PDA

View Full Version : Poor starting on the slipway

Worthing skier
05-16-2012, 09:16 AM
Hi All

I have a 1993 Prostar 190 with 285hp inmar (carb).
It always starts on the button while on the trailer on a level ground and also while it is on the lake at the pontoon etc .
All service items replaced , carb cleaned regularly and generally pampered as you do .
However every time I take it to the lake and sit it on the slipway on the trailer it cranks for ages and eventually starts like it has flooded .
I assume that the fuel in coming from the primary float bowl and flooding the engine.
The slip i use at the lake is very steep , I have tried letting it drift out a little before starting but I still have a a few cranking attempts to get it going .
Has any one had this problem ?

many thanks

Kevin

JimN
05-16-2012, 09:54 AM
Hi All

I have a 1993 Prostar 190 with 285hp inmar (carb).
It always starts on the button while on the trailer on a level ground and also while it is on the lake at the pontoon etc .
All service items replaced , carb cleaned regularly and generally pampered as you do .
However every time I take it to the lake and sit it on the slipway on the trailer it cranks for ages and eventually starts like it has flooded .
I assume that the fuel in coming from the primary float bowl and flooding the engine.
The slip i use at the lake is very steep , I have tried letting it drift out a little before starting but I still have a a few cranking attempts to get it going .
Has any one had this problem ?

many thanks

Kevin

The easiest way to clear a flooded engine is by opening the throttle more (sometimes, a lot more) and close it as soon as the engine fires up. Doing this will also keep you from killing your starter due to long crank times.

How much gas is in the tank? If it's almost empty, add gas. More gas will provide more pressure at the fuel pickup, allowing the fuel line to be filled better. Have you checked the fuel pickup tube and anti-siphon valve?

If you can borrow a gas tank from a small boat with an outboard, connect it to the fuel pump and see if it starts better. If it does, you may have a crimped fuel line or something else causing this between the tank and fuel pump.

When the carb has been cleaned, is it by spraying cleaner into it, or disassembly? If by disassembly, have you checked the float to see if it is leaky?

Worthing skier
05-16-2012, 10:04 AM
Hi

Yes I am fine to get going by 1/2 throttle , and only crank for a short while to save the starter motor .
The tank normally has a min of 1/2 a tank of fuel , not looked at the fuel pick up and not sure where the anti -siphon valve is ?.

The carb has been completely striped and float levels checked also new needle set fitted .

It just starts and runs so well all other times apart from when the angle of the boat is so step.

thanks

Kevin

east tx skier
05-16-2012, 10:48 AM
Jim, could it just be the high angle of the ramp (slipway).

thatsmrmastercraft
05-16-2012, 11:03 AM
For fuel to get through on an incline, I'm thinking I would replace the needle & seat and float, and make sure the float is adjusted correctly.

Somewhat applicable is all the four wheeling I did (lifted F150 short box step side). I used to have that truck at all angles without flooding issues.

JimN
05-16-2012, 11:09 AM
Hi

Yes I am fine to get going by 1/2 throttle , and only crank for a short while to save the starter motor .
The tank normally has a min of 1/2 a tank of fuel , not looked at the fuel pick up and not sure where the anti -siphon valve is ?.

The carb has been completely striped and float levels checked also new needle set fitted .

It just starts and runs so well all other times apart from when the angle of the boat is so step.

thanks

Kevin

The anti-siphon should be right at the tank- it's in the hose barb fitting that the fuel line slides onto. The fuel pickup is the fitting that threads into the top plate on the tank and the anti-siphon threads into it.

gweaver
05-16-2012, 01:44 PM
What about putting a check valve right before the carb? Might keep fuel from running back down the fuel line at steep angles.
G

SilviaMan
05-16-2012, 02:11 PM
Could it be the carb dumping fuel into the intake while trailering and the engine is just flooded.
Perhaps the incline really has nothing to do with it.
Improper float adjustment? Perhaps something sticking?

cbryan70
05-16-2012, 02:17 PM
why not add a mechanical fuel pump and just click the switch on before you go to start it for the first time? Mine had one on it when i bought it...

JimN
05-16-2012, 03:21 PM
What about putting a check valve right before the carb? Might keep fuel from running back down the fuel line at steep angles.
G

If there's any pressure at the pickup tube, it won't siphon backward, but vapor lock from high engine compartment temperature is possible. Have you ever opened the engine cover, in an attempt to get it to start?

You need free flow of gas from the tank to the fuel pump and loss of fuel supply, as well as higher fuel pressure, is why the pump is in the tank. If you want, you could replace the mechanical pump with an electric one located at the tank, but you would want to keep it from running just because the key is in the ON position. The Coast Guard would have a field day with your boat if they saw it and there was no way to stop the flow if the engine shuts off for a reason other than turning hte key OFF.