PDA

View Full Version : Not getting gas

87 TriStar 190
05-15-2012, 11:34 PM
I pulled the boat out of storage. Have not replaced the fuel filter for a few years. It's an 87 TriStar 190 with a 351. The fuel filter is on the passenger side in the bilge area. I replaced the filter. The old one seemed OK. Did not try to start it with the old filter. I put a new battery in then tried to start. Have cranked it over a lot and no fuel in the carb. I took the filter out again to see if the bowl had gas and it's dry. What do I do next. I bought it new and have never had any problems like this before. Hope it's something simple.

Thanks for any suggestions. I need help.

Fast50dad
05-15-2012, 11:53 PM
Man that's the pits, sorry to hear. My son's Chinese knock off four-wheeler that we bought from some friends had the same issue. I looked a the fuel filter and it was fine, then I realized there was no gas coming out from the tank through the fuel line. Checked the shutoff valve and it was open (doesn't apply in this case). I'm not recommending you do this, as I was working on a $300 machine. Hooked my air compressor up to the fuel line and blew air into the gas tank, and instant gas leak right in my garage. In my case the tank is corroding and some flakes plugged the fuel line. I am sure someone here has experienced the same issue and will reply. Good luck!

mikeg205
05-16-2012, 12:00 AM
fuel pump working?

pkskier
05-16-2012, 10:21 AM
Replace the rubber fuel line from the tank to the filter and fuel pump. The ethanol gas is tearing up the old rubber hoses.

east tx skier
05-16-2012, 10:43 AM
Before you do the fuel line, check to see if you have an antisiphon valve. I have not had mine 100% starve my engine where it would not start, but those little buggers get clogged up from the ethanol when a boat sits a good deal.

87 TriStar 190
05-16-2012, 03:56 PM
All good suggestions. Will look for check valve, but not aware of one. Maybe because I have not had problems before. The fuel pump was working fine last fall. It is original. My plan when I get home from work is to disconnect the fuel line at the inlet to the fuel pump and suck fuel through the lines and filter to that point to fill the filter bowl and lines. I have a tool to provide suction. Will not risk injesting gas. Reconnect the fuel line. Then put a little gas in the carb and put the flame arrestor back on. Then crank it to start. Theory is that a running engine will provide more vaccum than the starter turning it over. Might have to put fuel in the carb two or three times and start it while pumping the accerator to add fuel. Will have a water supply for cooling. I'm hoping that once I get the lines filled with gas the problem goes away. Remember. It's always something simple. It's a MasterCraft.

What do you think?

1redTA
05-16-2012, 04:23 PM
A splash of fuel down the carb will help

TX_Wake
05-16-2012, 09:50 PM
Fuse to the fuel pump got me once...

jhall0711
05-16-2012, 10:21 PM
Fuse to the fuel pump got me once...

Mechanical Fuel Pump... Cam Driven

SkiDog
05-16-2012, 10:28 PM
I just replaced the fuel line on my prostar and its all of a 10 minute job and less than $15.00. He's right, ethanol fuel is the culprit! That crap will destroy a rubber fuel line QUICK~!:mad:

87 TriStar 190
05-16-2012, 11:07 PM
I did suck gas up to the fuel pump. Was very easy to do. I could hear gas flowing out of the tank when I was holding a vacuum. Got tied up with yard work and didn't try to start tonight. Will tomorrow and I'll let you know. Thanks for the help.

87 TriStar 190
05-18-2012, 01:00 AM
Tonight I put water in a bucket and inserted the water pump hose from the scupper. Poured one tablespoon of fuel into each primary. Replaced the flame arrestor prior to starting. Started right up. Coughed a few times while it was getting fuel, then smoothed right out and ran perfectly. Ready for the weekend. Supposed to be nice in Southern Wisconsin. She's ready to go. This has been one great boat. Runs like a new one. It still pulls like a tractor. Thanks again for your suggestions and help. This site is great.

Lumbergh
05-18-2012, 01:33 AM
Thanks again for your suggestions and help. This site is great.

+1.

Team Talk has saved me thousands, in addition to providing me with the knowledge of the hive, years of experience here.

Philscbx
05-26-2012, 02:28 AM
Probably solved by now, but if not:
Whoops, didn't see pg 2, great that you got it going.

Save the cranking on starter, pretty tough duty for him.
Get the lab style squirt bottles about the size of restaurant ketchup with tube insert angled to fine tip.
A saved dish soap bottle works, and squirt fuel into standing vent tube of carb, if that style carb is used, and pre-fill the float bowl.
Gets the engine up and running instantly after squirt down it's throat and stays running.

Some Techron fuel system cleaner in the mix will help dissolve issues pending of old fuel varnish
that usually collects within slow speed jets.
Might as well let it get a head start with that process.

The diaphragm & check in fuel pump probably went dry and won't draw fuel.
With Tygon fuel line, a 3 foot section in place of old hose from tank, routed up to top of engine and clamped in place, fill tube with fuel, then insert tube in squeeze bottle of fuel.

Restart engine and watch fuel in tube feed the fuel pump to carb.
I'd say within 5 minutes, fuel pump should be ready to draw from tank.

I wouldn't want that fuel if it's been in there that long though.
Fresh fuel is a must. Recycle old fuel little by little in other power equipment.

Good Luck.
I'm pretty much at the same stage of running up 209 fresh out of storage.

87 TriStar 190
06-14-2012, 06:14 PM
I use SeaFoam in nearly every tank of gas. Never know when the boat won't be used for a while. The only time I don't is on vacation when I'm pouring gas through constantly.

I have a few year old snow blower that has stale gas problems every year no matter what I do for storage. I can put SeaFoam in every tank and then shut of the gas line and run it dry before summer storage and it still has problems in the fall when I start it. They tell me that new gas is only good for about three weeks. The smaller the engine the worse it gets.

The first day out this year I put nearly 4 hours on the boat. Good start to the year, but now it's been a few weeks. 97 on Saturday. Were we go.

mc190
08-07-2012, 07:12 PM
What kind of fuel line did you use? Also is this something you can get from auto parts house or marine grade?

Thanks!

Lumbergh
08-12-2012, 04:44 PM
http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=MPI350-0386

#2 on on skidim's top10 selling list. Maybe for a reason?

Easy job. More than 15 mins on my 91 PS, be maybe an hour taking your time and working slowly and methodically. Less than 10 routing clips and 2 hose clamps.

Assuming you have it taken apart (rear seat our, rear floor panel out, kick panel out, engine cover off.

Jason.H.
08-13-2012, 12:30 PM
fuel tank is under the walk-through in a tristar, not in the rear. Probably alot more difficult to replace the fuel hose.

homer12
08-13-2012, 01:17 PM
Anyone ever replaced fuel lines in a Tristar or at least had to pull those walk through panels out? I was hoping to see some pics because it looks like a pain to get out when the time comes.

pkskier
08-13-2012, 03:34 PM
I have replaced my fuel line and it is not hard. The floor panel has to come out which is held in with 4 screws, but in my model boat the pylon runs through this section of floor. The pylon needs to come out first which is easy also, just loosen 2 ublots and pull it out. Later models have a deck inspections opening where the fuel line and sending unit go into the tank.