PDA

View Full Version : Anyone experience rusting hardware and tabs?

TheWoons
05-15-2012, 09:56 PM
Anyone experience this before? Brand new boat and only has 10 hours on it. Two of the three tabs are fine, this one looks like this (getting covered under warranty soon I would assume) and included one pic of the other side that's fine:

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh295/RWoon/Lake/photo4.jpg
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh295/RWoon/Lake/photo3-1.jpg
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh295/RWoon/Lake/photo2-2.jpg
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh295/RWoon/Lake/photo1-2.jpg
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh295/RWoon/Lake/photo5.jpg

Heelgrad
05-15-2012, 09:58 PM
That doesn't look too good at all. I'll keep an eye on mine for sure. Should have no issues getting that resolved via warranty. Guess that's what the warranty is for.

TheWoons
05-15-2012, 10:04 PM
That doesn't look too good at all. I'll keep an eye on mine for sure. Should have no issues getting that resolved via warranty. Guess that's what the warranty is for.

I never had this issue with my other MC boats. I'm pretty irritated with MC at the moment even though they take care of stuff under warranty. It's just a hassle to drop it off, pick it up, get the parts in, etc. Stainless hardware and the tab piece shouldn't rust like this.

Heelgrad
05-15-2012, 10:06 PM
They couldn't have used non stainless hardware for those screws could they??? That would be just plain ridiculous. Also, I sure as heck hope the tabs are stainless but by the looks of it on how it's rusting it looks like they're just plated. You don't run brackish water do you? That's just depressing to see on your brand new ride.

Heelgrad
05-15-2012, 10:12 PM
TheWoons, just sent you a PM. Thanks man.

TheWoons
05-15-2012, 10:13 PM
They couldn't have used non stainless hardware for those screws could they??? That would be just plain ridiculous. Also, I sure as heck hope the tabs are stainless but by the looks of it on how it's rusting it looks like they're just plated. You don't run brackish water do you? That's just depressing to see on your brand new ride.

They might just be plated/coated but I'm waiting to hear back from MC. And no, the boat only goes to local lakes here in AZ. The odd part is the port side hardware and tab are all fine, the center tab is all ok except for one screw that starting to rust. The starboard side everything is jacked.

Heelgrad
05-15-2012, 10:19 PM
Jacked is an understatement. I'd be equally pissed. That's just unacceptable.

SkiDog
05-15-2012, 10:41 PM
Jacked is an understatement. I'd be equally pissed. That's just unacceptable.

Get it fixed and be done with it. Nothing to get your panties in a wad over.

Heelgrad
05-15-2012, 11:00 PM
Get it fixed and be done with it. Nothing to get your panties in a wad over.

My panties aren't in a wad. It's not my boat. But I have a question for you. Did you just spend over a 100k on a new boat? If you did my guess is you'd be equally pissed if you were having these issues...:twocents::twocents: glad to know you're looking out for my issues though...:woohoo::woohoo:

bobx1
05-15-2012, 11:19 PM
Something very strange is going on. The odds are beyond astronomical with that happening on one tab PLUS the hydraulic ram has surface corrosion as well but the others do not. With the rust on the ram, it almost looks like something was sprayed on that side and there is some reaction (like some type of cathodic reaction) going on.

Very curious to see what MC says - they may have to call out some scientist from NASA to figure this one out.....

toolz
05-15-2012, 11:27 PM
That's hard to understand. The screws, tab, ram, quick pin, hardware- all rusted, and only on one side. I'm with bobx1 on this one- gotta be some sort of cathodic/electrolysis thing going on.

Masterfull
05-15-2012, 11:45 PM
I have to side with 'bobx1' here.... It looks like some galvanic corrosion going on there....could possibly have some bonding issues...

AZX9
05-16-2012, 12:57 AM
Yep, something's Going on. It would be one thing if a pin or a stew that wasn't stainless was accidentally put on but there are major pieces that wouldn't even be available in carbon steel.

OP make sure action finds out what's causing this and doesn't just simply replace the parts. Although I'm sure MC will want pics and review so most likely it will get figured out.

TheWoons
05-16-2012, 01:08 AM
I will update everyone when I have answers. Heelgrad was on point as well. When you're spending this kind of coin on a boat it's very annoying having to deal with issues big or small especially when brand new.

sand2snow22
05-16-2012, 01:47 AM
Something very strange is going on. The odds are beyond astronomical with that happening on one tab PLUS the hydraulic ram has surface corrosion as well but the others do not. With the rust on the ram, it almost looks like something was sprayed on that side and there is some reaction (like some type of cathodic reaction) going on.

Very curious to see what MC says - they may have to call out some scientist from NASA to figure this one out.....

Any chance a strong hull cleaner hit that tab? Has the boat ever been moored?

TheWoons
05-16-2012, 01:50 AM
Any chance a strong hull cleaner hit that tab? Has the boat ever been moored?

No and no...

sand2snow22
05-16-2012, 02:11 AM
Very strange. Almost like all of the hardware on the bad side isn't stainless? I'm sure MC will take care of it!

Thrall
05-16-2012, 06:37 AM
Looks like someone cleaned out the stainless parts bins and was a half dozen screws and bolt and pin short and ran down to the hardware store for some parts!

FourFourty
05-16-2012, 10:33 AM

That is exactly what it is...... Something other than freshwater came into contact with that tab, and hardware.

Guessing by the looks of the corrosion, it happened since the boat came out of the water the last time.

My guess would be a citrus based cleaner, that was left on..... or an aluminum/wheel cleaning acid. The tabs are stainless, not plated. The parts in that photo come from three different vendors. There is no way that they all accidently manufactured and sold 1 mild steel component, and had all of those components merge together on one tab assembly.

I would love to point the finger at MC......Unfortunately, this is something that happenened to that tab recently. Does your dealer use an industrial citrus cleaner, or acid when detailing boats???

TheWoons
05-16-2012, 12:19 PM
There has been no citrus cleaner or acids of any kind anywhere near my boat. I am the only one that details it along with my guys that work for me who are professional detailers. I deal with a lot of high line cars as well and several other local high line dealers send their cars to us for detail work. There's a $300k SLR and a Murcialago getting done up right now... It's definitely not from anything we use. We even have a 300gal tank of triple deionized water we use for detailing everything.

Our boat hasn't been back to the dealer since taking delivery and even when it does go back for service and warranty work I won't let them detail it :)

vision
05-17-2012, 12:31 AM
This is depressing as it shows that MC's suppliers are not maintaining their quality, which is MCs job to monitor. Reminds me of bad toggle switches, T handles on swivel racks breaking, VDIGs needing to be replaced....

SkiDog
05-17-2012, 09:35 AM
I will update everyone when I have answers. Heelgrad was on point as well. When you're spending this kind of coin on a boat it's very annoying having to deal with issues big or small especially when brand new.

Yea, you're right in that sense. BUT, its nothing to get all bent outa shape over, hell, its just a boat!:D You're much more likely to get better dealer satisfaction IF you don't go hooting & hollering, and raising a buncha hell at the dealer. Its NOT their fault it happened. I had the same problem with my 07 X2 Saltwater series. looked back there one day and noticed the platform brackets were corroding badly. Took the ole girl back there, and had the issue fixed. Wasn't something to have a coronary about. I guess as I've gotten older, I've just got a lot more mellow. Its just not worth the trouble to get your blood boiling over small stuff. Now IF the dealer doesn't wanna help out a situation like this, yea, I'd be the FIRST to raise a little hell! Or a lot, if needed. You catch a lot more flies with honey, than vinegar!

CantRepeat
05-17-2012, 09:38 AM
This is depressing as it shows that MC's suppliers are not maintaining their quality, which is MCs job to monitor. Reminds me of bad toggle switches, T handles on swivel racks breaking, VDIGs needing to be replaced....

Yeah, I disagree. If it is only happening to one side of the boat and not the other, not to mention the fact it's only happening to one boat I'm gonna say it's not an MC or supplier issue.

SkiDog
05-17-2012, 09:38 AM
Anyone experience this before? Brand new boat and only has 10 hours on it. Two of the three tabs are fine, this one looks like this (getting covered under warranty soon I would assume) and included one pic of the other side that's fine:

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh295/RWoon/Lake/photo4.jpg
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh295/RWoon/Lake/photo3-1.jpg
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh295/RWoon/Lake/photo2-2.jpg
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh295/RWoon/Lake/photo1-2.jpg
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh295/RWoon/Lake/photo5.jpg

Is your boat a Saltwater Series?

FourFourty
05-17-2012, 10:25 AM
Yeah, I disagree. If it is only happening to one side of the boat and not the other, not to mention the fact it's only happening to one boat I'm gonna say it's not an MC or supplier issue.

I agree, this is not a quality issue. This is an issue of - The hardware came in contact with saltwater, brackish water, or a chemical of some sort.

Being as it is stainless components, a couple of minutes with a stainless cleaner and a brillo pad would make it good as new. Stainless can produce a rust residue on top of it(if accelerated by a chemical or salt) , but it usually doesn't pit..... It will usually wipe off fairly easily.

It may be as simple as- the last time you loaded the boat, there may have been a gasoline puddle in the water from another boat. If it got on that hardware and sat on it for a little while, after the boat was out of the water, it would create a rust haze like that...... Very unlikely, i know, but just throwing it out there.

TheWoons
05-17-2012, 12:17 PM
It's not a salt water series and the boat will never leave AZ except for Powell which is still in AZ/UT

sand2snow22
05-17-2012, 06:02 PM
Winner winner chicken dinner. Hot sauce has an acid in it. If you or any of your detailers hit those components with hot sauce. There you go....

TheWoons
05-17-2012, 10:23 PM
It's not from hot sauce for sure. There would be A LOT more boats with this issue if it was and our issue wouldn't be isolated to one of three tabs. And on top of that vinegar has a much higher acid content than hot sauce and people using vinegar and water dont have this issue. Spoke with MC today and they are thinking its some sort of electrolysis going on. Our underwater lights are flickering and it is probably related.

sand2snow22
05-18-2012, 02:26 AM
Flickering underwater lights can't be good. Should be easy to dive your head under there, follow the wires from the lights and look for a connection.