PDA

View Full Version : 1985 Mastercraft Stars n Stripe

mbrooks12
05-15-2012, 07:38 PM
I have a 1985 Mastercraft Stars n Stripe with only 409 hours on 351 pleasurecraft. I am the 3rd owner. It has been garage kept/dry storaged its whole life. I have owned it 4 years. Everything on the boat works. All you have to do is take it to a lake/river, get in it, and go.
Here is a list of things I have done to the boat.
1. Refurbished the trailer.
2. Got the engine in perfect aligment. When I bought the boat it would turn 34 rpms, today it turns 40 rpms. (polishing the bottom of boat helped this to, 3m rubbing compound, followed by 3m finesse-it)
3. New carburator and fuel pump, everything else on engine is in good or better shape.
4. Added a depth finder.
5. Installed new radio and speakers.
6. New interior, which brought the from 1985 to 2012.

Im asking $13,000.

ski_king
05-15-2012, 07:43 PM
Sounds nice! Lets see some photos.

Out the door price in 1985 is about what you are asking.

Lumbergh
05-15-2012, 08:33 PM
http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr66/Lumbergh556/This_thread_is_worthless_without_pictures.jpg

Jerseydave
05-15-2012, 08:36 PM
40 rpms? I think you mean 4000 rpms which is still a bit low for WOT. Should be 4400-4600 IIRC.
Sounds like a nice boat. Pics are a must.

east tx skier
05-15-2012, 08:40 PM
40 rpms? I think you mean 4000 rpms which is still a bit low for WOT. Should be 4400-4600 IIRC.
Sounds like a nice boat. Pics are a must.

Agreed. 4,400 is what that PCM 351 ought to turn. Do you have records for you and previous owners? What color is it.

Sounds like a cherry boat. I have often thought that if I was ever enough of a lunatic to own two boats, my second would be an 83 (late) to 85 S&S.

mbrooks12
05-15-2012, 09:05 PM
here are pictures.

mbrooks12
05-15-2012, 09:07 PM
engine

Heelgrad
05-15-2012, 09:08 PM
That boat looks outstanding!!! Had I not just dropped some coin on my new one, I'd be all over that.

AZDave
05-15-2012, 10:24 PM
After the price quote I had my doubts, until I saw the pictures. That is one nice boat!

81SNS
05-15-2012, 11:03 PM
mbrooks12 I assume by the tag on your Mustang you are in Alabama, I would like to know who did your interior, that is what I would like to do to my 81 model, you can pm me if you want.

mikeg205
05-15-2012, 11:09 PM
weeping that I can't buy it..... damn... hope one comes around when I am done with college tuition in a about 5 years...

mzimme
05-15-2012, 11:23 PM
Wow, gorgeous boat.

tph
05-16-2012, 01:47 AM
Nice interior. What is the purpose of the additional bracing on the swim platform?

mayo93prostar
05-16-2012, 07:32 AM
I noticed the extra braces too. These would make it very difficult if not impossible to put your slalom ski on on the platform. I suspect the bolts in the lower bracket started pulling out and this is how someone fixed it. I agree the interior is nice but I think the price is 2-4k high based on the year of the boat when you can get a 91-94 moel year for that price. Nice boat, good luck with sale.

mbrooks12
05-16-2012, 11:53 AM
Harwell custom upholstery did the interior. He does first class work. If you are interested in contacting him here is his email. pilot@fpunet.com

The platform came loose last summer. To avoid that situation again I fabricated the braces for the top. You have plenty of room to do whatever you need to do on it.

Pictures truly do not to the boat justice. In person is much better. In my opinion.

Also, I forgot to mention I replaced the steering cable this winter. I feel like it was a major upgrade, I went from a rotary system to rack and pinion. It made a huge improvement.

1985 Skiier
05-16-2012, 07:57 PM
Very Nice Boat! I am dreading the day that I have to replace my original interior but it makes makes the idea much easier after seeing yours. The grey looks nice. What is under your side rail pads in the middle hanging down? Those wholes for the swim platform braces must have been tuff to drill. I once took two weeks to drill holes for flush mount rod holders in my fishing boat.

TNPIG
05-17-2012, 09:30 AM
Harwell custom upholstery did the interior. He does first class work. If you are interested in contacting him here is his email. pilot@fpunet.com

The platform came loose last summer. To avoid that situation again I fabricated the braces for the top. You have plenty of room to do whatever you need to do on it.

Pictures truly do not to the boat justice. In person is much better. In my opinion.

Also, I forgot to mention I replaced the steering cable this winter. I feel like it was a major upgrade, I went from a rotary system to rack and pinion. It made a huge improvement.
That's the same color combo as my 84S&S. Looks like the main difference is that your iginition is on the left side of the steering wheel and mine is on the right. I like the extra brace idea for the platform. The top bolts on the left and right swim platform on my boat are loose and I've been told it's a major pain to get in there a correct the problem. I guess they'll just be loose...

mbrooks12
05-18-2012, 05:48 PM
They are speakers, it has turned out to be a great location for them.

Cloaked
05-19-2012, 06:42 AM
I have a 1985 Mastercraft Stars n Stripe with only 409 hours on 351 pleasurecraft.
Im asking $13,000. I have looked this thread over several times.... My accurate market value indicator says that the machine is valued at $7K - $8K.

The platform outriggers are nothing but a fix for a problem that will never go away with the platform mounting brackets until they are properly repaired. All of the other maintenance and add-ons are a sunken cost to you. One never gets back the attachment cost of making a boat right. The trailer has been modified to a lesser degree of personal preference with the prop box. The interior is not professional grade work that matches OEM appearance. Other improvements would have been necessary regardless. $13K will get a potential boat buyer into a 94 - 97 model with a similar setup. I am not dissing your machine or your perception of worth, but it needs to be said after all this oogling over a boat that is priced ~5K too high. The outriggers on the platform need to go. Nice looking machine but it's average at best.

$0.02

mbrooks12
05-19-2012, 12:29 PM
Thanks for you input.

I will say the interior is 110% professional grade. One would be hard pressed to find someone to do as quality of work as Phil Harwell. We designed the interior with the goal of being unique and bringing the boat into the 21st century. We successfully achieved that.

This boat is above average, in just about everyway possible. The person who eventually buys this boat will be getting a fine piece of machinery and years of excellent service on the water.