PDA

View Full Version : will this tow? Or is it too old to tow the X45?

ARZA
05-15-2012, 07:41 PM
i ahve a 1998 Expedition that i inherited from my folks. Its a 5.4L 4x4 V8 with 195k miles on it (basically used as a grocery getter).

Im pondering whether or not its a good idea to try to tow my X45(24.5 ft 6200lbs all up) across the state for memorial day from Seattle to Spokane which is 250miles each way (with one gradual grade hill as i am going across the cascade mountains).

You think i will be good to attempt this or is the truck too old??? really value your input and experiance here.

tommyadrian5
05-15-2012, 07:48 PM
i ahve a 1998 Expedition that i inherited from my folks. Its a 5.4L 4x4 V8 with 195k miles on it (basically used as a grocery getter).

Im pondering whether or not its a good idea to try to tow my X45(24.5 ft 6200lbs all up) across the state for memorial day from Seattle to Spokane which is 250miles each way (with one gradual grade hill as i am going across the cascade mountains).

You think i will be good to attempt this or is the truck too old??? really value your input and experiance here.

Its big enough. As long as the cooling system is intact and functions well and the braking system is in good shape i don't really see a problem with it. I think towing safety is more a function of the driver than the vehicle. Do a test run around town, make sure it isn't overheating at all with the boat behind it, especially going up hills.

ARZA
05-15-2012, 07:50 PM
Its been absolutely fine around town. Its the pass that i worry about, given its mileage and age. The truck hasnt shown any issues whatsoever outside of that.

Thrall
05-15-2012, 07:53 PM
Won't win any races but the Ex is big enough if it's in good mech cond. I'd be worried about the tongue weight on the back of the truck. Assuming the 45 has even more tongue weight than my X2 which I'd pretty tongue heavy maybe get some overloads or airbags for the back.

Thrall
05-15-2012, 07:54 PM
Its been absolutely fine around town. Its the pass that i worry about, given its mileage and age. The truck hasnt shown any issues whatsoever outside of that.

Snoqualmie pass isn't bad compared to most passes but keep her slow and it'll be fine

CantRepeat
05-15-2012, 08:16 PM
For me, the bigger issue is stopping the 6200 lbs when you're not ready to do so.

mtbiker29
05-15-2012, 09:30 PM
I used to tow my enclosed car trailer, race car and 4 wheeler (total was north of 6000 for sure) with both a 97 Tahoe and a 2000 Yukon. The Yukon had a 5.3 and was a bit underpowered. The Tahoe was great, and I would say very comparable to the Expedition's wheelbase.

As for mileage if it's been maintained I think you'll be fine. I just towed my PS 205 about 500 miles home with a jeep GC that has 177K. Brakes and tires are key. Does it have a tow package/trans cooler? That's the biggest variable when it comes to that hill climb.

Good luck!

east tx skier
05-15-2012, 09:34 PM
I have a 2001 XLT Sport (basically the same car, but 2WD) with 109,000 miles on it. Tows just fine, even with the 3.33 gear ratio. Added the transmission cooler, hitch and some stiffer shocks in the rear, and it does great. Have towed a boat from Texas to St. Louis and had more trouble with the trailer (tires) than the truck (zero trouble).

93ProStar205
05-15-2012, 09:52 PM
You prob already know this, but stay out of OD most of the time and certainly when driving up hills. Really heats up a slushbox, particularly an old one.

east tx skier
05-15-2012, 09:57 PM
Yeah, absolutely. I turn the overdrive off whenever I leave the driveway with the boat.

mtajpa
05-15-2012, 10:07 PM
Towed my 99 230 Maristar from Vegas to Lake of the Osarks Missouri with my wifes 05 Exp. 5.4 did ok but only got 9 MPG. Had to run with odrive off. It is big enough never felt out of control when braking. Make sure you service the trans regularly.

SteveO
05-15-2012, 10:19 PM
Won't win any races but the Ex is big enough if it's in good mech cond. I'd be worried about the tongue weight on the back of the truck. Assuming the 45 has even more tongue weight than my X2 which I'd pretty tongue heavy maybe get some overloads or airbags for the back.

I'm in the process of doing a west coast to TN trip and was curious where I could get airbags on my sequoia in the Seattle area?

ttu
05-15-2012, 10:27 PM
I'm in the process of doing a west coast to TN trip and was curious where I could get airbags on my sequoia in the Seattle area?

i had a local shop truck suspension shop do mine on my 06 land cruiser. might check that route. they helped a ton!!!

mikeg205
05-15-2012, 11:20 PM
towing package on it? trans cooler needed fer sure and stay out of overdrive...staying out of overdrive keeps the fluid flowing better. If you hadn't had a trans fluid change have one before you tow....my .02 :D :D

Forrest-X45
05-16-2012, 12:44 AM

Call Mann's Eastside Hitch and Weld. Bill is a good guy and has done lots of installs and work for me. He is located in Bellevue across the street from Lake Bellevue and next to Barrier Porsche.

http://www.mann****ch.com/

You could also go to Les Schwab but I would NOT recommend it.

BriEOD
05-16-2012, 02:38 AM
Have towed a boat from Texas to St. Louis and had more trouble with the trailer (tires) than the truck (zero trouble).

Ahh...I remember the plight of Doug...

Thrall
05-16-2012, 06:32 AM

I don't have any reccomendations, only been here a year, but ^ Forrest does.

Most vehicle specific kits are a pretty easy bolt on installation. Also look at Timbrens load levelers. VERY easy install, just replace the factory bump stops with much longer solid bump stops. They work well and are reasonable priced and only 2 bolts to R&I to install them. Down side is that they stiffen up the suspension all the time.

captain planet
05-16-2012, 09:55 AM

Your probably going to wish you had a longer wheel base to pull a 24' boat. An excursion or a Suburban will tow better. Just watch your speed and if it starts to sway take your foot out of the gas and coast until it stops.

east tx skier
05-16-2012, 10:40 AM
Ahh...I remember the plight of Doug...

One of my plights, my friend. :)

BriEOD
05-16-2012, 10:54 AM
I thought you towed it into St. Louis with the "Family Truckster." "Yo holmes..."

scott023
05-16-2012, 11:30 AM
For me, the bigger issue is stopping the 6200 lbs when you're not ready to do so.

DING DING DING. My thoughts exactly. Make sure your brakes are up to snuff, and you should be fine.

SilviaMan
05-16-2012, 11:52 AM
found this in wikipedia.
"Over the years the Expedition’s towing capacity has grown from 8,100 lb (3,700 kg) to a current rating of 9,200 lbs (when properly equipped)."
Doesn't sound far off to me.
As stated above, even if the brakes feel fine I would have someone go through them and make sure they are perfect. (We clean and lube alot of brakes here in ohio to restore proper braking)
If it doesn't have a transmission cooler get one installed. Have the fluid serviced and filter changed. While they have the pan off they can see how much crap has accumulated in the pan and on the magnet.
Have the suspension checked out also. I see alot of that vintage ford "trucks" with worn out ball joints in the front end.
Then as always use common sense while towing, your rig will let you know what it likes and doesn't.

east tx skier
05-16-2012, 12:03 PM
I thought you towed it into St. Louis with the "Family Truckster." "Yo holmes..."

No, my brother. That old girl got 13 mpg on the highway when it was new in 1984. When I was towing with her, I was lucky to get 6 mpg average. Add that to its only having a 15 gallon tank and that would have made for a lousy cross country trip. :o

Even when I wasn't towing, I couldn't make it from Tyler to Houston without filling up. You could literally watch the gas gauge fall.

Fun car and an absolute beast on the ramp in 4WL. You could pull the 205 out at idle speed.