PDA

View Full Version : talk about a distraction

rodltg2
08-19-2005, 02:43 AM
so i'm at the ski lake last night getting in some sets, when im skiing and notice a helcopter getting really close and low. of course all distracted i fell. when i look up the helicopter goes by the turn around island and hovers about 10 ft above. dunks this tube in water. apparenlty there was a fire near by. this went on about 10 times. at one point he even turned his siren on to warn another skier/boat that was out there. we decided no hold up the skiing till he was done making trips to fill his tank up. needless to say i skied like crap last night.

AirJunky
08-19-2005, 03:48 AM
Yea, that is kinda distracting. :uglyhamme

sizzler
08-19-2005, 04:30 AM
its like the "urban myth" story of how they found a fully suited frogman complete with aqualung in the middle of a forest fire...apparently he had been sucked up by one of those helicopter hoses :eek: and dumped over the fire

BriEOD
08-19-2005, 08:46 AM
its like the "urban myth" story of how they found a fully suited frogman complete with aqualung in the middle of a forest fire...apparently he had been sucked up by one of those helicopter hoses :eek: and dumped over the fire
I've heard that one as well.

MarkP
08-19-2005, 08:53 AM
I think “Myth Busters” dispelled that one.

sizzler
08-19-2005, 09:01 AM
how mark........????

is there some sort of filter in the pipe to stop fish and cr4p being sucked up???

Leroy
08-19-2005, 09:07 AM
Rod; That would be scary! I know up the road form you in Grass Valley/Nevada City, the fire planes take smoke seriously, I've seen them several times and they fly like crazy when there is a wisp of smoke.

MarkP
08-19-2005, 09:08 AM
how mark........????

is there some sort of filter in the pipe to stop fish and cr4p being sucked up???
I think it was a suction issue..

RickDV
08-19-2005, 09:12 AM
I think it was a suction issue..

Yes, it was a suction issue as well as the diameter of the fill tube was too small for a person.

bigmac
08-19-2005, 09:42 AM
so i'm at the ski lake last night getting in some sets, when im skiing and notice a helcopter getting really close and low. of course all distracted i fell. when i look up the helicopter goes by the turn around island and hovers about 10 ft above. dunks this tube in water. apparenlty there was a fire near by. this went on about 10 times. at one point he even turned his siren on to warn another skier/boat that was out there. we decided no hold up the skiing till he was done making trips to fill his tank up. needless to say i skied like crap last night.

Minnesota has a couple of Canadair CL-215's based here in Brainerd. These things are wild - they fill up their water tanks by skimming the lake surface and scooping up water. They try to use lakes that aren't heavily used, but they need enough room that the lake has to be big enough for them. When they're scooping water, most lakes just shut down for skiing.

http://home.ca.inter.net/~rapickler/215lge.jpg

milkmania
08-19-2005, 10:50 AM
These things are wild - they fill up their water tanks by skimming the lake surface and scooping up water.

no room for pilot error:worthy:

bigmac
08-19-2005, 11:02 AM
A couple of years ago, a local helicopter pilot around here that was contracted with the DNR for firefighting was scooping water with a bucket slung under the chopper. He lowered it into the water to fill it and didn't realize that the lift cable had looped over his skid. When he went to lift out of hover, the bucket weight tipped him beyond the chopper's critical angle and he did one of those dynamic rollovers (http://www.helicoptersonly.com/sayagain_maneuversdynamic1.html) into the lake.

Ric
08-19-2005, 11:19 AM
I would hate to miss ski time, but it had to have been pretty cool to watch

rodltg2
08-19-2005, 12:40 PM
our lake is full of fish, being a fish farm and all, he must have sucked up at least a couple.

Ric
08-19-2005, 12:41 PM
our lake is full of fish, being a fish farm and all, he must have sucked up at least a couple.
that's not dr. jim's lake is it?

rodltg2
08-19-2005, 12:44 PM
unfortunalety not, or i'd finally get my 28 pass

kpickett
08-19-2005, 02:30 PM
Did it look something like this?

rodltg2
08-19-2005, 02:43 PM
copter was smaller but the hose attachment looks the same

LakePirate
08-19-2005, 03:50 PM
If memory serves me correctly there was a filter on the end of it to keep the fish from getting sucked into the pipe. MythBusters did like a whole show on this, they couldn't figure out how to get Buster sucked up into any of the methods.

Ryan
08-19-2005, 04:00 PM
Hey Bigmac, do you have a shortage on fire engines up there? The only time I've heard of puting out structure fires with planes was in the movie Always. I love it!

I always wanted to be a fire pilot. Fire Hawks (http://lacountyfire.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album26&op=modload&name=Gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php).

erkoehler
08-19-2005, 04:02 PM
Hey Bigmac, do you have a shortage on fire engines up there? The only time I've heard of puting out structure fires with planes was in the movie Always. I love it!

I always wanted to be a fire pilot. Fire Hawks (http://lacountyfire.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album26&op=modload&name=Gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php).

Cool shots! I guess if you have the planes, might as well use them for anything......

JEREMY79
08-19-2005, 04:02 PM
If memory serves me correctly there was a filter on the end of it to keep the fish from getting sucked into the pipe. MythBusters did like a whole show on this, they couldn't figure out how to get Buster sucked up into any of the methods.

poor buster

he gets the chit beat out of him all the time.

funny show though. Those guys have to have the coolest job ever.

AirJunky
08-19-2005, 04:03 PM
Hehehehe, get out of the city sometime, Ryan. Not many fire engines up in the woods. Washington has had a ton of forest fires set by lightning strikes this year. That & careless smokers pitching lit cigarettes out the window keep the choppers busy as it is. Trying to drive a 30k lb rig up those logging roads would be a sloooooooow process.

erkoehler
08-19-2005, 04:05 PM
Hehehehe, get out of the city sometime, Ryan. Not many fire engines up in the woods. Washington has had a ton of forest fires set by lightning strikes this year. That & careless smokers pitching lit cigarettes out the window keep the choppers busy as it is. Trying to drive a 30k lb rig up those logging roads would be a sloooooooow process.

Depends where your at I guess. Up in Northern WI, there are alot of "Woods" and volunteer fire departments. In many cases, their equipment is nicer than the equipment that I see in the Chicagoland area. They are more involved, so the donations are greater.

bfinley
08-19-2005, 04:11 PM
I believe Ryan was asking about puting out structure fires (buildings) with airplanes.

Ryan
08-19-2005, 05:17 PM
Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see any woods in the picture. I just figured that a market economy that can support retail stores, like the ones burning, would probably have a fire department.

I do get my vitimin green every year in Montana. :D You know that spot by the little park that burned... Yellow... something or other - I can't remember, I don't get out to the woods much.

Ryan
08-19-2005, 05:21 PM
During the LA riots the county had their Canadairs all ready to go to put out the fires - but they called it off out of fear that their brand new leased planes would get holes shot into them like the fire engines did. That, and lawsuits from potential damage of hitting adjacent buildings that weren't burning.

pilot02
08-19-2005, 05:57 PM
During the LA riots the county had their Canadairs all ready to go to put out the fires - but they called it off out of fear that their brand new leased planes would get holes shot into them like the fire engines did. That, and lawsuits from potential damage of hitting adjacent buildings that weren't burning.

They should have dropped their loads on the arses on the ground!!!

AirJunky
08-19-2005, 06:38 PM
Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see any woods in the picture. .
Yep, I stand corrected.
Looks like some sort of warehouse or hangar to me. Maybe the trucks were busy elsewhere. I'd bet all the trucks, planes & helicopters were pretty busy in the California fires a couple years ago.
Speaking of which.......

bigmac
08-19-2005, 06:58 PM

The only time the DNR gets involved with structure fires is if it's part of a grass or forest fire. I don't know why they were dumping on the building in the picture, but if you came to the Brainerd 4th of July parade, you'd know thatwe have plenty of fire engines around these parts.

These shots are from the Minneapolis paper taken at the current fire in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area.

http://www.startribune.com/stonline/images/news20/DTI_1647426.l.jpg

http://www.startribune.com/stonline/images/news74/DTI_1645220.l.jpg