PDA

View Full Version : Bimini top advice needed for 1996 prostar 205

jakethebt
05-14-2012, 12:57 PM
I am looking to put a bimini top on a 1996 prostar 205. The boat came with a factory bimini which mounts to the windshield. I am looking to order a new one from overtons.

Question #1. I think that I can mount this to the same windshield mounts?

Question #2. I think that I want it 6'+ off the floor so 6' tall people can walk under it.

Question #3. I am thinking of ordering the 4 bow 8' top in Sunbrella. This seems huge. I think that it will be plenty for driver and observer seat. It may even cast some shade on the bow seats, which would would be great. I am trying to balance shade (the entire point of the bimini) vs appearance. I have never seen a prostar with an 8' bimini. Anyone have pics of an 8' bimini on a prostar? How do the 6 biminis look?

Advice/opinions welcome here...

Summary... looking at 4 bow frame, 73"-78" wide 42" height. Too big? Any pics?

jakethebt
05-15-2012, 11:57 AM
I have never seen you guys to not have an opinion...:confused:

BrianM
05-15-2012, 12:20 PM
Never seen one that big on a Prostar 205. Would probably work out as you wish but will look huge. I'd use a 6ft 3 bow.

Mounting it 6ft off the floor will provide less coverage. Will also look like it is way up there. I like the coverage and the look of them mounted low. Mine is mounted only about 12 inches over the windshield.

jakethebt
05-15-2012, 04:04 PM
I hear you BrianM. If I had a 190, I would also mount it low. With the walk throught bow, I the 6' height would be better.

I initialy thought the 6' 3 bow would be better too, but now I am not sure.

What is the distance from floor to roof?

Stritt
05-15-2012, 06:17 PM
I just added a tower and so I had to reconfigure the Bimini.....Mine is @ 5'4" off the floor now. The top is a 3 bow and it measures 79"..length by 65" wide......It starts at the open bow seat back and extends past the pylon about 20".

Before and after tower pics...

BrianM
05-15-2012, 07:25 PM
I hear you BrianM. If I had a 190, I would also mount it low. With the walk throught bow, I the 6' height would be better.

I initialy thought the 6' 3 bow would be better too, but now I am not sure.

What is the distance from floor to roof?

We mounted one in my buddies 97 205 same as mine. Works great. Yeah you have to duck but the shade is worth it.

jakethebt
05-15-2012, 09:30 PM
Thanks for the help.

Stritt, that looks realy nice. I see that I am not the only one thinking about just using the grab rails to hook the straps up to. How did you mount the stand up poles to the rail to keep the bimini up when not in use?

jakethebt
05-15-2012, 09:39 PM
Thanks for the help.

Stritt, that looks realy nice. I see that I am not the only one thinking about just using the grab rails to hook the straps up to. How did you mount the stand up poles to the rail to keep the bimini up when not in use?

Stritt
05-15-2012, 10:29 PM
The connection to the rails work but it's a pain to unclip. Since adding the tower I installed the clip to the tower leg.

The rear support poles are connected to a std Bimini top mount but using pins instead of screws. Without them you either used the Bimini all day or left it at home, so we had this setup on our Cobalt and we duplicated. I have removed these mounts since we installed the tower, now I have to figure a way to fill in or cover the holes.

Have you checked the cost of a local shop to make one to your specifications? Here in Florida I wouldn't go to 6' height we need the shade. I would have gone back to 5' like before but needed the height to use the racks a little easier. I am 6' tall and it's fine for me, my wife is 5'3" so she is happy. You know the saying....happy wife happy life :)

jakethebt
05-15-2012, 10:40 PM
Thanks for the help. So is there much of a shade difference from 6' to 5'4"?

east tx skier
05-16-2012, 09:19 AM
Mount it low. It will look and function better.

Here is a low 2 bow on my old 205.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-DZyulOTLRlE/T7OonChRFjI/AAAAAAAAFOk/N9QvvjrgJWk/s650/Bimini%2520Mod%2520Side%2520View.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-VQtDG4Ncxyk/T7OonAq4FsI/AAAAAAAAFOo/zWqA2nyzh7w/s650/2007%2520MC%2520Water%2520Shot.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-DuarC9siiVo/S3rB_ezBlZI/AAAAAAAACtE/0yqHlyZxjZk/s593/Buzzard%2520Buoy%2520MC%2520Picture%2520%2528Web%2 529.jpg

Stritt
05-16-2012, 09:27 AM
Thanks for the help. So is there much of a shade difference from 6' to 5'4"?

Depends on where you live and how much you boat in the afternoons... I am assuming if you are looking at a 8' Bimini your interested in a lot of shade. The lower the better for shade but diminish easy movements. IMHO....if you mount low the longer the Bimini the more difficult the movements will be in the boat....looking at the low mounts posted they look to be 4 or 5 foot tops....an additional 3 to 4 foot of crouching would make a difference to me.

jakethebt
05-16-2012, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the help guys. I will have to do some more thinking about this one...

So it looks like some of them mount on the windshield frame, and others to the fiberglass just below. Are you reinforcing the glass for the bimini, or is that just for towers with more load on them?

Stritt
05-16-2012, 12:57 PM
No backing plate on my original install, I did through bolt with a large washer versus using the screws provided. Tower has plates glassed in to help distribute the load.

PocketThunder
05-31-2012, 05:32 PM
I just added a tower and so I had to reconfigure the Bimini.....Mine is @ 5'4" off the floor now. The top is a 3 bow and it measures 79"..length by 65" wide......It starts at the open bow seat back and extends past the pylon about 20".

Before and after tower pics...

Hi, where did you buy your bimini and tower? I'm looking to do the same in the near future. Bimini now, tower later. thanks
Paul

Ben
07-16-2012, 12:25 PM
Also looking for advice to where to get a bimini. '94 205. Pretty sure I'll do the 5', 3 bow version, relatively low mount.

Did anyone go with the aluminum rear supports instead of straps? I'm not sure if I'd leave this on the boat when not being used. If so, it would help with access to the front of the boat for the kids.

Finally, boat is grey with thick black and thin blue stripe. Recommendations on bimini color? Was initally thinking black, but maybe blue would be cool.

homer12
07-16-2012, 11:20 PM
Here's what I just installed on our Tristar. Manufacturers dimensions are 5' long, 73-78" wide, and 30" high. Just had our first weekend with it and very pleased! Oh yeah, added a zippered hole for the pylon by a local fabricator for $35. We saw rain and sun, worked great for both the way it is mounted.