PDA

View Full Version : Need an education on satelite TV, Internet and Phone service?

jkski
05-14-2012, 12:04 PM
I need a little education on satelite TV, Internet and Phone service for a home. Specifically, I am in the process of planning my home build and being that the house will sit roughly 1400 feet off the road, I am trying to figure out the best way to get TV, Phone and Interent service back to it. I could run cable and a phone line back in a trench but, exactly how does the satelite service provided by the likes of DishNetwork and the others work? Do you still have to have a landline running to your house from the existing phone company and then they somehow piggyback on that for phone and internet or does everything come thru the dish somehow?

In other words, if I go the route of a dish, do I need to run a phone line back to my house for phone and internet service?

Thanks in advance.

CantRepeat
05-14-2012, 12:09 PM
I think the big issue with satellite internet is is the upstream or reverse path. You can download at some pretty good rates but upstream is very slow. When I was in Iraq we had a 1.5 meg down stream but only 256k up stream.

Times could have change since then but I do not know.

mzimme
05-14-2012, 12:09 PM
I know for Direct TV you do not need a phone land line. You'll need an ethernet plug in somewhere if you want the "on demand" movies and whatnot, but you don't need a phone line to have service.

As for internet, unless you have no other options, I wouldn't use Direct TV's internet. It's very slow compared to a cable company's service.

Double D
05-14-2012, 12:14 PM
Jeff, I am not current on what all Satellite companies will provide related to internet, but from what I have heard in the past, its very expensive and data use gets controlled once you use too much.

If I were in your position I would plan to lay the trench and run phone and cable back to the house so you are not held hostage by the Satellite companies cost and service.

If you use AT&T, you can use the phone line as your internet if you go with DSL. However, then you would be held hostage by AT&T.

My thoughts... Let me know if you need any clarification.

I need a little education on satelite TV, Internet and Phone service for a home. Specifically, I am in the process of planning my home build and being that the house will sit roughly 1400 feet off the road, I am trying to figure out the best way to get TV, Phone and Interent service back to it. I could run cable and a phone line back in a trench but, exactly how does the satelite service provided by the likes of DishNetwork and the others work? Do you still have to have a landline running to your house from the existing phone company and then they somehow piggyback on that for phone and internet or does everything come thru the dish somehow?

In other words, if I go the route of a dish, do I need to run a phone line back to my house for phone and internet service?

Thanks in advance.

jkski
05-14-2012, 12:16 PM
Thanks for the quick replies.
I have options, including cable, which is likely the way to go from what it sounds like in order to maintain the speed. If I run the cable back then that is all I would need as phone and interet come thru that now.

jkski
05-14-2012, 12:18 PM
Jeff, I am not current on what all Satellite companies will provide related to internet, but from what I have heard in the past, its very expensive and data use gets controlled once you use too much.

If I were in your position I would plan to lay the trench and run phone and cable back to the house so you are not held hostage by the Satellite companies cost and service.

If you use AT&T, you can use the phone line as your internet if you go with DSL. However, then you would be held hostage by AT&T.

My thoughts... Let me know if you need any clarification.

Makes perfect sense, thanks for the education.
On a side note we may be making an appearance at your lake this Sunday as the weather is looking good!!!

Double D
05-14-2012, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the quick replies.
I have options, including cable, which is likely the way to go from what it sounds like in order to maintain the speed. If I run the cable back then that is all I would need as phone and interet come thru that now.

That's true as well if you are OK with not having that copper line, hooked to a standard phone, that provides phone service when cable, internet, and cellular go down.... :mad:

Double D
05-14-2012, 12:21 PM
Makes perfect sense, thanks for the education.
On a side note we may be making an appearance at your lake this Sunday as the weather is looking good!!!

This Sunday, the 20th?? Hmmm.... Let me put that on my schedule. Why the visit??

jkski
05-14-2012, 12:27 PM
This Sunday, the 20th?? Hmmm.... Let me put that on my schedule. Why the visit??

Just cause we can!!! It is not for sure yet as we will have to see how the week plays out but rest assured we will be on the water somewhere Sunday as they are saying 84 degree's right now at least!!!
I will let you know for sure later in the week and thanks again for the advice.

Double D
05-14-2012, 12:36 PM
Just cause we can!!! It is not for sure yet as we will have to see how the week plays out but rest assured we will be on the water somewhere Sunday as they are saying 84 degree's right now at least!!!
I will let you know for sure later in the week and thanks again for the advice.

Anytime sir! Lets hope that weather report holds all week!!!

thatsmrmastercraft
05-14-2012, 01:03 PM
Cable internet isn't the same from all providers. When I had internet from the cable TV provider, I was at the end of the line and even though the numbers were big, my actual speeds were slow. When I bundled through the local land-line phone company, I got Direct TV (I would never have Dish Network again and I like Direct way better than cable) and internet through the land-line phone provider. The work off centralized distribution points (nub) and I have one three doors down from me and my speed is fantastic. Plus I refer a lot of people to Direct TV and am getting $100 discounts on a pretty regular basis.

Table Rocker
05-14-2012, 01:10 PM
For your phone service, check out ooma. I bought one 3 years ago and haven't paid a dime since. Unlimited incoming/outgoing and long distance for free over your internet.

For some reason I have always felt like I couldn't do without a home phone and ooma was the solution for me.

ooma.com

Ski-me
05-14-2012, 01:19 PM
I currently use Verizon Wireless as my home line now and it works great. Basically $9.99 for an additional line.

I use our local phone company for DSL only. I haven't done a test in awhile but here are my results:
6.29 Mbps Download
0.85 Mbps Upload

At my mom's house in Idaho, she is using Satellite Internet and her results:
1.31 Mbps Download
0.59 Mbps Upload

JohnnyB
05-14-2012, 02:34 PM
My house is about 700ft from the road so i am in a similar situation except that cable is not available on my road nor is DSL.

The telephone cable was run back to my house in the same trench as the power line....I coordinated through the power company and they worked with the phone company to do both at once....they actually directionally bored both. Should we ever get DSL access, this is handy to have and really didn't cost me additional to run the phone line.

I run satellite TV and plan to switch every two years between Dish and Direct TV to get the discounts and new hardware.

Broadband is currently from Viasat and is bundled with Dish. Just had it installed a few months ago and get 300k up/16M down on average.

Prior to viasat, I was getting internet through a local cell phone provider...kind of a home version of an air card....wireless multiport router linked to the cell tower for data stream....about 1/2 to 3/4 the speed of DSL but adequate.

My home phone is a cellular based signal. Basically, I've got a box I plug into one outlet and it broadcasts to all my wired phones in the house. It is an additional line on my montly cell bill so it costs me another $10 on my plan and includes nationwide long distance, etc.

Jeff d
05-14-2012, 03:22 PM

I was suggesting to forget about the internet as far as live TV is concerned and get another dish for the lake house. You implied that you're already paying for satellite TV at home. So, you'd just bring your current receiver from the house that already has a subscription to the services and plug it into the second dish at the lake house.

If I misunderstood and you've got cable at your regular house you could cancel it and get Direct TV or Dish Network along with a second dish for the lake house (from a third party) so that you'd be able to get service at either location.