PDA

View Full Version : stiff stearing

sheckski
05-14-2012, 10:11 AM
Took out our 2000 205 v for the first run of the year yesterday. Steering was very stiff. i had replaced the steering cable last year, or perhaps the year before. I know there is a grease nipple on the cable. Would a hit of grease help loosen up the cable? Do i need to open the end when adding grease? Otherwise any suggestions on how to free the steering up without having to replace the cable?

CantRepeat
05-14-2012, 10:14 AM
Greasing the cable is a yearly maintenance to do. You should also take a look at the rudder port and see if there is a grease fitting on it as well. If not, you should consider pulling the rudder out and greasing it manually.

sheckski
05-14-2012, 10:30 AM
I had been told by my dealer that greasing the cable will build up pressure inside the cable and actually make it stiff. Any truth to this? if so, is there any guide as to how much grease, if i open the end of te cable, etc? i do have a fitting on the rudder and will hit that as well.

Table Rocker
05-14-2012, 11:14 AM
I had been told by my dealer that greasing the cable will build up pressure inside the cable and actually make it stiff. Any truth to this? if so, is there any guide as to how much grease, if i open the end of te cable, etc? i do have a fitting on the rudder and will hit that as well.The Zerk fitting on my cable does not have a ball in it. That way it doesn't hold pressure. Yours should be the same.

It's a good idea to put a shop rag over the fitting after you grease it. If you fill it up an then crank the steering, grease shoots out like a squirt gun.

CantRepeat
05-14-2012, 11:38 AM
It always helps to cycle the steering while greasing the rudder port. Also, there should be a grease fitting on tiller arm where the cable is bolted. See TRs post about the cable fitting.

CantRepeat
05-14-2012, 11:39 AM
Let me rephrase that. Not the tiller arm but the L shaped bracket the cable bolts to.

In post #16 of this thread you can see the bracket.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=8305&page=2

19_Skier
05-14-2012, 01:02 PM
I had been told by my dealer that greasing the cable will build up pressure inside the cable and actually make it stiff. Any truth to this? if so, is there any guide as to how much grease, if i open the end of te cable, etc? i do have a fitting on the rudder and will hit that as well.

Mine was really tight last year and I thought a new cable was in my future but with some new grease to the rudder and the two fittings on the cable it's as good as new again!

thatsmrmastercraft
05-14-2012, 01:08 PM
Steering cable replacement is eventually going to be required. Greasing annually will give you a longer life from your cable.

Table Rocker
05-14-2012, 01:13 PM
Greasing annually and keeping a dry bilge will extend the life of your steering cable.

dfield55
05-26-2012, 12:36 PM
I have a 2005 X2. Steering was great at low speeds and stiff at anything above. Had mechanic replace the cable with new Teleflex TFXtreme. Wow. What a difference. One finger steering at any speed. Well worth it in my opinion.

sheckski
06-16-2012, 02:25 PM
someone mentioned two fittings on the cable? i only see one. Have greased that fitting and the rudder. So far it remains really stiff. i assume this means replacement is on the only option? i hate that job......