PDA

View Full Version : Kids Combo Skis

brandon1515
05-14-2012, 08:51 AM
A friend of mine lent me their kids combo skis. The skis have the attachment point for the training bar that holds the tips together to helps stabilize them. However, they don't have the training bar.
Any body know where I can get a replacement or know of something I can use to make a replacement? Without the original piece I do not know how flexible/stiff it needs to be.

brandon1515
05-14-2012, 08:58 AM
Sorry, spoke too soon.
Found this: http://www.h2oproshop.com/ho-combo-waterskis-bar-accessory.html
The only problem is the shipping is more than the bar...

Any ideas on a hardware store or something I may have in the garage replacement?

mikeg205
05-14-2012, 09:00 AM
Ditch the bar...Never used one and I learned and taught many others to ski with out it...

Ski-me
05-14-2012, 10:19 AM
Maybe next time you are in your local ski shop, ask if they have a spare one laying around. Or, if you don't have a boom bar yet, a great excuse to get one. :D They help so much when training kids to ski.

d2jp
05-14-2012, 10:21 AM
Sorry, spoke too soon.
Found this: http://www.h2oproshop.com/ho-combo-waterskis-bar-accessory.html
The only problem is the shipping is more than the bar...

Any ideas on a hardware store or something I may have in the garage replacement?

A piece of pvc, irrigation pipe or grey plastic conduit cut to length would work, maybe cap the ends for safety. Make sure the bolts/screws are long enough.

And, as mentioned it's not really necessary - I remember taking it off as soon as they wanted to cross the wake.

TNH2oSkier
05-14-2012, 10:53 AM
You can also use a short piece of rope in place of the bar. Gives them a little more mobility than the bar, but keeps the ski's together.

brandon1515
05-14-2012, 02:33 PM
Maybe next time you are in your local ski shop, ask if they have a spare one laying around. Or, if you don't have a boom bar yet, a great excuse to get one. :D They help so much when training kids to ski.

Got a new boom this year :D

A piece of pvc, irrigation pipe or grey plastic conduit cut to length would work, maybe cap the ends for safety. Make sure the bolts/screws are long enough.

And, as mentioned it's not really necessary - I remember taking it off as soon as they wanted to cross the wake.

You can also use a short piece of rope in place of the bar. Gives them a little more mobility than the bar, but keeps the ski's together.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'd try going without the bar but as my 4 year old showed us this winter; the difference between snow skiing all day and sitting in the lodge all day was a little piece of elastic tubing tied between his ski tips.

d2jp
05-14-2012, 02:42 PM
Got a new boom this year :D

Thanks for the suggestions. I'd try going without the bar but as my 4 year old showed us this winter; the difference between snow skiing all day and sitting in the lodge all day was a little piece of elastic tubing tied between his ski tips.

I kept trying to think of something with the correct thickness/flexiblity that someone might have in their garage. While it's more flexible than the bar - a trucker's bungee cord, the flat rubber kind would work:) http://www.uscargocontrol.com/Flatbed-Trailer-Products/Rubber-Tarp-Straps/Rubber-Tarp-Strap-9-bundle-of-10-Natural-Rubber

brandon1515
05-14-2012, 05:01 PM
I did some "dumpster diving" ;) and came across a 12.5" x 6" x .5" thick sheet of silicone rubber. Once cut to the right size and drilled with the proper size holes, I'm guessing that should work.

Thanks again for everyone's suggestions.

d2jp
05-14-2012, 08:20 PM
Sounds perfect! And at the right price.

Latin Flyer
05-14-2012, 10:48 PM
To complicate, mine are 20 years old and tie with a piece of rope.