PDA

View Full Version : X2 Subwoofer and Amp location

tunedportcj5
08-18-2005, 11:42 PM
I want to add a sub and amp to my '03 X2 - I was hoping someone would have some pics of their installs or the factory setup. I want to get some ideas on my new install.

Thanks!

Diesel
08-19-2005, 09:36 AM
12 Sub in a 1.25ft3 encosure

http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/5741/dsc004712ei.jpg

Amps

http://img389.imageshack.us/img389/1958/dsc004636ue.jpg

Batteries

http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/1716/dsc004626mx.jpg

Cary K.
08-19-2005, 09:52 AM
I have a stock Clarion 10" mounted under drivers console, but we did make an enclosure for it behind the kick panel. It sounds 10x better than it did running free air, but will soon be replaced. The Clarion is just not very good.

Here is the custom sub box that I made to go under the passenger side seat. Fits perfectly in there without losing much storage at all. The "X" was digitally photographed and I tinkered with it in AutoCad then cut it out on my CNC at work. I am happy with the outcome.

http://www.endofropegang.com/phpnuke/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/10048/normal_Pict0526%7E0.jpg

Diesel
08-19-2005, 09:54 AM
Nice.......

Which seat?? And can you hear it under the seat??

Cary K.
08-19-2005, 10:06 AM
It goes under the regular observers seat back, (the big opening) It is hard to tell from the pics, but it is angled to fit in there perfectly. You can definitely hear it under there. Not sure that is the best location for only a single sub, but great for a second. It is a ported box with a 10" Memphis in it. I think I am going to replace both subs with JL's pretty soon. I have been riding so much lately that I haven't felt like fixing something that really isn't broke. Proabably a winter project, when I don't ride as much !!!

BriEOD
08-19-2005, 10:56 AM
That's pretty sweet Cary.

tunedportcj5
08-19-2005, 06:30 PM
Thanks for the replys! Definitley some nice setups... Are you guys glassing the boxes or just wrapping them with carpet?

Diesel
08-22-2005, 11:08 AM
I have them coated with Line-X before carpeting. Or just leave them bare Line-X. You can glass or resin but it is messy and IMHO not worth the time.

Cary K.
08-22-2005, 11:26 AM
You can glass or resin but it is messy and IMHO not worth the time.

I agree. Since I work in the woodworking/cabinet industry, I was able to use a product called WoodStalk. It is bacically a particleboard type product, but made from wheat stalks with a totally waterproof resin glue. You can store this product underwater, it is really cool. I build all of my stuff out of this. I recommend calling a local cab shop or a distributor and asking for it. It cuts with normal wood tools, and holds screws better than traditional materials.

Diesel
08-22-2005, 12:59 PM
I agree. Since I work in the woodworking/cabinet industry, I was able to use a product called WoodStalk. It is bacically a particleboard type product, but made from wheat stalks with a totally waterproof resin glue. You can store this product underwater, it is really cool. I build all of my stuff out of this. I recommend calling a local cab shop or a distributor and asking for it. It cuts with normal wood tools, and holds screws better than traditional materials.

Thanks for the tip. I did some google research and I am going to have to try this stuff if I can find it local. I have used the starboard but was not happy with the price or the workability.

How long have you been using it in your boat?? Does it hold up long term?? Does it expand and deteriorate when it gets wet like MDF??

Cary K.
08-22-2005, 01:10 PM
Does it hold up long term?? Does it expand and deteriorate when it gets wet like MDF??

This stuff doesn't deteriorate, expand or contract. It is a genius product. A lot of architects are specifying this product now because it is so good. We have been using it at work for years and have not had a single problem with it.

I have seen test pcs that have been soaked, frozen, heated, etc... without any change in flatness or thickness. I know I sound like a salesman, but when I see a good product, I tend to rant !