PDA

View Full Version : Looking for wire routing tips for faria depth guage install on 205v

Rossterman
05-13-2012, 07:40 PM
Bought a 2001 205v and just ordered the faria depth guage to fill the blank spot ont the dash. Anyone here that can give me the guidance on where/how to wire the guage and how to route the sensor ( it's puck style that glues in the prop shaft area and reads through the Fiberglass). Would like to mimic the way the factory did it with sensor routing and under dash connections.

Thanks!
Ross

russlars
05-13-2012, 11:54 PM
I couldn't find a suitable location for the depth sounder near the prop shaft so I glued mine in the bilge area near the center drain plug and it works great. For the wires, I just followed the same route as the steering cable using a wire puller to get the wires from the bilge area to the dash.

Rossterman
05-17-2012, 09:04 PM
Looking in the engine compartment, I can't even see the props Shaft and where it goes thought the hull because it's under the engine ( one of the disadvantages to a V drive). Anyone here care to Snap me a picture as to where it is located on their V drive? I don't want to screw it up and was hoping to find a location that works and is somewhat accessible

Thanks,
Ross

mwg
05-18-2012, 03:36 PM
Congrats on the new boat.. I boat an '01 205V last year and we really enjoy this boat. I installed a Faria Depth gauge a couple of months ago.. I mounted the transducer behind the gas tank on the flat potion of the hull (right next to the paddle wheel for the PP if you have one).. before you glue/silicone the transducer test the location by using a portion of a toilet wax ring..I know guys that have had transducers mounted this way for years. I routed the cable to the starboard side behind the panel under the rear seat (the rear panel comes off of the small compartment) then I fished the cable behind the panel near the driver's seat.

I'll snap a pic of how I mounted the transducer this weekend.

Rossterman
05-18-2012, 07:58 PM
Congrats on the new boat.. I boat an '01 205V last year and we really enjoy this boat. I installed a Faria Depth gauge a couple of months ago.. I mounted the transducer behind the gas tank on the flat potion of the hull (right next to the paddle wheel for the PP if you have one).. before you glue/silicone the transducer test the location by using a portion of a toilet wax ring..I know guys that have had transducers mounted this way for years. I routed the cable to the starboard side behind the panel under the rear seat (the rear panel comes off of the small compartment) then I fished the cable behind the panel near the driver's seat.

I'll snap a pic of how I mounted the transducer this weekend.

MWG
Thanks so much!
This is my first boat and ive been very impressed with the build quality and a layout as well. BTW- i see the dash come off with three pins on top and 2 screws under the steering wheel. Once off, how did you wire in the power? Some say there is a grounding block under the dash to place the negative and to tie the positive into the feed for the ignition switch on position. How did you wire yours?

mwg
05-18-2012, 10:01 PM
I used a test light to find a switched 12v source off the ignition switch.. And there is agrounding block under the dash that I used

It is a pretty straight forward install once you get started...

And post some pics of the boat, I would love to see it

Mike

swatguy
05-18-2012, 10:45 PM
It's also very easy to pull up the floor and route the cable the factory route next to the center ballast. Just pub up the floor by the access hole to the center plug and wiggle it out as close to level as possible. Grab to metal hangers and fishes the line through the access area you can reach it by lifting up the front bow seat or removing the driver kick panel. Mine is on the left side under the engine opposite the paddle wheel for perfect pass. Will try and snap some pics for ya tomorrow.

As far as a power source you can tap into any of the existing leads as the depth sounder doesn't really pull to much power to require its own power lead.