PDA

View Full Version : Slingbox

CruisinGA
05-13-2012, 07:15 PM
Anyone using one of these? Looking into it for our lake house, we have fast internet up there but have not gotten satellite yet.

We stream plenty of movies with the ipad hooked up to the TV, but that won't cut it come football season.

I looked at the Slingbox site, but they don't really offer any good information on how it works or how the base station is hooked up- hoping someone has some first-hand experience.

Cloaked
05-13-2012, 07:35 PM
Anyone using one of these? Looking into it for our lake house, we have fast internet up there but have not gotten satellite yet.

We stream plenty of movies with the ipad hooked up to the TV, but that won't cut it come football season.

I looked at the Slingbox site, but they don't really offer any good information on how it works or how the base station is hooked up- hoping someone has some first-hand experience.Old technology for getting what you want. I abandon the effort over a year ago and found newer approaches.

motorowlands
05-14-2012, 03:09 AM
CruisinGA, I've been using SB for about 5yrs with varied results. Buy the box, Solo or Pro HD are the two models they have now. Connect it to your cable box and modem/router, download the software and that's it, watch TV anywhere in the world you have an internet connection.
Problems:
-If no one is at the base location and the system goes down and needs a reboot, there is nothing you can do until someone physically goes there to reboot the system. I've had this problem a lot and when your 6800mi away, it's a PITA. I've found out, just recently, that the router is the biggest cause of the SB going down.
-You really need a dedicated cable box to connect the SB to. If you have it connected to a TV, say in your living room, and you go to the lake house and want to watch the football game and someone is back at the house where the SB is, they have to watch the football game too. I think the Pro HD may eliminate this problem.
-Picture quality is not the best at times, most times.

I have SB for:
AMA Supercross/MX Nationals
World Superbike
MotoGP
NFL
Basically; SpeedTV, CBS, FOX and ESPN.

If anyone knows how to watch this stuff live, for free, please let me know.

mzimme
05-14-2012, 09:03 AM
The problem with slingbox is that it relies on your home's (or wherever the base box is) internet upload speed. When you want to watch HD content, the 1mbps upload bandwidth that most home internet providers allow really isn't anything at all. To watch 720p HD content, you really need around 2.5+ Mbps consistent upload speed, and that's even at a bare minimum. It would be better to have 5+ Mbps upload bandwidth, which is pretty uncommon.

Can you not pick up any main network stations with an HD antenna? If you can get CBS, FOX, and NBC you'll be able to watch everything besides MNF on espn, and for that you could probably rely on the WatchESPN app available on pretty much every smart device.

Another option would be to just put a dish up at the lake and when you go to the lake, take your satellite box from your house and set it up at the lake.

jamica joe
05-14-2012, 09:10 AM
Old technology for getting what you want. I abandon the effort over a year ago and found newer approaches.

So what are the newer approaches???

Jeff d
05-14-2012, 09:35 AM
It's been a while since I've messed with Dish Network or Direct TV but I think you could buy a dish (just the dish itself) for relatively cheap off of eBay or CraigsList or wherever, do a DIY install of the dish at the Lake House. Then bring your receiver with you when you go and just plug it in.

Installing the dish is relatively easy with a couple of people and the antenna pointing app that's on the receiver.

This is assuming you don't need the service for others back at the house when you're at the lake.

thatsmrmastercraft
05-14-2012, 10:10 AM
Direct TV has some plan just for people with a lake place, but I don't remember the details. If you go with Direct TV, make sure you get a subscribers account number. If you provide the number when you sign up, both you and the subscriber save $100. I will always volunteer my account number.