PDA

View Full Version : swim deck gap need help!!!!!!

Oneday
05-12-2012, 11:50 PM
i just got off the lake and when i was wiping down the boat i noticed my swim deck is coming off. need to know how to fix and what i need. ( boat is a 1985 stars and stripes )
heres pics.78751

Wired_Right
05-12-2012, 11:56 PM
Is your deal bolted directly to the transom? That's what the picture looks like?

Wired_Right
05-13-2012, 12:03 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/45b5f35e-31e5-9f31.jpg

If you have the angle mounts to the transom, which you should. You may need to remove the gas tank and tighten the mounts I suggest using backing washers on the inside. The teak deck can then me realigned and screw back to those angle mounts with stainless screws.

Oneday
05-13-2012, 12:05 AM
i think it is thru bolt. i had the tank out last year. i think there is a plate on the inside.

Oneday
05-13-2012, 12:17 AM
heres one more of the bad side. and a few of the good side.78753

Wired_Right
05-13-2012, 12:42 AM
Oh ya. Your bolt broke or is pulling through the fiberglass. Need to pull the gas tank. Replace all the bolts now and definitely run backing plates or large washers. Backing plate is better use lock tight as well.

At lease it is an easy few hour fix and you need a friend to hold a wrench.

tph
05-13-2012, 02:03 AM
Oh ya. Your bolt broke or is pulling through the fiberglass. Need to pull the gas tank. Replace all the bolts now and definitely run backing plates or large washers. Backing plate is better use lock tight as well.

At lease it is an easy few hour fix and you need a friend to hold a wrench.

Before pulling the tank I would carefully disassemble the bracket assembly and see if you can deal with it from the outside. If it's like the removable bracket on my '89 (it looks like it) then the angled block is held to the transom with four machine threaded bolts that screw into threaded backing plates on the inside of the hull. And the platform bracket attaches to the angled blocks with two machine threaded bolts that screw into two threaded holes in the angled block. If the threaded backing plates are OK, you may be able to extract the top bolts from the angled block and replace them. It's worth a try.

Cloaked
05-13-2012, 08:34 AM
i think it is thru bolt. i had the tank out last year. i think there is a plate on the inside.
New person, you should search and read up on this age-old and repetitive issue with this era boat. Everything you need to know is already posted. It's too long to re-write. Easy fix, don't wig out ("THE SKY IS FALLING and so is my platform"), and follow the common sense approach. Your problem is somewhat common and easy to fix. No need for trial and error and the rest of the songs and dances. There is one right way to fix it (give or take). Glad you stopped in with your problem... :D I do like your platform.

Cloaked
05-13-2012, 08:37 AM
Oh ya. Your bolt broke or is pulling through the fiberglass. Need to pull the gas tank. Replace all the bolts now and definitely run backing plates or large washers. Backing plate is better use lock tight as well. Fuel cell does have to come out... yes. Also one has to cut into the floor to reach the holes.

Cloaked
05-13-2012, 08:41 AM
......... If it's like the removable bracket on my '89.............it's not....IIRC.... the 85 is a direct lag screw into the hull. I've had to do three of them over years.

markismm
05-13-2012, 10:03 AM
First of all those brackets do not look to be OEM. I would assume that someone has done some work on them before. In either event I have had to rework the ones on my 84 now. Plced backing plates on the top two bolts and put bigger lags on the bottom. Solid as a rock now.

tph
05-13-2012, 01:02 PM
First of all those brackets do not look to be OEM. I would assume that someone has done some work on them before. In either event I have had to rework the ones on my 84 now. Plced backing plates on the top two bolts and put bigger lags on the bottom. Solid as a rock now.

I think they are OEM removable platform brackets. Perhaps they were an option that year or someone added them at a later date. They look identical to the ones on my '89.

Oneday
05-14-2012, 07:38 PM
We're do I go from here!!!! I can't get to the bolts that hold the platform!!!!

mikeg205
05-14-2012, 08:13 PM
You may have to follow cloaked instructions...this may a bigger job than you think...probably a couple of weekends or a bunch of evenings...

Cloaked
05-14-2012, 09:48 PM
We're do I go from here!!!! I can't get to the bolts that hold the platform!!!!
Snap out of it and read what has been posted. >>> SLAP <<< dammit boy! :D

Stop the madness and do exactly what has to be done. Pull the tank, cut the floor, install thru-bolts and backing plates, button it up, and move on...

There are pictures on this forum of the entire process with detailed explanation. I can't spoon-feed you forever....

mikeg205
05-14-2012, 09:53 PM
Snap out of it and read what has been posted. >>> SLAP <<< dammit boy! :D

Stop the madness and do exactly what has to be done. Pull the tank, cut the floor, install thru-bolts and backing plates, button it up, and move on...

There are pictures on this forum of the entire process with detailed explanation. I can't spoon-feed you forever....

:uglyhamme:uglyhamme:uglyhamme:uglyhamme:uglyhamme

tph
05-14-2012, 10:19 PM
it's not....IIRC.... the 85 is a direct lag screw into the hull. I've had to do three of them over years.

The stock '85 brackets looked like the first picture and were lagged into the transom in four locations per bracket. However it appears that some '85's were delivered with the optional removeable bracket with hardware like the second picture. This hardware is identical to the setup on my '89. On the '89, the four recessed bolts holding the backing block to the transom are through bolted with threaded backing plates that are glassed into the inner hull. This allows you to remove the block from the transom without removing the fuel tank. I'm not sure if this is the case with the '85. (perhaps they used lag bolts)

Lumbergh
05-14-2012, 11:08 PM
I don't mean to dogpile, but sometimes it needs to be said:

http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr66/Lumbergh556/grab-a-beer-some-popcorn-demotivational-poster-1251488347gif.jpg