PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Texas Mastercraft

Whisky
05-11-2012, 11:06 PM
Have been looking for a decent, clean, and reasonably priced MC ProStar 205 dd or MariStar 225dd. Living in the Upper Midwest, the selection of boats is minimal at best. So, I have expanded the search to nationwide.

Looking for your thoughts/opinions on Texas Mastercraft. They have a couple of used boats currently for sale. Just wondering if this is a reputable dealership.

Thank you for your help.

Whisky

TheWoons
05-12-2012, 12:40 AM
Todd over there is great to work with and I wouldn't hesitate to buy a boat from them.

tex
05-12-2012, 10:08 AM
Jimmy and Todd are great to work with. They understand the biz in the right way and know how to treat people. I bought from them in 03 and they continue to treat me as though I buy a new boat every year. Jeff in service it top notch and will answer any question at any time!

slwayland
05-12-2012, 10:29 AM
Texas MasterCraft is the ONLY dealership I will buy a boat from in the whole country. I'm on my 5th boat from them since 2003. Took delivery of an x45 just last week from them and Jeff (heads up service) dropped everything to help me with a few details. They will take excellent care of you. Don't hesitate to buy from them!

ttu
05-12-2012, 11:00 AM
if it's this 93 205 i would be booking my airline ticket now!

http://www.texasmastercraft.com/vehicle/used-1993-mastercraft-pro-star-205-1001500.cfml#ar_top

mah2496
05-12-2012, 02:19 PM
Bought my 96 PS205 from them in 2008 and have nothing but good things to say about them.

mikeg205
05-12-2012, 02:29 PM
heck...jump in the tow vehicle and go get it before its gone... nice hours 9900... looks great.

Engine needs a little loving...wet test it..bring her home... :)

ttu
05-12-2012, 03:44 PM
heck...jump in the tow vehicle and go get it before its gone... nice hours 9900... looks great.

i am pretty sure they have a lake at the dealership to water test it.:D

cwarndahl
05-12-2012, 09:50 PM
Your lucky to have those guys, bi have boat town and texas ski ranch, both are not very helpful nor have I had any luck with there service departments. Sorry to thread jack but I'm jelouse of all you guys with these great dealerships

mesquitethrasher
05-12-2012, 10:51 PM
Texas MasterCraft is the ONLY dealership I will buy a boat from in the whole country. I'm on my 5th boat from them since 2003. Took delivery of an x45 just last week from them and Jeff (heads up service) dropped everything to help me with a few details. They will take excellent care of you. Don't hesitate to buy from them!

U get that green one?

smoran11
05-12-2012, 11:00 PM
if it's this 93 205 i would be booking my airline ticket now!

http://www.texasmastercraft.com/vehicle/used-1993-mastercraft-pro-star-205-1001500.cfml#ar_top

i have a buddy that drove 7 hours one way to look at this boat last Friday. He talked with them for two days before going down there. He explained how far he had to travel. the trailer has 4 bad tires. they offered to put two good tires on and he would have to buy the other two (not a big deal). they told him the gel was great. they lied. it is covered in scratches and badly faded. as you can see the interior is trashed (not a big deal for $9900). they said they would have the boat ready to go. go to water test it and it wouldn't run out. it would die if you gave it gas. trailer lights didn't work cause wires were dragging on the ground. saleman told my buddy he wasn't worth wasting his time on cause he was nit-picking the boat to death. buddy told him other than the interior he had been lying to him about everything else about the boat. they ended up in a big arguement over the deal. needless to say he drove home 7 hours with out a boat. i know that this is just one side of the story so im not trying to bash texas MC.

But that would be one sweet tug after A LOT of repair.

Whisky
05-13-2012, 07:59 AM
Thank you all for the valuable info.

Whisky
05-13-2012, 08:38 AM

This is one of my main concerns with the boat. The exterior looks good, but that engine appears rough. Would have expected the dealer to clean that LT-1 up a bit.

snork
05-13-2012, 09:37 AM
Just goes without reason, if the interior is trash and the motor looks like a POS then the hull and trailer has the same amount of abuse.
Sorry to hear that TXMC steered you in the wrong direction, I've have had positive experiences with them.
Good luck in your search

east tx skier
05-13-2012, 08:20 PM
I had a hard time getting any love from their parts department years when I needed about $1,000 worth of running gear in a bad way. After several attempts, I took my business elsewhere and I haven't bothered with them since that time. But most people who are more local to them seem to have had better luck than I did.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
05-13-2012, 09:40 PM
This is one of my main concerns with the boat. The exterior looks good, but that engine appears rough. Would have expected the dealer to clean that LT-1 up a bit.

Why would you think that a dealer would go through and refurbish a boat that is prolly on consignment, its 9900 for a reason. If they spent 5k on a refurb it would be a tough sell at 15k+. Either way you would not be happy with this vintage of boat. I would also go out on a limb and say that txmc prolly told the owner this but they had a deal for a certain dollar figure. Txmc doesn't attempt to hide issues, they are always good at taking pictures of the entire boat inside and out, at least thats my impression of the boats I have seen on their web and sitting on their lot. The 93 maristar 225 looks to be in better shape via the pictures for 9900 and for being 19 years old.

Panda Cub
05-13-2012, 09:52 PM
Love the reverse gel coat

kskonn
05-14-2012, 11:16 AM
Your lucky to have those guys, bi have boat town and texas ski ranch, both are not very helpful nor have I had any luck with there service departments. Sorry to thread jack but I'm jelouse of all you guys with these great dealerships

interesting, I have heard not so great things about boat town but I have heard nothing but good things about Texas Ski ranch. The Rave reviews they had on this board where the main reason I bought 2 boats from them. Who did you talk to in the service department? I have just never heard of anyone with a bad thing to say about their service department, Mastercraft actually sends their head of service to other dealerships when things cannot be diagnosed properly.

let me know.

CantRepeat
05-14-2012, 11:26 AM
i have a buddy that drove 7 hours one way to look at this boat last Friday. He talked with them for two days before going down there. He explained how far he had to travel. the trailer has 4 bad tires. they offered to put two good tires on and he would have to buy the other two (not a big deal). they told him the gel was great. they lied. it is covered in scratches and badly faded. as you can see the interior is trashed (not a big deal for $9900). they said they would have the boat ready to go. go to water test it and it wouldn't run out. it would die if you gave it gas. trailer lights didn't work cause wires were dragging on the ground. saleman told my buddy he wasn't worth wasting his time on cause he was nit-picking the boat to death. buddy told him other than the interior he had been lying to him about everything else about the boat. they ended up in a big arguement over the deal. needless to say he drove home 7 hours with out a boat. i know that this is just one side of the story so im not trying to bash texas MC.

But that would be one sweet tug after A LOT of repair.

Regardless, that boat is not worth 10k!

cwarndahl
05-18-2012, 10:55 PM
Kskonn I'm out of town I have there cards at home, I had my boat serviced at tsr and they did ok, left grease on the vinyl, when I call for parts they call my boat old tell me they will call me back and never do, wanted to replace my ballast pumps, both said they had no idea, boat town sent me to the moomba dealer, and called my boat old, I know the boat is ten years old but they both talk down to me about it. Just don't like the vibe at all, both dealers want full retail for parts if they will bother even looking them up for me, got new ballast pumps and bags from jason at wake makers who walked me through the install process and tought me about the quick connects, bought rudder seal kit, and some other stuff from ski dim who took the time to help me. It's to bad that boat town I pass 3 times a day and won't even look there direction any more, they forced me to find this board, and from here you guys directed me to other places to buy parts and gave me advice on how to do and have saved allot of time and money thanks to members here and good vendors here. Sorry that's so lengthy, but I can show you pics I have sent both service departments of stuff they don't reply to. So any way sorry for the thread jack and rant. Jelouse you guys with your helpful dealers

Whisky
05-18-2012, 11:04 PM
Doesn't sound like there is a good MC dealer in the Austin area. Looking at a few boats in that area and would like to hire a dealer to check the boat out for me since I live in Wisconsin. Any help on a different dealer or an independent/non-MC dealer would be appreciated.

Whisky

holdenh2o
05-18-2012, 11:22 PM
TSR has been extremely helpful and has worked with me on deadlines. Great guys. I have always paid retail, though, so I try to do most things myself.

Speaking of a parts dept. that never returns a call, I have called the beloved BAWS twice bc of references here re decals: I gave up bc I never heard from them.

cwarndahl
05-19-2012, 09:26 AM
Holden let me make sure I'm not selling them short, tar picked up my boat from lake travis, took to there shop 60 miles away and worked on it and brought it back for a reasonable price. How ever part of my work order was the shaft log and gimbal bearing, on top of a few other things, but they forgot to do those 2 things. It was on the work order and when I went back to the receipt they didn't charge me for it. Left grease on the boat, they tightend my tower an left the carpet hanging there. The drive shaft fell off and bent my prop and rudder seeing how I was going full speed at the time, and they did warranty the repair but not the damage the repair failure cost. Sorry I left all this out I didn't want to flame them.

RadarDad
05-19-2012, 10:00 AM
I am from Il. And I purchased my 2010 197TT from Texas MasterCraft. Jimmy and Todd took great care of me. I just want to warn you it is all long drive home!

RadarDad

03 35th Anniversary
05-19-2012, 10:36 AM
My boat came from Texas MasterCraft.

They have always taken great care of me, my boat and everyone I know that does business with them.

I have no complaints about them at all.

Jim@BAWS
05-19-2012, 02:39 PM
TSR has been extremely helpful and has worked with me on deadlines. Great guys. I have always paid retail, though, so I try to do most things myself.

Speaking of a parts dept. that never returns a call, I have called the beloved BAWS twice bc of references here re decals: I gave up bc I never heard from them.

Not going to start a he said she said arguement here. EVERY SINGLE call is returned here by me for decals...everyone. I am sorry I do not recall which one it was one. Currently I have 4-5 decal orders waiting to ship...My PM box gets em..,my email gets em...maybe you where not
avail at the time. I do not know how many decal orders I price out from X80 graphics to 209 graphics to old stars and stripes....there are a vast amount of folks on here who have purchased decals...my email is jim.baws@verizon.net or 813 996 2297.

I am sorry if you fell you have been shorted in someway...I return all calls. It maynot be in 15 minutes after you call...but they ALL GET RETURNED!!!

Jim@BAWS

SkiDog
05-19-2012, 03:17 PM
Not going to start a he said she said arguement here. EVERY SINGLE call is returned here by me for decals...everyone. I am sorry I do not recall which one it was one. Currently I have 4-5 decal orders waiting to ship...My PM box gets em..,my email gets em...maybe you where not
avail at the time. I do not know how many decal orders I price out from X80 graphics to 209 graphics to old stars and stripes....there are a vast amount of folks on here who have purchased decals...my email is jim.baws@verizon.net or 813 996 2297.

I am sorry if you fell you have been shorted in someway...I return all calls. It maynot be in 15 minutes after you call...but they ALL GET RETURNED!!!

Jim@BAWS

I'll vouch for that!

X-1Texas
05-20-2012, 10:09 AM
Here's my experience with Texas Mastercraft. We bought our '07 X1 in January '11 from a private seller. Stopped the TM on a Saturday in April and inquired about some parts cost, etc... Parts dept. was closed so I left my boat information, phone and e-mail and was told the parts dept. would call me. Never called me.

Fast forward to fall of '12, stopped by TM open house had a good conversation with Jimmy. Seemed like a really nice guy. We inquired about tower braces, because I had heard some people got them free. Jimmy said, "It's hit or miss" (Whether we get free ones or not). We gave him our VIN and they checked on it for us. They said Mastercraft won't give them to us free, but the dealer will give them to us at the employee price $350, down from $500. We also inquired about 4 pop-up cleats. (You can search the past threads I have one about this last December)

I thought it was strange he said it was "hit or miss". So we called BAWS, gave them our VIN and they got us a set of FREE tower braces. We also bought the 4 pop-up cleats from BAWS.

Long story short when we need parts we'll be ordering from BAWS or SkiDIM. SkiDIM was always very helpful when I had my older Supra. It seems like TM doesn't see us as customer that's going to buy a $120K boat so they didn't seem to worried about our business.

cwarndahl
05-20-2012, 11:50 AM
Nicely put x-1 that how I feel about boat town and tsr every one who has a good experience bought a new or newer boat from the or have has a new or beer boat serviced by them. Don't care much for an 01 x-10.

holdenh2o
05-20-2012, 12:51 PM

Jim@BAWS

Jim,

I appreciate your response. I don't feel shorted. Posted my experience. Contrary to what you say about returning all phone calls, it just not happen in this case - twice. Again, not bitter, just passing on my experience in a thread about experiences with service depts. I have owned a business; I understand reviews; I understand you can't please all all the time. Nothing more. Nothing less.

LaRue
05-20-2012, 01:20 PM
Jim,

I appreciate your response. I don't feel shorted. Posted my experience. Contrary to what you say about returning all phone calls, it just not happen in this case - twice. Again, not bitter, just passing on my experience in a thread about experiences with service depts. I have owned a business; I understand reviews; I understand you can't please all all the time. Nothing more. Nothing less.

IMHO, your comment about BAWS had no business being posted. The discussion was about another dealer, which I question is an appropriate conversation on such a forum. By dragging BAWS into it, you meant to publicly tarnish their name and reputation at some level. To 'force' Jim to defend himself and company was in error.

CantRepeat
05-20-2012, 01:38 PM
IMHO, your comment about BAWS had no business being posted. The discussion was about another dealer, which I question is an appropriate conversation on such a forum. By dragging BAWS into it, you meant to publicly tarnish their name and reputation at some level. To 'force' Jim to defend himself and company was in error.

Jim's reputation and BAWS are intact with the user base here, we know that. But I agree, a simple PM to Jim would have corrected it.

From my personal experience:

I had calls from both Jim and Chuck(who I believe retired) about decals and to top it off when my own personal measurements on a "Maristar 210" decal were wrong Jim sent me a new set at no charge even though it was my fault.

+1 BAWS

-V-
05-20-2012, 05:53 PM
Deja Vu......

Whisky
05-20-2012, 06:20 PM
A few months ago I asked the Forum for their thoughts on BAWS. Every response included glowing praise of Jim. Personally, I contacted Jim about a boat for sale. He spent a great deal of time answering my questions via email or phone. Jim was willing to help with shipping and would stand behind his boat. Jim is all that and then some.

Whisky

tex
05-20-2012, 07:45 PM
Baws and TXMC are both top notch!

03 35th Anniversary
05-20-2012, 07:52 PM
Baws and TXMC are both top notch!

I have never delt with Jim. But I can back TXMC up 100%.

Jim@BAWS
05-20-2012, 10:45 PM
Jim,

Email me your # please jim.baws@verizon.net and I will personally make sure you are taken care of!!! or 813 996 2297...I cannot do any better than that

Jim@BAWS

riptide
05-20-2012, 11:57 PM
Texas Mastercraft have been completely on the level and great to work with for me.

SkiDog
05-21-2012, 07:23 AM
We'll see if I get a phone call this week BEFORE I give Jimbo any more praise!:uglyhamme:uglyhamme:uglyhamme:uglyhamme

kskonn
05-21-2012, 11:18 AM
Nicely put x-1 that how I feel about boat town and tsr every one who has a good experience bought a new or newer boat from the or have has a new or beer boat serviced by them. Don't care much for an 01 x-10.

I bought an 03 from them and they were fantastic supporting that boat, their lot is full of customers getting work done on 98-12 and even older. I am just really surprised. I have just never heard a bad thing about them. I am sure your experience is exactly as you said, it is just really weird. Every time I have been up there they are going out of their way to find parts, get a mechanic out to someones house etc... I once blew a bearing on my trailer 45 miles from their shop. they came to the dock, told me to go wakeboard and they would take care of it. They could not fix at the dock so they had someone bring me another trailer to use. That is the type of service I have always had and heard other people talk about. Sorry for your experience, I would personally think about giving them another shot.

lanep82
05-23-2012, 08:37 AM
I purchased my 2008 X-15 on a consignment deal through TXMC. Dealt w/Brian Sassar. He treated me pretty well, just like all the guys there.

My boat has been in the service department 3 times over the past year, 2 times w/warranty work, once for an oil change/tune up. I can't say they were PERFECT but I think they took good care of me. Didn't whine about warranty work. Didn't rip me off. In fact, they gave me a free knob that holds the mirror onto the tower.

I would recommend TXMC and their service department.

Don't email the service dept. Call them. They aren't the best at emailing..........

cwarndahl
05-23-2012, 09:26 AM
the guy i have talked to in the service dept is josh. sorry it took so long i was out of town.

interesting, I have heard not so great things about boat town but I have heard nothing but good things about Texas Ski ranch. The Rave reviews they had on this board where the main reason I bought 2 boats from them. Who did you talk to in the service department? I have just never heard of anyone with a bad thing to say about their service department, Mastercraft actually sends their head of service to other dealerships when things cannot be diagnosed properly.

let me know.