PDA

View Full Version : Drain Plug...I never take it out.

g-Dog
05-11-2012, 06:34 PM
Is it weird that I never have to take out my transom drain plug in my 2002 205V?:confused: In the 4+ years of owning the boat the only time I ever taken it out is during the winterizing process. During the season there is never any water in the bilge. Always seemed a little strange to me.

cdstukey
05-11-2012, 07:15 PM
i only take the transom plug out to change fluids during winterization also. However, I remove the foward plug after every use to allow water out.

cdevro
05-12-2012, 02:48 AM
The DNR in Minnesota requires you to remove all drain plugs now. I need to now keep that little key in the boat. Usually I only remove the forward one also.

CantRepeat
05-12-2012, 08:06 AM
The DNR in Minnesota requires you to remove all drain plugs now. I need to now keep that little key in the boat. Usually I only remove the forward one also.

What's the purpose behind that? I figure to keep from transporting stuff from one lake to the next.

coz
05-12-2012, 10:04 AM
What's the purpose behind that? I figure to keep from transporting stuff from one lake to the next.

I don't see it on our local lakes but in Calif. and a couple Colorado river lakes have ramp inspections and if there's water or dampness in your bilge you wont get on the lake and they'll tag/quarantine your boat for a certain amount of days. It's about those zebra mussels.

CantRepeat
05-12-2012, 10:41 AM
I don't see it on our local lakes but in Calif. and a couple Colorado river lakes have ramp inspections and if there's water or dampness in your bilge you wont get on the lake and they'll tag/quarantine your boat for a certain amount of days. It's about those zebra mussels.

Looks like some bleach in the bilge will do the trick. :confused:

cdevro
05-12-2012, 10:23 PM
The Reason is zebra mussels according to the Minnesota DNR

h2oskifreak
05-12-2012, 11:21 PM
Zebra mussels are getting to be a big deal. My regular lake is private and I am the only one besides the lake owner, so not subject to inspection there, but when I go fishing or to Lake Powell the boat has to be inspected every time. It is a serious hassle because you have to go when they are open. I used to launch at Powell really late, now when I arrive late I sleep on the ramp and wait. Fishing, same thing can't get there too early anymore until the inspection station opens. I know it's for the greater good but very much on their time table. Besides mussles, mold is another reason to pull the plug each time.

imracin68j
05-13-2012, 02:43 PM
You can't even get into Nacimiento Lake if there is a drop of water in the hull.

tex
05-13-2012, 04:07 PM
ZM's are popping up here in Texas! Mostly fishermen transporting them!

CantRepeat
05-13-2012, 04:30 PM
ZM's are popping up here in Texas! Mostly fishermen transporting them!

I read the wiki on them. It's just crazy how invasive they are and the damage they can do to damns and hydro generators plants.