PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here replace their factory carpet?

Hogwild
05-11-2012, 03:59 PM
I'm thinking about taking this on in the fall/winter, but just wanted to see what others had done. Option 1: I do it all myself if it really doesn't require a lot of carpet laying know-how; Option 2: Have it done by someone else at the same time they are doing some required gel-coat work.

Better yet: Whenever it gets done, how hard is it to remove factory carpet and replace with snap-in? Do you think there is anyone out there that could make a snap-in template for a 99 maristar?

wrobins1
05-11-2012, 04:11 PM
Just did my all myself but I will not do it again I will pay someone else to install the carpet next time. Messed it up in a couple of spots and reaffirmed to myself that I do not have the patience &/or ability to do graphics, vinyl flooring, or glue in carpet! Removal and sanding in my boat was a breeze. Did find a great suggestion on the internet about removing old carpet if you have a spot that where the glue will not let go simply soak it in goo-gone and wait a few hours (or a day) and try again. Should lift right off. The goo-gone will dissolve the glue with little effort and is a cheap product you can buy just about anywhere.

Cloaked
05-11-2012, 09:05 PM
I'm thinking about taking this on in the fall/winter, but just wanted to see what others had done. Option 1: I do it all myself if it really doesn't require a lot of carpet laying know-how; I do carpet for myself. Not a hard thing to do. Remove the old carpet in as much of one piece as possible to reuse as a template. Sand the glue off the floor, lay in new sections with new glue, done deal. Takes a little time but it's rewarding to see nice new grey carpet in a boat after you have done it, left to dry overnight, and come back out the next day to admire your work.

Jeff d
05-11-2012, 11:44 PM
I think on a boat like a 99 maristar with wrap around seating integrated into the upper hull mold the carpet was installed before the upper and lower hulls were joined. So, unless you want to split your hull at the rub rail you're going to have to cut around the seat bases and try to make the seam invisible.

wheelerd
05-12-2012, 01:37 AM
I replaced the carpet in my 91 TriStar. Took out the two captains seats -- which needed to happen anyway, since some of the lag bolts were stripped -- and re-glassed the bolt holes. The original carpet came out fairly easily in large sections so I was able to use them as templates for the new pieces. The hardest parts to install were in the walkthrough and bow areas. Do it on a hot sunny day (with lots of cold beer:D) because it is easier to shape the carpet to the contours of the sides. Also, get the best marine carpet you can (ie. high oz. count). You won't regret it. Then install with outdoor carpet glue and a notched trowel.

TN X-45
05-12-2012, 09:27 AM
I had berber carpet on a previous boat (snap in) and would go back to that in a heartbeat. Has anyone replaced old carpet with berber in a ski boat?

Hogwild
05-13-2012, 09:56 PM
I think on a boat like a 99 maristar with wrap around seating integrated into the upper hull mold the carpet was installed before the upper and lower hulls were joined. So, unless you want to split your hull at the rub rail you're going to have to cut around the seat bases and try to make the seam invisible.

That's what I thought might be the most challenging part..around all the bases. I thought there may be away to lift unscrew and lift up the fiberglass bases for the seats and slide the carpet under it though. I haven't had a chance to go over all the logistics yet, but I sure would like to replace in the offseason.

Jeff d
05-13-2012, 11:49 PM
Here's how this dude did a Moomba with a similar style upper/lower hull design:
http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=787634

Looks like that may be what you'd have to do on our boats. Hopefully you'd be able to get a real close color match and could avoid having to also replace it inside the compartments.

gotta_ski
05-15-2012, 01:27 AM
Could you do that on a 190? I mean the way he jacked the top half up without splitting the rub rail. I'd be worried about cracking the dash, but if its possible it would make changing the carpet so much easier.

wheelerd
05-15-2012, 02:45 AM
I had to do that on my TriStar to get one of the walkthru sections out. Used a hydraulic floor jack and block of wood on either side. I raised the center section 1 - 1 1/2 inches. I sweat bullets but it worked!

georgea0731
05-15-2012, 10:50 PM
I'm thinking about doing the same. I really think a snap in carpet would be the way to go?
Anyone with snap in, do you like or not like? What would you do different? What's the current weigh for MC carpet? THANKS

Jorski
05-16-2012, 11:46 AM
Snap in only looks right if you finish the floor. Most Mastercrafts don't have gelcoated floors.

Hogwild
05-16-2012, 04:38 PM
Snap in only looks right if you finish the floor. Most Mastercrafts don't have gelcoated floors.

This was my thought exactly. I love the idea of having snap in carpet, but the way it would look for areas where you might see the floor would probably look awful.

Juiced190
05-20-2012, 11:21 AM
I'd like to replace the carpet in my 190. Can anyone recommend a thread that shows step by step procedure? Also advice on tools required, type of carpet to use, glue for installation, etc.
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.