PDA

View Full Version : Zf hurth trans

Neal5499
05-11-2012, 01:21 PM
I just picked up a 2000 xstar that has a trans leak amoung other issues have heard that there are a few seals that go bad. Local dealer says the trans needs to be pulled to replace these. Was wonder if anyone has ever replace these them selves

wrobins1
05-11-2012, 01:39 PM
I am in the process of doing that in a 2002 x star but I will warn you that my list of stuff to fix when I did it has multiplied by about a 1000! May want to see if the leak slows or stops after the seal has been used a little. I say this because we are fast approaching the time to be using the boat not necessarily working on it and this can be a HECK of a project. Just make sure you have fluid in the tranny at all times.

Neal5499
05-11-2012, 03:03 PM
Previous owner said it has been leaking for a few season and the bilge looks like it so i was thinking about just dropping in a new one as i dont know the condition of this one

wrobins1
05-11-2012, 04:21 PM
When I pulled my engine and tranny this past fall the list of stuff I wanted and needed to do to put the engine and tranny back in has grow constantly.... Is my only word of caution.

swatguy
05-12-2012, 02:26 AM
While I can't help ya with instal or anything, IF you get the trans part I would suggest replacing the damper plate if it shows any kind of wear just as a precaution. On the trans of those years they tend to be a bit weak and who signs of wear. Mine as well do it while its apart as the part is cheap