PDA

View Full Version : Boat Buddy Failure

mlawler34
05-11-2012, 11:35 AM
So I thought I would share this. I am sure those of you with Boat Buddy's opted for the 1/2" set up and you should not be concerned.

Anyways, was at the launch the other day and could not get my boat buddy to disengage for the life of me. I was really tugging on it to release and get my boat in the water. Finally after some serious effort, it released. Come to find out the pin is significantly bent and no longer lined up correctly with the hole on the other side. Not sure how this happened. It is a new to me 2004 Xstar and I do not power load. Looks like it is the 3/8 inch bolt, figured with 4400 lbs of Xstar someone would have been smart and installed the 1/2".

Thoughts? I have been thinking about getting rid of it anyway and doing a roller with safety chain. Otherwise I should at least upgrade to the 1/2" Boat Buddy.

Jeff d
05-11-2012, 11:36 AM
Get rid of it. It's not strong enough for use with that boat IMHO.

Red 08 Xstar
05-11-2012, 11:48 AM
I hate the Boat Buddy. I always have the same problem with disengaging it and the boat never lines up right to automatically engage it anyway unless the ramp is at the exact right slope. Mine's still on my trailer but I keep it locked open.

mlawler34
05-11-2012, 12:02 PM
Yea im thinking about getting rid of it and at the very least bending the pin back and installing a safety chain. Now i have to find chain with 5000lb tensile strength and a proper/strong way to attached to the trailer.

BrooksfamX2
05-11-2012, 12:16 PM
Took mine off and put a roller on.........

FrankSchwab
05-11-2012, 12:24 PM
I like my Boat Buddy, but I've learned to live with it's limitations.

It gets bent that way when you load the boat, but the pin doesn't completely engage. You pull the trailer out of the water, the boat slides backwards an inch or two and puts huge forces on the pin, bending the metal frame inside the BB. This also means that your boat isn't particularly well attached to the trailer. A 1/2 inch pin wouldn't make a damned bit of difference here.

Lesson learned? Don't rely on the BB. Use it as an excellent way to catch and latch the boat at the ramp, but attach the front strap and winch it tight before you pull the trailer out of the water. I make sure to relieve any force on the BB, making it easier to pull the pin the next time I dunk the boat. I leave the BB latched while trailering, simply as a belt-and-suspenders thing that doesn't take any thought.

/frank

swardco
05-11-2012, 12:38 PM
x2 on Frank's comments.

JohnE
05-11-2012, 12:48 PM
Same here, I do the same as Frank with regard to the BB.

mikeg205
05-11-2012, 12:51 PM
x3.......

zamboniman
05-11-2012, 01:35 PM
X4....

mlawler34
05-11-2012, 01:40 PM

It gets bent that way when you load the boat, but the pin doesn't completely engage. You pull the trailer out of the water, the boat slides backwards an inch or two and puts huge forces on the pin, bending the metal frame inside the BB. This also means that your boat isn't particularly well attached to the trailer. A 1/2 inch pin wouldn't make a damned bit of difference here.

Lesson learned? Don't rely on the BB. Use it as an excellent way to catch and latch the boat at the ramp, but attach the front strap and winch it tight before you pull the trailer out of the water. I make sure to relieve any force on the BB, making it easier to pull the pin the next time I dunk the boat. I leave the BB latched while trailering, simply as a belt-and-suspenders thing that doesn't take any thought.

/frank

That's the thing, the winch strap was properly attached and locked every time I have pulled it out of the water. All the weight should not and was not sitting on the pin. So who knows. Either way I don't trust the damn thing.

JulioX2
05-11-2012, 02:41 PM
Boat buddy sucks! Put a roller on. I had the same problem with the bent pin.

capnkirk52
05-11-2012, 03:02 PM
That's the thing, the winch strap was properly attached and locked every time I have pulled it out of the water. All the weight should not and was not sitting on the pin. So who knows. Either way I don't trust the damn thing.

The pin was probably in the closed/locked position one time when the previous owner pulled the boat on the trailer. It happened to me once. My pin was closed and the eye of my boat hit it and bent the pin.

east tx skier
05-11-2012, 03:04 PM
Took mine off and put a roller on.........

This was my solution as well. Those things leave black marks on the boat like crazy anyway.

duckguy
05-11-2012, 03:21 PM
Boat Buddy=Junk and headaches

ahhudgins
05-11-2012, 03:35 PM
X4....

X5.

Been using mine for years without a single problem. I am usually loading the boat by myself when everyone else is packing up. I bring the boat up on the trailer slowly and let the BB engage. I get out and attach the winch strap and pull it tight. Smooth as butter.

CantRepeat
05-11-2012, 03:51 PM
We could really use some Coz sized photos on this.

I too have the opinion that heavier boats do not like the boat buddy. I've added a boat buckle to the front of my boat because I think I'm gonna go with a roller here soon.

broncotw
05-11-2012, 04:18 PM
Ditch the Boat buddy! JUNK!

mlawler34
05-11-2012, 05:01 PM
Thanks guys. Going with roller and safety chain this weekend. I am in agreement it's just not meant for the star and the marks it leaves suck too!

acguy714
05-11-2012, 08:10 PM
Great reply. I could not have put it any better.

I could not have said it any better, great reply.

I agree 100 percent....

I could not have said it any better. I have a 91 maristar and never had a problem with the BB. Always use you winch and never drive on the highway with the bb pin engaged...

/frank

nitro5238
05-12-2012, 02:33 PM
Make that X5 for Frank....

mikeg205
05-12-2012, 03:15 PM
This was my solution as well. Those things leave black marks on the boat like crazy anyway.

oh good...I'm not the only one goin' crazy with the black marks...:D

ridesdirt
05-13-2012, 09:32 PM
X5....

ttu
05-14-2012, 04:50 PM
looking to switch mine over to a roller due to the black marks it leaves.

anyone know what size roller i would need for a 07 mc trailer?

thanks.

east tx skier
05-14-2012, 05:04 PM
oh good...I'm not the only one goin' crazy with the black marks...:D

I messed with it a lot on my old boat. With my new boat, that isn't even an option. Much prefer the crash pad. No bow roller. No boat buddy. No contact up there whatsoever other than a winch strap and safety chain.

AZX9
05-15-2012, 12:40 AM
If for no other reason than removing that long eyelet that catches on my front v bunk, I think mine is coming to its end as well.

JBrew
05-15-2012, 08:25 AM
x5....

russlars
05-15-2012, 10:28 AM
Just to balance this thread, I love the boat buddy on my DHM trailer. It makes loading and launching a breeze but I do use my winch strap to take pressure off of the pin when trailering.

petermegan
05-15-2012, 06:09 PM
Hell we haven't had BB over here in OZ and I have been showing it off at our loading ramp to all my mates. Makes loading easy just to drive on, here the click as the pin latches and my wife pulls up the ramp. Takes 10secs. I wouldn't mind upgrading to the heavier version that someone said you can get. (1/2"?)just for peace of mind. Love it :)

ttu
05-16-2012, 11:04 AM
does anyone have a picture of how the set up the roller's on the front.

Jeff d
05-16-2012, 12:39 PM
does anyone have a picture of how the set up the roller's on the front.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=60497&stc=1&d=1281296625

Dan_Lorenze
05-23-2012, 09:35 PM
The boat buddy is no buddy of mine.

damarx
05-29-2012, 01:34 PM
x5....
I have an 02 XStar with the same BB. I power load and use the BB to keep the boat in place while I attach the wench strap. The BB keeps my hands out of the way while my wife drives it up. I did have trouble with it sticking once after trailering the boat 600 miles.

Thinking about replacing my BB soon as the grey rubber is starting to break down and streak on the bow of the boat.

JDC
06-17-2012, 01:07 PM
I'm glad I had my Boat Buddy yesterday. On my winch, the catch for the small gear fell apart. It wasn't a big deal since I was ready to launch, but I quickly realized that I would not be able to have the strap locked tight when I was ready to pull out.

Pulling it out was uneventful since I just winched it up until the Boat Buddy latched and I pulled out. I did manage to take a piece of the catch and wedge it in the gears to hold the strap fairly tight for some comfort while towing it home.

I like my Boat Buddy and it works good. I have the larger version (1/2" pin), and I keep the main pin and the release mechanism sufficiently lubed with spray lube.