PDA

View Full Version : 2007 cover mods

willyt
05-11-2012, 09:30 AM
heyyyy everybody
So i'm uber happy with my 07 star i just picked up, but not uber happy with the cover. The holes in the cover by the rear tower legs are WAYYY to big for the legs, so it lets a bunch of water and leaves in.

Also, the cover leaks like a sieve. I have alot of spare scotch guard so i'm going to hit it with that. if that doesnt work... 303, if that doesnt work... well looks like i might order a cover for evolution or skiboatcovers.

Any advice for fixing that rear tower leg issue?

93Prostar190
05-11-2012, 09:36 AM
heyyyy everybody

Any advice for fixing that rear tower leg issue?

Willy ..... take it as a sign that you should just store the boat in my garage and let me use it whenever I need a wake board boat ..... ;)

There is a place here by Alum Creek called Country Covers .... they can probably stitch you up some panels that would attach to your current cover and make it more snug ... if you can create a pattern, great ... if not take the boat to them (call first) and they can build a template and make that asjustment to your cover for you.

bturner2
05-11-2012, 09:51 AM
If it's the black stock cover like the one I had I was never able to get it to keep the water out. I tried using 303 waterproof every year with only a month or two of somewhat good results. Finally gave up and did the skiboatcovers.com cover. Boat stays dry now. Go figure.

Todd X14
05-11-2012, 10:18 AM
Top quality custom covers at skiboatcovers.com. many material options too. I went with the waterline cover. Hands down the best cover I have ever owned.

willyt
05-11-2012, 10:34 AM
Willy ..... take it as a sign that you should just store the boat in my garage and let me use it whenever I need a wake board boat ..... ;)

There is a place here by Alum Creek called Country Covers .... they can probably stitch you up some panels that would attach to your current cover and make it more snug ... if you can create a pattern, great ... if not take the boat to them (call first) and they can build a template and make that asjustment to your cover for you.

rob - not finding anything with the name of country covers near lewis center... i found boat bonnets though...? any experience with them? got the number for country covers? would love to get something on there this weekend.

if you have a C ignition you wouldnt even need a spare set of keys! (i'm not sure the star would fit in your garage though... its an absolute monster)

willyt
05-11-2012, 10:49 AM
If it's the black stock cover like the one I had I was never able to get it to keep the water out. I tried using 303 waterproof every year with only a month or two of somewhat good results. Finally gave up and did the skiboatcovers.com cover. Boat stays dry now. Go figure.

yea, its the stock cover... i'm concerned that this scotch guard wont be enough and i'll have to pony up the cash for a good sunbrella cover with sunskirt sides.

i would loveeee inside storage but its just too convenient to have it sit at the boat club (scioto boat club, which is an awesome, awesome place if anyone is in columbus) only 50 yards away from the boat ramp.

MattsCraft
05-11-2012, 01:17 PM
Will - Use 303 Fabric, expensive but works well. You can have damns sewn on around your tower legs, mine has them, this helps but does not stop all the water. Check with Cincy MC, I had one side that was torn at the seam and they had it replaced by a local shop. From the pictures it looks like ski boat covers has a bit taller damns than the stock MC cover, but for the money, I would just have taller damns sewn onto your original cover, trust me if you use 303 after cleaning your cover it will repel water well.

zamboniman
05-11-2012, 01:40 PM
My stock cover hardly keeps dust out... I think it's completely transparent to water.

cdevro
05-12-2012, 12:45 AM
I have the same prblem with water getting into mine at the tower leg also. Im working on a solution using some rubber fabric and weather stripping. The problem is getting it secured together and finiding the right pattern. Work in progress for now.

Philscbx
05-26-2012, 01:42 AM
I have the factory cover as well, did the waterproofing last weekend, and during rain storm,
could see water constant stream out the drain.

What I didn't realize, these covers are very porous, and held overhead, you can easily see daylight through them.
That has to be almost impossible mission for water proofing to fix that 100%.
If it's a light drizzle, water runs off, but in high wind impacting rain storm, not a chance.

Guess it's time for a real cover.

BrooksfamX2
05-26-2012, 08:43 AM
Glad mine doesnt need to sit in the rain........... I've never had to leave a boat out except weekends at the lake and I dont go to the lake if its raining.