PDA

View Full Version : BIG Awww Crap Now What

swatguy
05-10-2012, 10:00 PM
So was on the lake and one of my hose clamps broke loose from the water pump. Wasn't that it wasn't tightened the actual clamp part sheared off.

So for my 3 passes across the lake the entire boat was filling with water in the hull area. Apparently forgot to switch the bilge pump switch back to auto after the winter season on the first trip so that didn't kick on. Only reason I knew is I opened the hatch while I was filling my bags and switching over to board. I then noticed all the water in the bilge area as the trans was spitting up water from the pulley. Look down and holy ##$% water is halfway up to filling the whole area with the trans pulley half in the water. Immediately kick on the bilge grab my extra Tsunami and start pumping.

My question is now what?
I know there is a seal on my V drive somewhere and did have a recall that was performed regarding the seal allowing water in. Not sure what damage could really be done. I plan on changing trans/v drive Fluid immediately as a precaution. Think I need to? Anything else I need to be concerned with? This was an eye opener for sure. There was a ton of water in there almost up to the carpet in the compartment by the bags. Boat temp was on the money and never overheated or had an alarm go.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
05-10-2012, 10:25 PM
Simply check the transmission fluid for water contamination, if present change fluid out a couple of times, might want to apply some dielectric grease to any electrical connectors that might have been swamped, and service the starter motor, then it should be fine...

Jeff d
05-10-2012, 10:33 PM
I've been tempted to wire up my bilge pump so that it's always "auto" and the switch only controls the manual operation. My dad's hydro sports is like that from the factory. I can't think of any reason I'd want to be able to turn off the "auto" functionality.

mikeg205
05-10-2012, 11:05 PM
+1 with j.m....keep a good eye for milkshake in the trans.... good news is you did not completely swamp...

sorry to read about your issue swat... :(

Keep us posted.

vandit0022
05-11-2012, 01:16 AM
I actually had this same thing happen to me and the intake hose actually fell behind that engine and I couldn't see where the the water was spraying in from, so I limped back to the docks and pulled her out. Course as soon as I stopped the engine the water intake stopped but I had to get back somehow. Pulled the plug and it drained for what seemed like forever.

I later had crazy transmission alarms go off etc, and when I checked the trans fluid, it was nasty milkshake. It clearly had gotten water into it. It was repaired but not before it was too late to cause issues later on.

I say change it, replace the seal if it's a recall issue, and enjoy your summer.

sand2snow22
05-11-2012, 01:35 AM
Keep an eye on your starter and alternator. If they got wet, they will probably be toast in 1-2 years.

Barefooter92
05-11-2012, 07:38 AM
Damn Swat, that's a lot of water. Hope everything is high and dry, be sure to oil her down with some sea foam this will displace what you dont see. So did we just add another item to the must carry list? 3" hose clamps???

What a bad way to start the season.

swatguy
05-11-2012, 09:15 AM
Thanks for the replies so far.

Footr,

Had the clamps in there there was just so much water easier to head to the dock area and get it up, out, and pull the plugs. I swear that it was at least 5 min of draining.

meg
05-11-2012, 09:50 AM
Did your temp not run high?

thatsmrmastercraft
05-11-2012, 10:09 AM
Did your temp not run high?

I suspect it did, there was just no hot water running past the coolant sensor for it to show up on the gauge.

O2BESOHUGE
05-11-2012, 10:17 AM
I Forgot My Plug Last Summer And Mine Filled Up Like That....i Cut The Bilge Pump On And Sat There For A Few Minutes And Let It Pump Out And It Was Fine. Just Keep An Eye On Things Like Everyone Said!

I Set My Bilge Pump On Antomatic After That Too

BriEOD
05-13-2012, 10:02 AM
This happens to all of us sooner or later. I'd change the fluids just as a precaution and put a light coat of oil on anything that got wet. Other than that, I don't think this is a huge deal. Additionally, this is why I frequently look in the engine compartment. I've had hoses go, transmission lines break, etc.