PDA

View Full Version : Alternative trailers for a Mastercraft?

Masterwake1987
05-10-2012, 01:38 PM
Hello:

Is it possible to use any other trailer besides a Mastercraft/skiboat trailer for my boat. I am thinking about buying an 89 prostar, but the trailer that comes with it is completely shot. One that would maybe be more standard like an EZ trailer that I could pick up locally and more inexpensive would be ideal if it would work. I am just nervous about the prop and drive shaft hitting the trailer frame when loading. Maybe if the trailer was a bit smaller so the rear of the boat hung off a bit??

Let me know your idead/experiences.

Thanks!

thatsmrmastercraft
05-10-2012, 01:41 PM
There are a number of other brands, but you need an inboard trailer.

Masterwake1987
05-10-2012, 01:47 PM
There are a number of other brands, but you need an inboard trailer.

Would and I/O trailer work? Is there anyway to use some of these common trailers that you see on Craigslist and slightly modify them?

thatsmrmastercraft
05-10-2012, 01:54 PM
If you look at the layout of the strut, rudder & prop which is under the boat vs. an I/O unit which extends beyond the boat, you can see there would be a lot of modifications needed. I suppose it is possible with a bunk trailer, but you would also need to relocate the axle forward to support the boat properly. Likely to end up spending more on converting. If you go the conversion route, find a nearby inboard trailer and try to follow it as closely as possible.

oxberger
05-10-2012, 01:59 PM
I was wondering the same thing about a different trailer. What about an older Nautique, Malibu, etc. (FYI Pete, having no luck finding a good welder or school to help me with mine, so I'm in the process of finding a replacement while still looking for welder machinest or someone else to help fix mine. Threadjack over)