PDA

View Full Version : Surge to electric brakes?

cpr05xtr
05-10-2012, 01:00 PM
Is it possible to convert to electric brakes easily? I just like them better.

mwg
05-10-2012, 02:04 PM
Electric brakes don't work real well under water.. you could convert the surge to electric over hydraulic using an actuator like this but it isn't cheap...

http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Brakes/Titan/T4813100.html

and you will need to weld the the tongue/actuator so that it doesn't collapse while braking

vandit0022
05-11-2012, 01:26 AM
I switched to electric over hydraulic......well worth the money for me. I talked about it in another thread. Also requires a trailer brake controller. My trailer stops on a dime, usually pulls my truck if I really hit em hard.

cpr05xtr
05-11-2012, 11:38 AM
Luckily i don't drive under water very often and if you follow the book that comes with your tailor you should nu-plug it before you back it in anyway. I think i may convert electro brakes FTW!

Jerseydave
05-11-2012, 03:58 PM
I know a lot of bigger trailers (like MYCO) use electric over hydraulic brakes. Mostly because they need braking power when backing down steep ramps to keep the tow vehicle out of the drink! Plus they stop better than any other setup. If money were no object I'd go that route.
With that said, my 30' Formula trailer (Loadrite) only had surge brakes which were ok but elec/hyd. would have been better. That rig was around 9K lbs.

ahhudgins
05-12-2012, 10:06 AM
Luckily i don't drive under water very often and if you follow the book that comes with your tailor you should nu-plug it before you back it in anyway. I think i may convert electro brakes FTW!

Unplugging the trailer is to prevent you from blowing bulbs if water gets into the old style lamps when the bulbs are hot. If you have led lamps it's not an issue.

There is a difference between all electric brakes and the "electric over hydraulic" like others have mentioned. My camping trailer had all electric brakes which uses electric solenoids at the wheels. I'm pretty sure that you don't want to put all electric brakes on a boat trailer.

mwg
05-23-2012, 10:29 AM

Good luck! Even though you may not drive under water and you un-plug your trailer wiring harness, you will still dunk at least one of your axles when launching your boat which will introduce water into the wiring of the electric brake systems...

You want Electric over Hydraulic

DRRICK
08-07-2012, 03:48 PM
I converted to electric brakes with solenoids at the wheels six years ago, on my tandem MC trailer. I have not had a single problem, and I do not unplug when backing............DC current appears to work prettey well when it gets wet at that amperage.
I did add a brake controller, pretty easy, and I did weld the tongue, pretty easy. The surge brakes NEVER worked as well as these electric ones do!