PDA

View Full Version : How do you waterproof a boat cover

Kyle
05-10-2012, 01:54 PM
I am going camping this weekend and there is like a 70% chance of rain over the night. I have a boat cover and want to put some kind of waterproof spray or whatever its called on my cover.

I have an origional cover and I have done nothing but pressure wash it once. I hardly ever use it because I have boat storage. Last year the only time I used it was over the winter to keep dust out of the boat.

I know that if I use this cover during a rain storm that water will run right through the material.

thatsmrmastercraft
05-10-2012, 02:03 PM
Kiwi camp dry works great. Smells like heck and needs several days to air out.

http://www.kiwicare.com/kiwimcmssite/us/products/outdoor/campdry-heavy-duty-water-repellent.html

Jeff d
05-10-2012, 02:05 PM
303 Fabric Guard is what Sunbrella recommends:
http://www.303products.com/shop303/index.cfm/category/66/303-high-tech-fabric-guard.cfm

-V-
05-10-2012, 02:23 PM
x2 on 303, I used it on a beat up cover and it worked fine.......before I got my new-to-me cover.

jamisonsbrodie
05-10-2012, 02:24 PM
I used Aqua-Tite on my 22 year old prostar cover. I sprayed it on with a 1 gallon pump sprayer and I had a waterproof cover for the first time in many years. I believe the 303 would be a good option too.

http://www.sailrite.com/Aqua-Tite-Repellent-Gallon

Kyle
05-10-2012, 02:25 PM
What is the process of the 303? I really like their upholstery cleaner.

What is the dry time. How would one put the spray on the cover.

Cover the boat and spray it on and let it dry? Are we talking a few hours or more like over night?

Kyle
05-10-2012, 02:28 PM
I used Aqua-Tite on my 22 year old prostar cover. I sprayed it on with a 1 gallon pump sprayer and I had a waterproof cover for the first time in many years. I believe the 303 would be a good option too.

http://www.sailrite.com/Aqua-Tite-Repellent-Gallon

WOW that stuff must be glue. I am not spending $75 on this cover for 2 nights. The cover is not in tip top shape and it gets used less than 5 times a year.

Kyle
05-10-2012, 02:32 PM
or would it be better to lay the cover on the ground and spray it and let it dry. How many coats.

Instructions say do not soak it but to just mist it on.

sp00ky
05-10-2012, 02:43 PM
or would it be better to lay the cover on the ground and spray it and let it dry. How many coats.

Instructions say do not soak it but to just mist it on.

I think the key is to make sure its clean first check out this link

http://www.canvas-boat-cover-and-repair-advisor.com/boat-cover-repair.html

jamisonsbrodie
05-10-2012, 02:44 PM
WOW that stuff must be glue. I am not spending $75 on this cover for 2 nights. The cover is not in tip top shape and it gets used less than 5 times a year.

Per gallon, 303 is more expensive than Aqua-tite, but you can get 303 in quart size. I layed my cover on the garage floor and sprayed it. I let it dry overnight.

TruckeeEP
05-10-2012, 02:46 PM
I have the original Mcraft cover that came with my 2000 Maristar and if properly "tented" it makes it through rain just fine. Might get a little wet where it pools at the edges, but nothing more than a day on the lake. Anyway, just giving you an out if you're feeling lazy.

thatsmrmastercraft
05-10-2012, 02:48 PM
Camp Dry is $7 a can. Might need two cans. Just sayin'

vrsc
05-10-2012, 03:03 PM
Clean with 303 cleaner, let dry and use 303 protector on boat cover while it's on a clean concrete flooring (driveway)

east tx skier
05-10-2012, 03:23 PM
On a clean cover, lay it out away from all things you love, dump the 303 Fabric Guard (green bottle) into a deck sprayer and go to town on the cover. Let it dry thoroughly before putting the cover on the boat.

willyt
05-10-2012, 03:39 PM
What's everyone think of scotch guard for your cover?

Kyle
05-10-2012, 03:47 PM
On a clean cover, lay it out away from all things you love, dump the 303 Fabric Guard (green bottle) into a deck sprayer and go to town on the cover. Let it dry thoroughly before putting the cover on the boat.

Can you believe that I do NOT own a deck sprayer. I can see how much easier it will be to pump up a deck sprayer than it would be to squeeze a hand held bottle trigger 8,745,382 times.

Good Idea

Thanks

TN X-45
05-10-2012, 03:53 PM
I used a version of Camp Dry from "Dick's Sporting Goods" that is made for boat covers - about 7 bucks a can. Took 1 1/2 cans for the 45.

J NORRIS
05-10-2012, 03:56 PM
Only thing I have ever done to my original cover was that I washed it at the laundry mat once.
I forgot to tent the cover one night and we had a heavy rain. And it holds water like swimming pool. I have never sprayed it with any type of water repellant. Even with this much water on the cover, it only dripped a small puddle on the carpet. I was impressed. This was last year and the cover is from 2001.

pmkkdx
05-10-2012, 04:10 PM

that's what I was thinking ... or Star Brite Waterproofing spray (~$12 @ Academy) ... dry time a few hours depending on air humidity.

east tx skier
05-10-2012, 04:40 PM
Can you believe that I do NOT own a deck sprayer. I can see how much easier it will be to pump up a deck sprayer than it would be to squeeze a hand held bottle trigger 8,745,382 times.

Good Idea

Thanks

I would throw it away after you use it. Mine wasn't good for much after it had that 303 FG in it.

east tx skier
05-10-2012, 04:48 PM
Sorry. Duplicate Post.

jamisonsbrodie
05-10-2012, 04:52 PM

isn't scotch guard for stains and not waterproofing?

thatsmrmastercraft
05-10-2012, 05:05 PM
isn't scotch guard for stains and not waterproofing?

A guy from MN and not thoroughly familiar with 3M products?:rolleyes: There are a number of products that all carry the Scotchguard brand. Camp Dry is essentially the same thing and available everywhere. Cheapest way to get the job done.

jamisonsbrodie
05-10-2012, 05:06 PM
A guy from MN and not thoroughly familiar with 3M products?:rolleyes: There are a number of products that all carry the Scotchguard brand. Camp Dry is essentially the same thing and available everywhere. Cheapest way to get the job done.

I am pretty sure Scotch guard is a poor waterproofer for canvas, compared to the silicone based ones, Aqua-tite and 303 fabric guard. I could be wrong, but that is my experience.

thatsmrmastercraft
05-10-2012, 05:20 PM
I am pretty sure Scotch guard is a poor waterproofer for canvas, compared to the silicone based ones, Aqua-tite and 303 fabric guard. I could be wrong, but that is my experience.

I agree. I think Scothguard is more aimed at fabrics. The Camp Dry does say it works on boat covers, and since Kyle said he only needs the cover occasionally, the cheap simple route was the answer.

jamisonsbrodie
05-10-2012, 05:23 PM
I agree. I think Scothguard is more aimed at fabrics. The Camp Dry does say it works on boat covers, and since Kyle said he only needs the cover occasionally, the cheap simple route was the answer.

Good point.

Todd X14
05-10-2012, 08:53 PM
Clean the cover and let dry completely.Lay out the cover and Lightly spray the cover with a good waterproof spray that is specifically designed for canvas /sunbrella covers. I too use the 303 product with good success. take the time to follow these steps and it will last 3+ years minimum.

Todd X14
05-10-2012, 08:54 PM
oh, and the idea of misting lightly is to apply more than one coat....

-V-
05-10-2012, 08:59 PM
I made a ploe that goes from my ski pylon to my winshield which acts like a tent type deal, a piece of wood, a router, small piece of carpet and BAM........no more need for straps and a pole.

Philscbx
05-21-2012, 05:44 PM
I see it's an older thread, but I like to keep a topic of importance up to date vs start from scratch.

With the 04 209 custom black canvas with wench strap built in, it has wind issues where regardless how tightly applied it still comes loose sliding up at the sides near the windshield.
Needs extra grab points at edge of tension strap to keep it pulled down at trailer grab loops.

It just applied this water proofing treatment sitting out front of the shop before the recent storms that rolled through the last couple days.

WaterProofing-
I used the gallon jug of Aqua-Tite @ $65 a gal. Still have 1/2 of it left.
With wallpaper pump up sprayers 48OZ capacity which worked perfect.
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8013/7244291556_0bfff1b415_n.jpg

Let it cure over night - tested it the next afternoon with garden hose in rain mode straight up & fall, water ran off very nice.
The next day, storms rolled through, I could see water running out of center drain at pretty good rate.

So I'm not that impressed with results.
I'm thinking going with custom Street Rod cover with soft side under layer that won't scratch & breathes.

Plus do what MC Fanatic has done with more moral support to make water run off as much as possible.
I did go out during storm and bucket out the depression of water weighing it down.

I would not doubt this and other products are made by 3M.