PDA

View Full Version : Grinding noise when putting into reverse

swc5150
05-10-2012, 01:29 PM
My '91 190, 1:1, is making a grinding noise when I apply throttle in reverse. It's fine if I just engage reverse however. My prop seems nice and tight, so I don't think it's unseating, so I'm wondering if it could be an alignment issue? I'm going to swap my tranny fluid too, just in case. Supposedly it was changed last fall before I bought it, but I don't know for sure. Any ideas out there?? Thanks!

Kyle
05-10-2012, 03:08 PM
The clutch plates could be worn.

Change fluid and check allignment.

east tx skier
05-10-2012, 03:21 PM
Didn't think about this when we spoke earlier, but what about your strut bearing? Can't remember if you told me you checked it.

swc5150
05-10-2012, 03:39 PM
the strut bearing seems pretty solid? I compared it to the movement (or lack of) on the 200, and it seems the same? I'm going to swap out the tranny fluid as soon as I get home, and see if that helps. I have the prop nut snug tight, and I'm assuming tight enough? Do you normally torque it, or take a breaker bar to it? I just cranked it down tight with my 1/2" driver.

I don't think it's a clutch plate, as we had one blow in an '88 190, and that sound was much more metallic, and fairly easy to identify where it was coming from. My sound almost sounds muffled by water in a way, which lead me to believe something in the underwater gear. My old prop was dinged, so I was hoping the new one would fix the problem.

One more thing, if I give it some throttle in reverse for a few seconds, the sound stops - again thinking perhaps the prop nut isn't as tight as it should be afterall?