PDA

View Full Version : HELP - Terrible Customer Service

Bill X-55
05-10-2012, 10:17 AM
I recently received my new X-55 and it is a mess. It was missing the cover, bow filler cushion, ski platform and cockpit table. I have no idea how this boat got through your QC process. There was a dime size chip in the transom gel coat, the ski locker door was cracked, the trailer paint has many blemishes and the speakers didn’t work. These issues have been known for several weeks. My dealer can get “NO” answers on when I will receive the missing components and has been very slow to react to open issues.

I left a voicemail for Parker Stair. I do hope he calls me back. If anyone has any recomendations on how to resolve these issues please let me know.

sp00ky
05-10-2012, 10:24 AM
Holy cow I'm shocked who is the dealer!

bturner2
05-10-2012, 10:51 AM
Why in the world would you take delivery of that boat in that condition? Would you do that for a new car? I bet all those issues would have been done within a couple days had you not signed the check.

Most poeple will tell you these issues need to be resolved by the dealer. You can however try to contact MasterCraft directly but I've heard that isn't so easy. Another option would be to try another dealer.

ttu
05-10-2012, 10:59 AM
wow, first sorry to hear that. second hmm, this is your first post ever on team talk and it's about what a horrible customer service is.

it's usually best to work with your dealer to get everything resolved before posting something like this on a forum.

best of luck with getting everything taken care of.

mzimme
05-10-2012, 11:01 AM
wow, first sorry to hear that. second hmm, this is your first post ever on team talk and it's about what a horrible customer service is.

it's usually best to work with your dealer to get everything resolved before posting something like this on a forum.

best of luck with getting everything taken care of.

Sounds like he's tried working with the dealer, as he noted they've been incredibly slow to deal with things and can't seem to give him answers.

Either way - hopefully your experience turns around and things get sorted out!

pmkkdx
05-10-2012, 11:03 AM
hmmm!!! :popcorn:

SkiDog
05-10-2012, 11:10 AM
I recently received my new X-55 and it is a mess. It was missing the cover, bow filler cushion, ski platform and cockpit table. I have no idea how this boat got through your QC process. There was a dime size chip in the transom gel coat, the ski locker door was cracked, the trailer paint has many blemishes and the speakers didn’t work. These issues have been known for several weeks. My dealer can get “NO” answers on when I will receive the missing components and has been very slow to react to open issues.

I left a voicemail for Parker Stair. I do hope he calls me back. If anyone has any recomendations on how to resolve these issues please let me know.

Where in the Southeast are you located?

FourFourty
05-10-2012, 11:24 AM
My dealer can get “NO” answers on when I will receive the missing components and has been very slow to react to open issues.

Sorry, but this is all that I needed to hear...... Your dealer "can" get answers to this stuff. They are not trying!!

Also, all of the stuff that your boat is missing, are items that are packaged seperately, until the boat gets to your dealer..... At that point, the dealer is to install all of that.

No offense Bill, because what you are saying could be very true..... But this is your first post, and I have a VERY hard time believing that any dealer would deliver an X55 without the Platform on it..... Much less, any of the other stuff you mentioned. Normally when you see a post like this....It is a troll posting....

MIskier
05-10-2012, 11:28 AM
Sorry, but this is all that I needed to hear...... Your dealer "can" get answers to this stuff. They are not trying!!

Also, all of the stuff that your boat is missing, are items that are packaged seperately, until the boat gets to your dealer..... At that point, the dealer is to install all of that.

No offense Bill, because what you are saying could be very true..... But this is your first post, and I have a VERY hard time believing that any dealer would deliver an X55 without the Platform on it..... Much less, any of the other stuff you mentioned. Normally when you see a post like this....It is a troll posting....

Thank you for saying that! I had the same gut reaction as well. NO dealer even if the components were not delivered from the factory, or with those defects would release it. Dealers also have a QC checklist that they go over before delivery of a new boat.

JimN
05-10-2012, 11:31 AM
Thank you for saying that! I had the same gut reaction as well. NO dealer even if the components were not delivered from the factory, or with those defects would release it. Dealers also have a QC checklist that they go over before delivery of a new boat.

Being the Devil's advocate, in theory, yes. In practice, not always- especially when a dealer is short-handed and extremely busy. However, that scenario is a recipe for disaster for a manufacturer and its dealerships.

JimN
05-10-2012, 11:40 AM

If you actually took delivery from a Mastercraft dealer, it seems that you may not have read everything because the terms of sale usually include something about the condition of the item. If you signed off for this, you may be in trouble because the chips, etc might be considered to have happened after delivery and not subject to warranty.

Also, if you bought this from an actual MC dealer, you need to know that MC doesn't avoid calls in situations like this. If the dealer is new to MC, they may have had some staff turnover, as in, the people who went to the dealer meetings may not be there and the rest are just making it up as they go along.

Regardless of why this is happening, if everything is as you posted, you need to speak directly with the owner of the dealership first. Yelling and screaming will not get the results you're looking for.

BTW- dumping on MC or a dealer in this forum is a violation of the terms here, so don't be surprised if this thread ends up being removed. You need to handle this through the normal channels, not through your first post in a public forum.

CantRepeat
05-10-2012, 11:56 AM

Sorry about your troubles.

The issue is no one here works for Mastercraft. I think you've taken the best steps to solve your troubles. From what I know Parker is a stand up guy. Hopefully you get some good results.

Good luck.

swatguy
05-10-2012, 12:19 PM
I don't know the exact situation here but I can.assure you and everyone.on this board that boats arrive like.this regularly not in this bad of shape, but with parts and components missing. If I had a dollar for everytime we had to.rob a showroom boat for parts for a customers boat to meet their deadline I would be rich. It's common, but usually hidden from customers the best they can.. QC ain't what it used be that's for sure

MIskier
05-10-2012, 12:50 PM
I don't know the exact situation here but I can.assure you and everyone.on this board that boats arrive like.this regularly not in this bad of shape, but with parts and components missing. If I had a dollar for everytime we had to.rob a showroom boat for parts for a customers boat to meet their deadline I would be rich. It's common, but usually hidden from customers the best they can.. QC ain't what it used be that's for sure

Because of those problems MC put into place new QC procedures as well as a new head of QC within the last year.

duckguy
05-10-2012, 12:55 PM
Fake!

501s
05-10-2012, 01:01 PM
I sure hope this is a troll/fake. If you can afford an X-55 you can probably afford a lawyer to write you a letter (If you're not a lawyer already LOL). No swim platform? Seems hard to believe a dealer would send out a boat with no platform or cover, but in this day and age it could happen.

skps190
05-10-2012, 01:07 PM
Why in the world would you take delivery of a boat that is missing all of those items? I work for a GM dealership that has won multiple "dealer of the year" awards and there is absolutely no way we would deliver a car/truck/suv that is less than 100% perfect. I would say MC is not to blame. We just went to look at our X-30 that came in and our dealer had yet to install a couple of items (platform, tower accessories, heater, trim tab), even if we had wanted I doubt there was any way they would have let us take delivery of our boat w/o those things having been installed. Something isn't adding up.

Heelgrad
05-10-2012, 01:13 PM
We just went to look at our X-30 that came in and our dealer had yet to install a couple of items (platform, tower accessories, heater, trim tab), even if we had wanted I doubt there was any way they would have let us take delivery of our boat w/o those things having been installed. Something isn't adding up.

wonder why your trim tabs and heater weren't installed at the factory? mine both were and i was under the impression that if you ordered them with the original build they came to the dealer already installed. not a big deal, was just wondering.

east tx skier
05-10-2012, 01:16 PM
Sorry about your troubles.

The issue is no one here works for Mastercraft. I think you've taken the best steps to solve your troubles. From what I know Parker is a stand up guy. Hopefully you get some good results.

Good luck.

Yeah, I was thinking, my QC process?

skps190
05-10-2012, 01:19 PM
Heelgrad- ours was already being built when we bought it, they made it sound like it would be easier just to dealer install those items than to change the order.

Bill X-55
05-10-2012, 01:32 PM
Thanks for the comments, this is far from a troll posting. The dealer actually had my boat for two weeks before I could get to the lake and check it out as I was out of the country. I refused to take delivery until I could get an update. All they can tell me is everything is on order, no ETA no nothing. I was in my dealers office when they were literally yelling at their MC rep. I just overnighted complaint letters to the top 3 execs at MC and left a vmail for Parker Stair and Scott Crutchfield. Nothing yet. The boat is an incredible piece of equipment but I fear they just want to sell boats and not provide a customer experience worthy of an $130,000 boat.

kskonn
05-10-2012, 01:39 PM
Something does not add up with the dealer in this scenario- I have seen a number of boats come in and get assembled etc... If they are missing anything I have seen the head of service call mastercraft explain what is missing and get an immediate response and shipment. Just seems to be something going on that you are not being told.

good luck getting this resolved.

501s
05-10-2012, 02:05 PM
I feel really bad for this guy if that's the case. What a lot of garbage to go through when spending that kind of dough. I hope it works out for you Bill.

Huskie05
05-10-2012, 02:08 PM
ok, I'll bite. We ordered out 55 last year. Nothing was missing on it but when it arrived it was banged up bad, to the point that 14 fiberglass points needed to be repaired. It was not the shipping that did it, boat was wrapped and not one issue on the outside of the boat, all inside and around places that shipping would have never touched. It left the factory that way.
Utah Water Sports and the excellent team of people they have jumped right on it, boat was sent to top notch fiberglass repair and done in a week. UWS put major pressure on MC, got done ASAP.
I still scratch my head on how MC let a boat leave like that. :confused: I mean these boats are on par with a Porsche or other high end cars, and Porsche would never allow something like that to happen. Waiting to get the power tower converted to hydraulic now, other than that we are good to go. UWS is incredible, great people who work hard to make everything right.
Would I buy another MC, damn straight. But only through UWS. You can have a good product, but when you have excellent customer service, it makes the product great.

ddanenberger
05-10-2012, 02:21 PM
Ok my 2 cents before this is taken down...

seems the majority of the members here have oder boats when the quaility was better. I have had a '11 and now a '12. I have found the newer boats leaving the facory have many QC issues. Our '12 had to be sent out a rebuffed since the majority of the gelcoat had not been touched at the factory. The '11 had have the engine cover regel coated due to pinholes throughout. It seems they are pushing boats and having the dealers do the fit and finsh work. If it is any consulation we are waiting on parts for 2 months now.

Don't get me wrong, I think quality has slid on many makes, but I do expect more from MC. It is a shame they don't building them like they use too. It does not surprise me of the issues identified.

I will state the factory did make good on the problems, but everything was completed on the dealer level and sent out to 3rd parties to complete. It was just a pain waiting on the repairs.

-V-
05-10-2012, 02:22 PM
things that make you say "hmm"

Huskie05
05-10-2012, 02:34 PM
I have had a lot of people that own other like boats to ours crawl around our 55, everyone of them was way impressed on the build quaility, so I think the quailty is still there. MC just needs to finsh the the run before celebrating the TD. Our 55 is solid, very happy with her. Hard to get another boat when you love yours and have her broke in the way you like her. I have to stop looking at all the gadgets they are putting on the new boats, mine is perfect and we love her. MasterCraft is the leader, all others scrabble to keep up.

ddanenberger
05-10-2012, 03:09 PM
I have had a lot of people that own other like boats to ours crawl around our 55, everyone of them was way impressed on the build quaility, so I think the quailty is still there. MC just needs to finsh the the run before celebrating the TD. Our 55 is solid, very happy with her. Hard to get another boat when you love yours and have her broke in the way you like her. I have to stop looking at all the gadgets they are putting on the new boats, mine is perfect and we love her. MasterCraft is the leader, all others scrabble to keep up.

I don't disagree. It seems they are push the delivery then relying the the dealer network to finsih them. The boat is solid. Our issues have been with fit and finish. For instace a broken hinge or stripped screws in the windshield, gel coat needing final buffing, bad stiching on a seat. Nothing to ruin your day, but should have never left the factory in the shape it did. Another day and I would not be put out for months.

501s
05-10-2012, 03:16 PM
You guys are making me worried about my X-30 Im waiting on. One of the reasons I went to MC was to avoid Quality contol issues (Dealer of course talked a lot about the superiority of build quality and fit and finish). Guess I will know in a week or so.

Ski-me
05-10-2012, 03:18 PM
You guys are making me worried about my X-30 Im waiting on. One of the reasons I went to MC was to avoid Quality contol issues (Dealer of course talked a lot about the superiority of build quality and fit and finish). Guess I will know in a week or so.

Don't worry....your boat is sweet and that counts for a lot! :D

Huskie05
05-10-2012, 03:19 PM

I would not worry at all, far and few between, seen enough MC's delivered to know they are solid and delivered right 99% of the time. You are embarking on a great time, you will love the x-30. Every boat has to be broken in right, for every owner. A lot more character with a boat then a car. Takes time to get every boat dialed in.

ddanenberger
05-10-2012, 03:24 PM

I would not worry at all. The factory has alway taken care of all issues.

Huskie05
05-10-2012, 03:31 PM
I would not worry at all. The factory has alway taken care of all issues.

Yep, fixed quickly. Like I said, I would spend another $100,000 for another one, when the time comes, hopefully in 10 years when the boats are $200,000 :cool:

bobx1
05-10-2012, 03:57 PM
Thanks for the comments, this is far from a troll posting. The dealer actually had my boat for two weeks before I could get to the lake and check it out as I was out of the country. I refused to take delivery until I could get an update. All they can tell me is everything is on order, no ETA no nothing. I was in my dealers office when they were literally yelling at their MC rep. I just overnighted complaint letters to the top 3 execs at MC and left a vmail for Parker Stair and Scott Crutchfield. Nothing yet. The boat is an incredible piece of equipment but I fear they just want to sell boats and not provide a customer experience worthy of an $130,000 boat.

Sorry for this happeing Bill and hopefully it will be resolved very soon. I do have a couple of questions because:

A - your first post indcates you took delivery of the boat. I think you posted "I recently received my new X-55 and it was a mess".

B - the post above said you "refused to take delivery until I could get an update".

Did you actually take the boat or did you go see it and ask to take it for a test drive before the dealer was ready to give it to you? It is possible to have missing items and the speakers not working when it shows up on the dealers lot.

As far as the gel coat chips, cracked ski locker, and trailer paint issues then I would agree that is on the MC Quality Control team.

pmkkdx
05-10-2012, 04:24 PM
(QC person was probably requested to go take pictures of someones build in progress and the final QC got overlooked ... :rolleyes: ... totally tongue in cheek!! ;) ) ... I would not be a very happy camper to spend that kind of coin to not have it done 100% properly!!!

Mastercraftdave
05-10-2012, 08:07 PM
I had the same problem with a chip in my gelcoat. When we took deliverly of our New X45 we bought the boat out of state and it was brand new, there was a chip in the rear of the boat under the exhaust port. We filled it in for the time being, but the dealer said that they would pay for it once we took it into a fiberglass shop. Its a new boat we shouldnt have to do that!

Also, the weekend that took dilerevy we had a problem with the engine overheating and come to find out the impeller was shredded to peices after 4 hours of use. Idk if anyone has changed and impellor on the Illmor ingines, but it it a pain in the a$$. You have to pull the belt off the engine, remove one pulley, and then remove and engine bracket. Then we had to find someone that carried the same impellor for an 6.2 saltwater series. We were able to cross referenced one at west marine and after a three hour drive to find and impellor we finially got the boat working.

I thought it was just our boat but when you pay that much for a boat you should be having those problems plain and simple. Sorry to hear about your boat just know your not alone out there. Mastercraft needs to figure something because for that price we shouldnt have any problems.

mikeg205
05-10-2012, 08:34 PM
#1 - Don't take delivery unless you are 100% satisfied -
#2 - The should not leave the dealer until its 100% satisfactory -
#3 - If you can afford a new x30 or X55 why would you take it off the lot if it's not what you expected.
#4 - Boaters should always have an emergency tool kit which includes an impellor - even if the boat is brand new - I even carry a spare belt - but my boat is a '95
#5 - New motor vendor first full year - expect issues.
#6 - Not surprised there are gel coat defects inside the boat with all the new electronics and toys inside the boat - lots of stuff moving around..

I know I would be excited getting a new MC...and now the season is starting...

On the flip side - Pat Stair did host a video on the quality parts and QC process.

In the end.. refer to #1

Heelgrad
05-11-2012, 12:00 AM
Bill, I truly hope that all of this gets straightened out for you. For the money you have spent, you deserve to get only the best in return. I can't figure out how your boat made it past the lake test as most of these issues should've come up at that point. It's a shame that you're having to deal with such a bummer situation but I hope that your dealer and/or MC step up to the plate big time to make you 110% satisfied. For $115,000+ you deserve nothing less.

AZX9
05-11-2012, 12:29 AM
#6 - Not surprised there are gel coat defects inside the boat with all the new electronics and toys inside the boat - lots of stuff moving around

huh!!

AZX9
05-11-2012, 12:50 AM
Sorry for this happeing Bill and hopefully it will be resolved very soon. I do have a couple of questions because:

A - your first post indcates you took delivery of the boat. I think you posted "I recently received my new X-55 and it was a mess".

B - the post above said you "refused to take delivery until I could get an update".

If you took delivery it's hard to believe you would have signed or handed over money without some serious commitments in writing.

If you didn't take delivery you most likely have a deposit to get nasty about.

Either way I am glad I am not in your shoes.

Brian B
05-11-2012, 02:42 AM
Perhaps manufacturers should start focusing more on fit, finish, and presentation, as opposed to fancy gizmos and electronics?

I love Mastercrafts and would likely never own another brand wake boat. With that said, I'm fairly content with my low hour 10 year old MC. If there werent $40,000 worth of electronics, and complicated stuff I dont need in the new models, I'd likely own a brand new Mastercraft today!

Good luck with your purchase. I hope everything works out for you!

Ironhorse
05-11-2012, 09:41 AM
My first attempt to take delivery of my X14 had a few gel coat marks, the engine compartment shocks were not connected and my spare tire was missing. I like most on here just walked away and told them to let me know when these issues were corrected and I would return. Often your sales person is not aware and assumes the shop has taken care of everything. Saying this, things can get missed during the busy season when everyone wants delivery in the same month. Look things over, dont overeact and dont accept delivery until everything is corrected.....simple really.

CantRepeat
05-11-2012, 10:07 AM
huh!!

x2 :confused::confused:

mikeg205
05-11-2012, 10:24 AM
huh!!

Sorry, should be a bit more clear... installers moving around placing equipment and not being careful..when they should be.

Bringing in dashes, seats, tournament ski pole, tower installation...etc.... trying to speed up production to increase shipments and cash flow.

Hope that clears up my other comment.. sorry

JohnE
05-11-2012, 01:22 PM
Your dealer needs to take care of all these issues. And sooner than later.

cbryan70
05-11-2012, 01:48 PM
South East.....is it baws?

Bill X-55
05-11-2012, 01:56 PM
I finally received a very nice call from Mastercraft today and they are expediting all the missing stuff from their vendors. They had a computer glitch that impacted my order along with several others. Hopefully I will have everything in the next two weeks.

thatsmrmastercraft
05-11-2012, 01:58 PM
I finally received a very nice call from Mastercraft today and they are expediting all the missing stuff from their vendors. They had a computer glitch that impacted my order along with several others. Hopefully I will have everything in the next two weeks.

Nice to hear things are going in the right direction.

CantRepeat
05-11-2012, 02:31 PM

I'd have to go with my gut and say not a chance it's Jim. ;)

swatguy
05-11-2012, 03:30 PM
Those darn computers always seem to break n miss stuff...

Glad to hear its moving along. Good luck and throw up some pics of the finished product pronto.

SkiDog
05-11-2012, 05:48 PM
I'd have to go with my gut and say not a chance it's Jim. ;)

I'm with you. He wouldn't let that happen.

Jim@BAWS
05-11-2012, 05:54 PM

Please...why even bring up Bay Area...not my customer...it would have never left here
un prepared!

I'm with you. He wouldn't let that happen.

I also know that is not the dealer in South Florida or Orlando

It seems the the S.E. covers a pretty large expance of the U.S.

Before you start dropping names and or intials please refrain from pre judging!!!

Jim@BAWS

sp00ky
05-11-2012, 09:57 PM

As usual people try to blame IT. Never ceases to amaze me how IT is a constant scapegoat for people not doing their jobs.

sp00ky
05-11-2012, 09:59 PM
Please...why even bring up Bay Area...not my customer...it would have never left here
un prepared!

I also know that is not the dealer in South Florida or Orlando

It seems the the S.E. covers a pretty large expance of the U.S.

Before you start dropping names and or intials please refrain from pre judging!!!

Jim@BAWS

My guess is Georgia right? Dealers have been historically sloppy starting with JOA.

trickskier
05-12-2012, 08:48 AM

Please post some pics!