PDA

View Full Version : Helmets

brojoe
05-09-2012, 09:45 PM
Not sure if this issue has been discussed, but whats the consensus with wearing a helmet. Last year I took a few spills and my head was aching. I don't want to blow an eardrum out either. Any thoughts?

tr6coug
05-09-2012, 09:51 PM
Always. You'll appreciate next time you catch a back edge.

Jerseydave
05-09-2012, 09:56 PM
I wear my Gath helmet for riding. Very light weight and doesn't catch water like some of the larger size helmets.

tex
05-10-2012, 12:06 AM
I wear one win I jump(almost always). I don't when I wakeboard. I stopped wearing one last year when riding my sky ski(just started riding better without it) until I hit a rock shelf and stopped and bashed my sky ski and head on the shelf...Now I'm back to wearing it on my foil! All it takes is one hit!

DemolitionMan
05-10-2012, 12:19 AM
I bought my wife and I helmets last year for the cable park.

brojoe
05-10-2012, 10:37 AM
Thanks for the input. I will definitely be getting a helmet this year.

bjames
06-05-2012, 12:53 PM
I just picked one up this year. I also got the ear protectors that snap on to the helmet. I was getting tired of having water rammed into my ear and not draining for days.

Thumbs up on the Helmet :)

Lumbergh
06-05-2012, 01:17 PM
http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr66/Lumbergh556/helmets-cat-01.jpg

501s
06-21-2012, 01:02 PM
I have my share of bad falls and had a really bad one on a Raley a couple years back where I went unconcious and tookin a lot of water. Been wearing a helmet ever since and have never looked back.

I can personally say that helmets DO HELP. I have never been a helmet guy in any sport but now I always use one. The helmets are very small and light weight. Don't let someone talk you out of a helmet until you have tried one for yourself.

Nick911
07-04-2012, 11:07 PM
I blew out an eardrum last year and the year before on Mara Lake got knocked out for a few seconds, so needless to say I wear one most of the time unless I am just riding casual and not trying to go big.

kgrove
07-04-2012, 11:29 PM
I've heard on this board and met several people personally who don't wear helmets and believe in "the bucket effect", which basically holds that while a helmet may protect you from concussions, it may act like a bucket during a crash and subject the rider to serious neck injuries or even paralysis. I have to admit it sounded feasible, so I started asking around. So far I'm up to seven "professionals" - four orthopedic surgeons, two ER doctors, and a paramedic. I'm 7-0 with unanimous votes for wearing a helmet. In fairness only two of the seven either wakeboard or ski and none have done or heard of any specific research on helmets in watersports - all were basing their opinions only on their own experiences treating head and neck injuries.

I try to require a helmet for everyone behind my boat. My only exceptions are when I don't have a helmet that fits well and when I forget, which is far more often than I care to admit.... possibly because I've gone without a helmet too many times.

I'm sorry I forgot... what was the question?

brojoe
07-17-2012, 12:04 AM
I bought a helmet last week, and must say, I won't wakeboard again with out one. It gave me more confidence, and when I did wipe out, there was no head pain. I wasn't worried about blowing an ear drum, or suffering another mild concussion. I strongly recomend a helmet.

Thanks to all who replied

501s
07-17-2012, 12:55 PM
Here is something to think about.......

When you catch your back edge and hit the back of you head to the water, you head is moving much much faster then say your waist or your back. if you are wearing a life jacket that also increases resistance so when you hit the water your body slows down very fast. Not wearing a helmet means your head hits the water with much more speed and less reistance so while the body slows donw, the head keeps going, hench the whiplash effect we have all felt. Wearing a helmet slows you head down also, doing 2 things reducing the chance of a concussion and also reducing the chance of whiplash.

IMO the "bucket effect" is what saves you. Slowing down your head and neck is the reason to wear one. I have had many crashed with and without a helmet and spent time in the hospital after a near drowning and I firmly stand behind my stance that helmets work and help!

nauti-dreamer
07-17-2012, 02:44 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see helmets become the norm in the near future. I see it as a natural progression for safety sake and to extend your enjoyment of the sport (and your life!!).

I can clearly remember (no pun intended) the days of no helmets on the ski slopes through the '90s. Thanks to the growth of snowboarding and it's insistance on using helmets, it's now a rarety to see anyone on the slopes without a helmet. Especially on the kids and thankfully now skiiers too.

I don't wear one now but have thought about it for years that it might be a good investment. I wear a helmet for snowboarding and biking. Why not for slalom or wakeboard or barefooting???

I think I've made the decision on my next equipment purchase.

Thanks for the push!!

thatsmrmastercraft
07-17-2012, 03:06 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see helmets become the norm in the near future. I see it as a natural progression for safety sake and to extend your enjoyment of the sport (and your life!!).

I can clearly remember (no pun intended) the days of no helmets on the ski slopes through the '90s. Thanks to the growth of snowboarding and it's insistance on using helmets, it's now a rarety to see anyone on the slopes without a helmet. Especially on the kids and thankfully now skiiers too.

I don't wear one now but have thought about it for years that it might be a good investment. I wear a helmet for snowboarding and biking. Why not for slalom or wakeboard or barefooting???

Thanks for the push!!

Speeds are too high to wear a helmet for barefooting or slalom. Catch one edge and off with your head. :rolleyes:

Perhaps there is a market for a new design helmet for slalom & footing???

nauti-dreamer
07-17-2012, 03:48 PM
What about the jumpers? ALL of them where the helmets and their speeds can match that of slalom. right??

But if there IS a lapse in the market, then yes I could see the opportunity.

kgrove
07-17-2012, 04:35 PM
Speeds are too high to wear a helmet for barefooting or slalom. Catch one edge and off with your head. :rolleyes:

I'd urge you to ask around - maybe if you know some sports medicine or orthopedic surgeons - and confirm your logic. I would think more speed makes it more likely they would recommend a helmet, not less. The faster you go, the harder your head hits and the higher the risk of brain injury. I understand the fear of the helmet snapping your neck at higher speed, but the doctors I asked were far more concerned about conccussions than neck injury.

mzimme
07-17-2012, 04:43 PM

Thanks for the push!!

I've been skiing for the last 25 years, and finally bought a helmet last season. I mainly bought it for the built in speaker capability, but it's nice when I'm ripping down the hill at mach 3 to know that if I hit my head in an crash, I won't be nearly as hurt as without it.

That said... I haven't decided if I'll wear it again this year. I like the non-bulkiness of just my hat. We'll see...

When I ride my motorcycle, however, it's a whole different ball game.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-17-2012, 05:57 PM
I'd urge you to ask around - maybe if you know some sports medicine or orthopedic surgeons - and confirm your logic. I would think more speed makes it more likely they would recommend a helmet, not less. The faster you go, the harder your head hits and the higher the risk of brain injury. I understand the fear of the helmet snapping your neck at higher speed, but the doctors I asked were far more concerned about conccussions than neck injury.

Certainly more speed would make for a greater need for a helmet, however the potential for creating more harm than protection is too great. If it weren't, you would see slalom and footing folks with helmets.

And I'm definitely pro-helmet where applicable. My son, and anyone else who boards behind my boat wears a helmet. My nephew always wears a helmet when jumping. And I wouldn't even consider not wearing a helmet on my sled.

mikeg205
07-17-2012, 06:01 PM
Helmet for sure even even while slalom....ear protection and prevents injuries from hitting the ski...

my .02

deminimis
07-24-2012, 01:23 PM
Great thread and it got me thinking. I'm not buying the "bucket effect" argument, at least when it's used as a reason not to wear a helmet. We wore helmets 20+ years ago windsurfing here in the Gorge (not for fear of hitting our heads on the water, but fear of all the Kooks that couldn't hold onto their booms and would allow their masts to hit us). We easily hit salmon ski speeds and I crashed a ton....a ton. Not once did my helmet cause any undue pull on my neck/noggin via the "bucket effect". I actually bought a helmet for wakeboarding this Winter (I actually used it snowboarding, which worked great too). Glad to see that helmets have become common place on the slopes (wife and kids wear them on the slopes as well). Just makes sense. Why don't I require my kids to wear helmets when they are wakeboarding? You know, there's no good reason not to. I've got to make a run to Windance and get them some helmets now...something I should have done long ago.

PS: If there are any typos in my post, I blame it on not wearing helmets back-in-the-day.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-3f7c7yRb9Y4/TyL4K1MGmCI/AAAAAAAABYc/2fcj0VwXwgo/s802/Wade.png

kgrove
07-24-2012, 02:50 PM
I remember as a kid hearing arguments that seatbelts could cause internal injuries or trap you inside a burning car, so therefore weren't really making you more safe.

I find the bucket effect argument the same... While possibly true (I can see how a helmet could catch the water as well as add mass to your head, either of which that could worsen a neck injury), it completely ignores probability. I've talked to many many people who have been concussed wakeboarding including some who may have drowned had friends not jumped in to flip them over, but have never talked to anyone who has suffered a neck injury. I'm sure neck injuries must occur, but I haven't heard of one.

Possibility and probabilty aren't the same thing. I either will or won't win the lottery, but that doesn't mean it's a 50-50 shot. Helmets do reduce brain injuries (which are common), but even if they do increase neck injuries (which are rare), that doesn't mean it's an even trade.

Ski-me
07-24-2012, 04:13 PM
I'll chime in since this thread is moving. This technically needs to be in the Prayer Request thread but I think the subject is relevent.

Just last Thursday (July 19th) my niece was trying her run at the whole wakeboarding thing. She is 13 years old and pretty much a daughter of mine. I got a call up in Idaho, that she was attempting to jump the wake and flip but didn't make it and crashed. Keep in mind, she's only wakeboarded a handful of times. Well, what led to blood on the head, led to a trip into town to the local Emergency Care facility.

Once they observed that the skull was damaged, they told her to go directly to the hospital emergency room for an evaluation. The result: a very decent size skull fracture on the right side of her head. It also just happened to be the day the the local Neurologist (Spokane and Coeur d'alene) was at the hospital and available to check her out. The took her into operate for, what was going to be an hour long surgery.....into about 3-1/2 hours. The rebult her skull bone pieces and put in about 4 small metal plates. Definitely some swelling and she was in the ICU for several days on recovery.

I flew up on Friday evening, and spend some time with her and her mom on Saturday. After looking at the original x-ray, it's pretty incredible seeing how far the bones actually went into the brain area. If I had to guess, I'd say at least 1/2" or so. Just amazing.

The just released her into general hospital quarters and with any luck, she may be released tomorrow.

At this point, lots of swelling but it has started to go down. The motor skills, speech, memory, are all there and she is a VERY strong and determined girl! If you think about it, please pray for her and a full recovery! Thank you.

Before all this happened, I actually didn't even know there were helmets for wakeboarding. I've always skiied and never saw anyone wear one. After all of this has happened and the huge potential for brain injuries, I'm going to get one......

LYNRDSKYNRD
07-24-2012, 05:00 PM
Thoughts and prayers brother. I am assuming her board hit her. My son was hit by his board in the head when he first started riding, he's a tough kid and when he came in the boat crying we had a helmet on the boat next outing. Always worn one since.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-24-2012, 05:07 PM
Hard to believe what can happen in a relatively harmless sport. Here's to a speedy and full recovery.

scott023
07-24-2012, 05:12 PM
Our thoughts are with your niece Ski-me. Please let us know how her recovery goes.

Ski-me
07-24-2012, 06:03 PM
Guys, thank you so much! She is a very determined, very athletic and very strong girl! She wasn't eating much until the doctor said she can't leave until she eats. She promptly started ordering food....she wants out! Great kid for sure.

She is one of 4 kids from my brother that passed away. "ski-me" is in reference to him.....

I truly believe prayer has helped tremendously so keep them coming!

kgrove
07-25-2012, 08:09 PM
Guys, thank you so much! She is a very determined, very athletic and very strong girl! She wasn't eating much until the doctor said she can't leave until she eats. She promptly started ordering food....she wants out! Great kid for sure.

She is one of 4 kids from my brother that passed away. "ski-me" is in reference to him.....

I truly believe prayer has helped tremendously so keep them coming!

I'm glad you posted that story and I hope she's doing much better. Maybe as people hear these kind of stories, they'll start taking helmets more seriously.

WTRSK1R
07-25-2012, 11:03 PM
I have blown my left ear drum 5 times. The first two were at the wake crossing when slalom skiing. The last 3 were barefooting. I can say that the rupture had gotten to where it did not take as much of a fall for the last one. Anyway, I had tried wearing a neoprene headband to protect my ear since my ENT told me not to wear earplugs. During long line deep water starts barefooting, I had trouble keeping the headband from washing off. So after the 5 th rupture I bought a helmet with ear coverage. On the very first attempt barefooting, my left foot washed out and I went down sideways. The helmet caught near my left ear and nearly ripped my head off. My right arm would not move when I came up. In 30+ years of skiing I have never had to have a spotter jump in the water and pull me into the boat. That day I did. By the time the boat was back to the launch I could lift my arm, but not make a fist. The fist came back in a day or so. It was nearly 3 months before all the feeling was consistent in my right hand. I shipped the helmet back the day of the event and have not regretted it once. I now wear a neoprene hat with a draw string that I pull tight and have not had any more ear issues. They are probably fine at wakeboard speeds, but I would be cautious at slalom speeds.

Good luck.

Steve

kgrove
07-26-2012, 12:01 AM
I have blown my left ear drum 5 times. The first two were at the wake crossing when slalom skiing. The last 3 were barefooting. I can say that the rupture had gotten to where it did not take as much of a fall for the last one. Anyway, I had tried wearing a neoprene headband to protect my ear since my ENT told me not to wear earplugs. During long line deep water starts barefooting, I had trouble keeping the headband from washing off. So after the 5 th rupture I bought a helmet with ear coverage. On the very first attempt barefooting, my left foot washed out and I went down sideways. The helmet caught near my left ear and nearly ripped my head off. My right arm would not move when I came up. In 30+ years of skiing I have never had to have a spotter jump in the water and pull me into the boat. That day I did. By the time the boat was back to the launch I could lift my arm, but not make a fist. The fist came back in a day or so. It was nearly 3 months before all the feeling was consistent in my right hand. I shipped the helmet back the day of the event and have not regretted it once. I now wear a neoprene hat with a draw string that I pull tight and have not had any more ear issues. They are probably fine at wakeboard speeds, but I would be cautious at slalom speeds.

Good luck.

Steve

Very interesting to hear. Yours is honestly the first story I've heard of a helmet possibly making an injury worse or maybe causing the injury.

As I said earlier, I really wish some of the manufacturers would band together and do some real research on this subject and let us know the results. Right now we all (me included) are basing our opinions on anecdotes and not science.

scott023
07-26-2012, 09:45 AM

Good luck.

Steve

Brutal to hear. A truly fluke accident.

mlawler34
08-16-2012, 11:53 AM
I have decided to revive this thread. Seems like the consensus is that wearing a helmet is a good idea.

With that being said, what kind of helmets are people wearing? Brand? I have a Bern that I love for snowboarding, and they make a wake edition, but at $70 not sure its worth it over some of the deals I have seen online at $40.

Anyone have any experience with the Shred Readys? Looking for any input. If you have used multiple brands let me know.

Brother and I are sicking of destroying the back of our heads wake to wake haha.

mikeg205
08-16-2012, 12:14 PM
Got a brand new pro-tec carbon fibre finish watersports helment on ebay for $40 delivered...

This one is nice looking.... http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=fndoz35&model_id=inspiron-15-intel-n5050&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&

LYNRDSKYNRD
I know some guys that use Shred Ready and like them. Both of my kids wear a pro-tec helmets and we have no complaints about them they have held up well. That said if you are familiar with Bern it may be worth the extra cash.

wrobins1
I have been shopping and thinking the same way as it appears you are mlawler34 but I think I am leaning towards something with removable ear covers. So as to at least attempt to prevent ear injuries.

thatsmrmastercraft
08-16-2012, 12:15 PM
I have decided to revive this thread. Seems like the consensus is that wearing a helmet is a good idea.

With that being said, what kind of helmets are people wearing? Brand? I have a Bern that I love for snowboarding, and they make a wake edition, but at $70 not sure its worth it over some of the deals I have seen online at $40.

Anyone have any experience with the Shred Readys? Looking for any input. If you have used multiple brands let me know.

Brother and I are sicking of destroying the back of our heads wake to wake haha.

Check Midwest Mastercraft's site http://www.wakeboards.com/ or The House for great pricing http://www.the-house.com/

Both here in the Midwest.............only 20 minutes from my house to either.

mlawler34
08-16-2012, 12:26 PM
Thanks guys. Action Water Sports has a Shred ready in my size, which is why I ask on that. Always like supporting my dealer. But I often look around for deals and have looked at both the sites you mention mrmastercraft.

mlawler34
08-16-2012, 12:27 PM
Got a brand new pro-tec carbon fibre finish watersports helment on ebay for $40 delivered...

This one is nice looking.... http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=fndoz35&model_id=inspiron-15-intel-n5050&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&

I assume this is the wrong link. Took me to Dell's website

mikeg205
08-16-2012, 12:30 PM
oops...user error

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pro-tec-Ace-Water-Helmet-Size-Large-Gloss-Blue-/230838009865?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35bf048009#ht_500wt_1288

better.. sorry

mlawler34
08-16-2012, 12:35 PM
I am definitely liking the pro-tecs. A very well known skate and snowboard brand. I just cant seem to find anything on their website that specifically makes it for use in water. And I am loving the bright red matte finish they have. haha Matches the xstar.

mikeg205
08-16-2012, 12:38 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pro-Tec-WATER-Two-Face-Skate-Skateboard-Helmet-CARBON-S-M-L-XL-/190670698504?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item2c64dbf808#ht_4068wt_1271

this the one I got...because of the ear flaps.

thatsmrmastercraft
08-16-2012, 12:40 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pro-Tec-WATER-Two-Face-Skate-Skateboard-Helmet-CARBON-S-M-L-XL-/190670698504?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item2c64dbf808#ht_4068wt_1271

this the one I got...because of the ear flaps.

Ear flaps are definitely the way to go. Order a back-up set as they will un-snap and vanish from time to time.

deminimis
08-31-2012, 03:32 PM
Well kids, Pro-Tec is getting out of the wake helmet biz (I've been told all helmets). Don't know why. Used them for years for sail boarding, etc. The Boy and I have Pro-tecs for wakeboarding and snowboarding. Never a problem. For wake, size small is just about all that's left out there now, with a few exceptions. However, right now, The House is selling sky blue mediums for only $35, if anyone needs one. Just ordered one for The Girl. Here you go: http://www.the-house.com/pt8acw02gsb10zz-protec-wakeboard-helmets.html

Disregard: Sold out already.

GoneBoatN
08-31-2012, 05:52 PM
I'm in the yes to helmet camp now. I got a Liquid Force - http://www.liquidforce.com/helmets-core.html. In the past couple of weeks of using it I've taken a couple of good falls and so far the head feels like they did not even happen - the rest of the body has but not the head. After taking a pretty good knock to the head earlier this year, I'm happy to use the helmet. I like the LF helmet because it fits close to the head so less likely for water to get under and create drag (pulling on the head and neck).

The same helmet fits my son; I just have to find one in my daughter's size. My local shop is ordering some trying to find her size. The only downside to the LF Helmets we found is that there is variation in sizes (actually variation in the same size) you you really need to try them on before you buy.

Granite_33
09-04-2012, 01:05 PM
Wifes cousin was airlifted from Breckenridge, CO to Denver a number of years ago. Hotshot snowboarder, apparently tried to do some type of invert from a decent drop. No helmet. He still has no memory of the event. Went through about a year of rehab. Frozen to the ground when they found him.......

GoneBoatN
09-04-2012, 02:23 PM
Wifes cousin was airlifted from Breckenridge, CO to Denver a number of years ago. Hotshot snowboarder, apparently tried to do some type of invert from a decent drop. No helmet. He still has no memory of the event. Went through about a year of rehab. Frozen to the ground when they found him.......

I've snow skied for over 36 years now. :rolleyes: I can't remember exactly, but I'd have to say the last 20 years or so have been with a helmet. I would never consider stepping onto a ski slope without one. My kids are not alowed to step on a ski slope without one. When I was a young 20 something I took out 4 molars (fractured) by taking an impact to the chin. That was an expensive day skiing.

For me, it was deciding if it would do more good than harm wearing a helmet while wakeboarding. I tried a helmet that my son had. It was not specifically made for watersports. So it was a little wide from the head. It resulted in too much drag upon re-entry (so to speak) of the water; meaning a good yank to the head. The helmet I got for watersports is about 1 inch away from the head = no more yank = decision done.

tex
12-24-2012, 01:11 PM
I wear pro tec but as most of you know they are done with water helmets. People have mentioned Shred Ready helmets here and they look very good. My next purchase will be from them. Here is their website.

http://www.shredready.com/index.php

mxhideout
12-25-2012, 07:12 PM
I'm looking to get a helmet, but my dad is looking for one with a face mask/guard. Are they any that have a removable guard?

thatsmrmastercraft
12-26-2012, 11:31 AM
I'm looking to get a helmet, but my dad is looking for one with a face mask/guard. Are they any that have a removable guard?

I'm not aware of any with a face-guard. You might give the guys at Midwest Mastercraft a shout. Their pro-shop is pretty complete.....and they have been known to bring in things not normally stocked. 763-533-9666
http://www.waterskis.com/

scott023
12-26-2012, 12:03 PM

Seems to me that a guard on it would add some unwanted issues and potential injuries.

mxhideout
12-26-2012, 01:01 PM
Really? I thought I've seen some slalom skiers with a guard.... Hmm, maybe I'm wrong...

thatsmrmastercraft
12-26-2012, 01:33 PM
Seems to me that a guard on it would add some unwanted issues and potential injuries.

Kind of what I was thinking.

GoneBoatN
12-26-2012, 02:45 PM
Kind of what I was thinking.

I'd agree too. But I noticed the previously posted shredready site had a helmet with a guard on it under the watersports category.

BTW - why I wear a helmet even while just riding - http://vimeo.com/54804149. That was a pretty hard faceplant and I did not feel a thing (on my head anyways).

I liked the Liquid Force helmet because it fit very close to the head = less drag on "re-entry". Mine is the "Core" model. http://liquidforce.com/helmets-core.html.

Nick911
12-26-2012, 03:20 PM
I use the ProTec helmet. I wear it primarily for the ear protection as I've blown out ear drums before. Definitely confortable.

tex
12-26-2012, 06:33 PM

LD jumpers like the guard to protect the face!

mcparadise
12-26-2012, 07:24 PM
Good info and I'm convinced. Why test your luck for the new year?

thatsmrmastercraft
12-27-2012, 12:29 AM
I'd agree too. But I noticed the previously posted shredready site had a helmet with a guard on it under the watersports category.

BTW - why I wear a helmet even while just riding - http://vimeo.com/54804149. That was a pretty hard faceplant and I did not feel a thing (on my head anyways).

I liked the Liquid Force helmet because it fit very close to the head = less drag on "re-entry". Mine is the "Core" model. http://liquidforce.com/helmets-core.html.

My son always wears his helmet for the same reason. Finding the correct fit is the key to protection and comfort so you will always wear it.

mxhideout
12-31-2012, 02:03 AM
I don't quite understand how a face guard would cause more issues... I can't find any medium sized blue/black protec ace wake helmets. Are there any other good helmets with ear protection for $50 or less?

CC2MC
01-07-2013, 12:46 AM
This really has me considering a helmet. I have thought about it before, but now that I am adding ballast to the boat and will be trying bigger jumps, I will probably make the investment. I know that trying on a helmet would be the best way to size it, but does anyone that has a helmet know if it fits in size like a motorcycle helmet? Boat show is coming up in a couple weeks, so i will see if anyone has any there.

pmikler
04-01-2013, 03:08 PM
After a big smack yesterday its helmet time.... Anyone heard of these guys?

http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfid=2056&pdeptid=1768

Even though its not wakeboard specific its made for watersports

The reason i am gravitating towards it is it has a internal fine tune adjustment that i don't see on any other brand (not talking about the chin strap)

Thoughts?

mikeg205
04-01-2013, 03:27 PM
I use the ProTec helmet. I wear it primarily for the ear protection as I've blown out ear drums before. Definitely confortable.

I wear mine for the same exact reason - Protec is what I have...

Beg4wake
04-01-2013, 03:37 PM
I've ruptured an ear drum before just jumping off a boat and let be tell ya, it hurts like HELL! I also had a severe concussion once from a badly landed backroll to revert and ended up loosing my memory for about 4.5 days (the story actually ended up in a Wakeboarding Magazine article where I won some free swag for letter of the month!). I don't always wear a helmet now but I def do whenever I'm trying new tricks and wouldn't be ashamed at all to put one on all the time.

tmacx2
04-01-2013, 03:47 PM
I have a helmet without the ear protectors. Anyone know where I can find just the ear protectors to add to the helmet or am I going to have to buy a helmet that comes with them?

mikeg205
04-01-2013, 04:21 PM
I have a helmet without the ear protectors. Anyone know where I can find just the ear protectors to add to the helmet or am I going to have to buy a helmet that comes with them?

what brand helmet?

tmacx2
04-01-2013, 05:21 PM
liquid force

mikeg205
04-01-2013, 05:39 PM
do you have snaps in your helmet - if so.. http://www.wholesalemarine.com/p/L-F-2105415/

tmacx2
04-01-2013, 05:43 PM
Just checked the helmet. It does have snaps. Awesome. Thanks!

mikeg205
04-01-2013, 05:45 PM
That's why we are all here... :) You're very welcome..

swatguy
04-01-2013, 11:24 PM

The reason i am gravitating towards it is it has a internal fine tune adjustment that i don't see on any other brand (not talking about the chin strap)

Thoughts?

Nice find I love that final tweak adjustment inside. I may just have to pull the trigger on that. My daughter and wife all have Bern snowboard helmets with a similar system it works great for them and really gives you a great fit. The reason I haven't pulled the trigger yet on a wake helmet is because I haven't found one that fits me properly just yet. I seem to be inbetween a medium and a large in every line I have tried.

GoneBoatN
04-02-2013, 01:24 AM
Nice find I love that final tweak adjustment inside. I may just have to pull the trigger on that. My daughter and wife all have Bern snowboard helmets with a similar system it works great for them and really gives you a great fit. The reason I haven't pulled the trigger yet on a wake helmet is because I haven't found one that fits me properly just yet. I seem to be inbetween a medium and a large in every line I have tried.

If you have a local shop that sells the liquid force helmets, you might want to try on several Large or mediums. I found that they varied in size and after trying on about a dozen I found one that fit perfect.

swatguy
04-02-2013, 11:40 AM
will do. Thanks for the heads up

wakeX2wake
04-02-2013, 01:41 PM
will do. Thanks for the heads up

pun received! i kid

i was reading through this thread and at risk of drumming up a ton of hatred... i don't wear a helmet... never have... won't make fun of anyone for wearing one tho... they personally are cumbersome and distracting for me... maybe i haven't found the right fit yet... anyways that was my preface statement...

from my experience (in some cases limited) with water sports some just leave you more succeptible to injury/head injury than others... all are risky to a point and there's more war/injury stories out there than can be imagined but... we were in an in depth converstaion over coors light and came to a conclusion that sports like ski jumping/wakeboarding where you leave the water are more likely to leave you injured... footing and slalom you rarely leave the water... the fall into the water at any speed and the "plugging" effect is what makes injuries more likely b/c remember: "speed won't hurt you but the acceleration will kill you"... its the sudden stop when you plug into the added resistance of the water that gets you where in some sports youre more likely to skip or tumble if for just a moment will make all the difference in reducing the acceleration (in a negative direction for those who have been through a few physics classes)... so it seems reasonable to me that you'd be lees likely to come across the issue on a slalom course than at a wakeboarding comp

pmikler
04-02-2013, 02:11 PM

I am in the same boat but my melon head is between a large and a x-Large. I am gonna pull the trigger today and i'll tell you my thoughts on the fit when i get it. I.e. smaller or larger than size.

TOO-TALL
04-02-2013, 08:13 PM

Thoughts?

I like those.
Been wearing pro-tec for years... there ok.

Shred ready looks good too..

TOO-TALL
04-02-2013, 08:14 PM
http://www.shredready.com/products.php

Hogwild
04-03-2013, 09:49 PM
http://www.shredready.com/products.php

I purchased this one a couple of weeks ago:

http://shredready.shptron.com/p/standard-full-cut?pp=12

I like the fit, but it's definitely a lot different than my snowboard helmet. It sits on my head a little more tilted to the front if that makes any sense. Bought mine at backcountry.com with a discount

swatguy
04-07-2013, 01:41 AM
pun received! i kid

i was reading through this thread and at risk of drumming up a ton of hatred... i don't wear a helmet... never have... won't make fun of anyone for wearing one tho... they personally are cumbersome and distracting for me... maybe i haven't found the right fit yet... anyways that was my preface statement...

from my experience (in some cases limited) with water sports some just leave you more succeptible to injury/head injury than others... all are risky to a point and there's more war/injury stories out there than can be imagined but... we were in an in depth converstaion over coors light and came to a conclusion that sports like ski jumping/wakeboarding where you leave the water are more likely to leave you injured... footing and slalom you rarely leave the water... the fall into the water at any speed and the "plugging" effect is what makes injuries more likely b/c remember: "speed won't hurt you but the acceleration will kill you"... its the sudden stop when you plug into the added resistance of the water that gets you where in some sports youre more likely to skip or tumble if for just a moment will make all the difference in reducing the acceleration (in a negative direction for those who have been through a few physics classes)... so it seems reasonable to me that you'd be lees likely to come across the issue on a slalom course than at a wakeboarding comp

You know I used to have that same thought. Was convinced at ine point that they were just for peotection from obstacles. However I figured I would give a helmet a go after learning a couple higher end tricks. I was going for some off axis 3's and 5's and was killing myself catching my back edge. I was hitting the water hard. Tried the snowboard helmet for a day. I'll be damned it helped me a ton from ringing my bell. Especially with the ear guards in there. For me I am so used to wearing a helmet between snowboarding and playing ice hockey I wouldn't even notice it. My issue tho as mentioned is I can't find a wake helmet that fits me even close to the way my snowboard or hockey helmet do.

CC2MC
04-07-2013, 12:18 PM
I am in the same boat but my melon head is between a large and a x-Large. I am gonna pull the trigger today and i'll tell you my thoughts on the fit when i get it. I.e. smaller or larger than size.

Well you could go with a protech XL bc they have an adjustment strap at the back and inserts to get to the correct size. Just a thought. I would suggest trying one on if possible.

pmikler
04-10-2013, 04:46 PM
The NRS helmet arrived today and with the quick adjustment strap there is absolutely no movement front to back... unfortunately this is not a helmet for someone who has an oblong head. I had a fingers worth of play on both sides of the helmet while it fit perfectly front to back. If you have a round head i would recommend it.

Thoughts?

medicmoose
04-11-2013, 08:34 AM
they personally are cumbersome and distracting for me...

Not hating on you....but I love hearing people use this type of line when talking about the use of safety equipment! You know what else is cumbersome and distracting...wheelchairs, canes and feeding tubes!

All kidding aside, protect your melons! You only get one and any damage received to it can be severely life altering.

Another thing to remember is that the helmet does not end all head injuries...but it can stop further trauma to the skull (i.e. skull fractures, etc.). So, for those who make the comment that wearing a helmet gives them more confidence to do more or go higher, remember that a brain injury often results from the brain sloshing around inside that hard case (skull). The helmet can not protect against that. My son ended his snowboarding season early this year due to a concussion...he always has a helmet on.

If you don't have one...go get one. To me, the helmets look pretty cool now so there should be no shame in wearing one!

GoneBoatN
04-11-2013, 03:16 PM
Not hating on you....but I love hearing people use this type of line when talking about the use of safety equipment! You know what else is cumbersome and distracting...wheelchairs, canes and feeding tubes!

All kidding aside, protect your melons! You only get one and any damage received to it can be severely life altering.

Another thing to remember is that the helmet does not end all head injuries...but it can stop further trauma to the skull (i.e. skull fractures, etc.). So, for those who make the comment that wearing a helmet gives them more confidence to do more or go higher, remember that a brain injury often results from the brain sloshing around inside that hard case (skull). The helmet can not protect against that. My son ended his snowboarding season early this year due to a concussion...he always has a helmet on.

If you don't have one...go get one. To me, the helmets look pretty cool now so there should be no shame in wearing one!

Well said. Hope your son recovers well from the concussion.

My daughter got a concussion while wakeboarding without a helmet. "No Helmet = No Wakeboarding (nor wakeskating)" became the rule. Like you, helmets for snow sports (and bikes, skateboards) were always the rule.

Oh, don't forget the chin strap - they are there for a reason. I can't count the number of times I had this discussion with my son over the years. A boy in our boy scout troop was on a bike and got hit by a car. He had a helmet on but the chin strap was not clasped. Helmet came off and that boy now has permanent brain damage resulting in leaning difficulties.