PDA

View Full Version : Workout / fitness for watersports

kgrove
05-09-2012, 04:50 PM
Coming up on 45 yrs old and the body isn't what it used to be. I'm starting to get more soreness in my legs, shoulders, and lower back when wakeboarding. What all are you finding works best for workout routines and general fitness to minimize soreness from wakeboarding and waterskiing? Right now I'm doing nothing specific ... Just jogging for general conditioning and keeping the weight off. I'm sure I need to add weight training, just haven't decided on what type, what muscles to focus on, or how often.

russlars
05-09-2012, 05:05 PM
The best workout for what you need is to spend more time waterskiing and wake boarding! Seriously! :)

Brian B
05-09-2012, 05:08 PM
Between watersports and mixed martial arts, I feel dialed! (And I'm sore after each session)

aquaman
05-09-2012, 05:11 PM
The best workout for what you need is to spend more time waterskiing and wake boarding! Seriously! :)

Very true.

We use a Concept C Rower in the off season......uses same muscle groups as skiing.

gatorguy
05-09-2012, 05:16 PM
For functional fitness nothing beat a good crossfit/P90X/insanity style workout. I personally follow along with a gym out of Utah. They post a workout every day on their website www.GPPfit.com I don't buy into everything they guy says, but the workouts are great, and they are free, and don't take much home equipment.

ted shred
05-09-2012, 05:42 PM
I am over 50. I work out with weights and do a lot of cardio, but nothing compares to getting behind the boat. Like russlars, I think the best workout for skiing or boarding, is skiing and boarding.

sleeporbutter
05-09-2012, 05:48 PM
I am over 50. I work out with weights and do a lot of cardio, but nothing compares to getting behind the boat. Like russlars, I think the best workout for skiing or boarding, is skiing and boarding.
Me too... I thought this winter I was doing well with core fitness, some weights, and sprints for cardio. Then I hit the water for the first time last weekend... I'm still feeling the pain!

Whisky
05-09-2012, 05:55 PM
There are five areas of fitness: cardio, strength, power, balance and flexibility. If one suffers, they all suffer. Think of the analogy of the "weakest link". Skiing and boarding are very dynamic activities that require intense core muscle work. The core includes thighs to chest and the ever-forgotten back and lower back muscle groups. So, I agree with the others about doing a P90X-type workout or Crossfit workout with Yoga. The one thing the other posters have not mentioned is balance exercises.

Good luck!

TOO-TALL
05-09-2012, 06:10 PM
I'ven been doing TRX Atomic push ups at home along with strecthing.really like the way I feel after words.
At the gym I'll do Cardio and some weights.

Huskie05
05-09-2012, 06:21 PM
My solution that is working awesome, buying bigger pants and wake board shorts. I used to be in great shape, too much work and travel. Captain Fatty lives!

Buy bigger board shorts. Call it good. Viva la twinky.

mikeg205
05-09-2012, 06:32 PM
At 52... anything to strengthen core and lot's of cycling...little bit of leg presses and rowing and curling... pretty fit..however, nothing compares to the beating you get behind the boat. But most importantly core... need it for the crunch when you say..."hit it"

bjames
05-09-2012, 07:17 PM
I think everyone is telling you to spend more time behind the boat... Personally I like that excuse, as it gives me more reason to head out on the water more often :)

Brian B
05-09-2012, 07:24 PM
I think everyone is telling you to spend more time behind the boat... Personally I like that excuse, as it gives me more reason to head out on the water more often :)

This is true! I dont do as much wakeboarding these days as I'm trying not to injure myself, and I like surfing more. But I still make it a point to get on the board every time I go to the lake to keep up on the core, and stabilizer muscles.......

sp00ky
05-09-2012, 10:06 PM
Coming up on 45 yrs old and the body isn't what it used to be. I'm starting to get more soreness in my legs, shoulders, and lower back when wakeboarding. What all are you finding works best for workout routines and general fitness to minimize soreness from wakeboarding and waterskiing? Right now I'm doing nothing specific ... Just jogging for general conditioning and keeping the weight off. I'm sure I need to add weight training, just haven't decided on what type, what muscles to focus on, or how often.

Strength training, strength training. Strength training. Hit the weights/nautilus 3x per week. I personally do p90x

curtish
05-10-2012, 02:04 AM
My solution that is working awesome, buying bigger pants and wake board shorts. I used to be in great shape, too much work and travel. Captain Fatty lives!

Buy bigger board shorts. Call it good. Viva la twinky.

Oh man, that was a good one. Now my abs hurt. Guess I need to go workout.

hragsarkissian
05-10-2012, 03:04 AM
Yup...I agree with all of the above. One thing I cannot stress enough is stretch BEFORE and AFTER! it will really help you with the soreness and will prevent any injury.

19_Skier
05-10-2012, 08:19 AM

that is a great excuse if you ask me! A lot have already said it, some form of crossfit is great - I have been running insanity workouts recently as it really focuses on the keys for skiing; core, legs, back/shoulders.

-V-
05-10-2012, 10:00 AM
P90X, and X2 works nice. I have tightened up my regime over the past 3 months, dropped a couple pounds to get ready for my new job (PCS Move), and I can say that the change up every once in a while is good for you.

Huskie05
05-10-2012, 12:35 PM
Oh man, that was a good one. Now my abs hurt. Guess I need to go workout.

God, thank you for laughing, it was meant as a joke. As I type this the wife has me on a diet, working out at night, going to the doctor. Kids are very pissed at me. New diet means all the good food in the house went in the trash. No more ice cream, whole milk for coffee, gone! Basically the entire family is eating better and the kids are taking it out on me.

gatorguy
05-10-2012, 01:16 PM
God, thank you for laughing, it was meant as a joke. As I type this the wife has me on a diet, working out at night, going to the doctor. Kids are very pissed at me. New diet means all the good food in the house went in the trash. No more ice cream, whole milk for coffee, gone! Basically the entire family is eating better and the kids are taking it out on me.

Good for you. Same thing happened at my house. My wife has been doing it for a while and I have not been that supportive, but now I'm all in. Lost 4% body fat in the last 3 weeks, and have another 3% to go till I hit my goal. I sure miss my peanut butter M&M's though.

Huskie05
05-10-2012, 01:34 PM
Good for you. Same thing happened at my house. My wife has been doing it for a while and I have not been that supportive, but now I'm all in. Lost 4% body fat in the last 3 weeks, and have another 3% to go till I hit my goal. I sure miss my peanut butter M&M's though.

OMG I love peanut butter M&M's! :D

Sullivan
05-11-2012, 09:31 PM
I use the Bowflex one day and a Treadclimber the following day. I also ski just about every day, two sets. I am still sore every morning getting out of bed in my shoulders. Treadclimber burns a boat load of calories and the Bowflex keeps me strong. I lost 100 lbs doing this.

mikeg205
05-12-2012, 01:39 PM
Worked to lose 30lbs to take strain off my arms...went from 220 to 190...now headed to 180... Deep water starts much easier and I my stamina is way up... What I notice is the the groin part of the quad muscle group needs more winter work...its only part that gets sore after a good day on the water....

ahhudgins
05-12-2012, 03:40 PM
Whatever you decide to do, mix it up a little. There is no one solution. I just turned the BIG 50 this March and I’ve always done free weights and cardio at the gym. My strength training is no where near as intense as it was 10 years ago due to a bad knee and shoulder. I thought I was in great shape until I cut down 2 dead trees last weekend and stacked the wood…man was I sore the next two days.

If all else fails….slalom! I wakeboard, barefoot, and trick ski every weekend. I put on the slalom ski for a few minutes and I have to drag myself back up on the platform. But it feels good!:D

mikeg205
05-12-2012, 04:11 PM
If all else fails….slalom! I wakeboard, barefoot, and trick ski every weekend. I put on the slalom ski for a few minutes and I have to drag myself back up on the platform. But it feels good!:D

The sign of a good long slalom run...dragging yourself up onto the swim deck... :D

You know your in shape when this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6Cm4mrx2hY&feature=youtu.be does not hurt... :) :D

First outing of season water temp 49 degrees...was tired bad form you'll see the results...and hear the commentary from the boat crew....lol

d2jp
05-13-2012, 11:18 AM
swim.bike.run. aka triathlons and the training that goes with them - i'm in the over 50 crowd and find this works well for me, and is sometimes even fun:)

Diver14
05-13-2012, 02:37 PM
Crossfit and Paleo diet. You can do this from your home but I recommend joining an affiliate. Nothing like a little competition to make you better. You read more about it here. http://library.crossfit.com/free/pdf/CFJ_Trial_04_2012.pdf and http://library.crossfit.com/free/pdf/Foundations.pdf they also post there daily workouts on the website www.crossfit.com

Crossfit focuses on 10 general skills

Cardio/respiratory
stamina
strength
flexibility
power
speed
coordination
agility
balance
accuracy

This really is life changing. At least for me it was.

FoggyNogginz
04-18-2016, 12:18 PM
Holy four year old thread revival!

I just bought a WaterRower this year and I totally love it. I will alternate holding the handle I'm different ways to simulate different slalom and wake pulls, and it really is a super workout. One of the things that is really cool about it is the sound of the water tank swishing around when you pull. As a water guy, I think I'm kind of addicted to that noise. If any of you are looking at getting a rower as a way to get a quick workout, check these guys out. Very happy with mine, and I'm down 12 lbs too!

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160418/3c5f66f54d8d156f3143a4055924889a.jpg

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160418/81565ee860d678237235be5ec9a241f1.jpg

uplandbird
04-18-2016, 12:36 PM
Just start surfing!

Heck, I drink beer while I'm surfing!

No need to do P90X to do that.

04 Star Rider
04-18-2016, 12:41 PM
i suggest more 12 ounce curls

mzimme
04-18-2016, 12:41 PM
Very nice. What's your workout routine with it?

jbmccul
04-18-2016, 12:44 PM

I just bought a WaterRower this year and I totally love it. I will alternate holding the handle I'm different ways to simulate different slalom and wake pulls, and it really is a super workout. One of the things that is really cool about it is the sound of the water tank swishing around when you pull. As a water guy, I think I'm kind of addicted to that noise. If any of you are looking at getting a rower as a way to get a quick workout, check these guys out. Very happy with mine, and I'm down 12 lbs too!

Looking good Frank Underwood!

skibum0511
04-18-2016, 12:52 PM
Hah^^ No kidding. Beat me to it.

I'm a big believer in the Crossfit-type workouts. I workout at a Crossfit affiliate in West Michigan. Watched almost everyone in my group of skiers hurt themselves in some manner last summer. I chalk up most of those injuries to lack of core strength and lack of flexibility. Crossfit helps immensely with both, provided you can find a good gym. Garage gyms are great too, but if you're new to it, just pay the money and get some quality coaching at an affiliate before you start throwing weight around with poor form.

FoggyNogginz
04-18-2016, 12:53 PM
Very nice. What's your workout routine with it?
Honestly, I'm not much on a routine. I just jump on it and go. I generally go 30-45 mins, a little over three miles, and burn about 400 calories. I switch up handle grips every 30 pulls throughout the workout (left up, right up, both up) to work differently muscle groups, and it wears me out! It's a great tool for the days where you only have an hour to workout and shower, but you want to get cardio and core.

FoggyNogginz
04-18-2016, 12:54 PM
i suggest more 12 ounce curls

I've decided not to drink on any day except Saturday between now and Memorial Day. It might not sound like much, but it's actually quite the sacrifice!

mzimme
04-18-2016, 01:07 PM
I've decided not to drink on any day except Saturday between now and Memorial Day. It might not sound like much, but it's actually quite the sacrifice!

I feel you. I always tell myself to take baby steps when I try going on a "diet". Right now I'm on phase 1, which is trying to eat healthy for a couple weeks to get in the habit of that.

Rather than having a Jimmy Johns sandwhich, or some other sandwhich with chips and a soda, or pizza, or whatever the flavor of the day is at work, I try to bring in grilled chicken and ceasar salad kits to keep from downing 1000 calories at lunch.

I'm on week 2 of that right now... week one was good, and to help I bring in decent snacks like trail mix and beef jerky to eat at my desk if I start getting hungry. I also completely stop drinking soda, which isn't really that hard for me, and if I go for an energy drink it's the Monster Zero cal drinks.

For dinner, it's easy. I love pizza and burgers, but limit that to a single day a week. Most dinners consist of some kind of fish or chicken cooked in different ways, then a veggie or two of some kind. Main go-to's are roasted asparagus/brussel sprouts, or steamed broccoli/carrots and a sweet potato or sweet potato "chips" that are just baked sliced sweet potatoes with coconut oil and rosemary/sea salt on them.

All of that stuff is great, and tastes awesome cooking it on my Traeger. The hard part is cutting down on the 2-3 beers I like to have between getting home from work, dinner, and just relaxing. Cut that out, and it make things better, but that's phase two which comes after this week of eating right is done.

I also keep a cheat day. That was Saturday this week. Not a good day haha. Phase 3 is working in a workout to go along with the healthier diet. That's when I start seeing results. Looking for something to do that I enjoy. I like doing something fun that doubles as exercising, and going to a gym doesn't fit that nitch for me.

The struggle is real.

jbmccul
04-18-2016, 01:20 PM
I feel you. I always tell myself to take baby steps when I try going on a "diet". Right now I'm on phase 1, which is trying to eat healthy for a couple weeks to get in the habit of that.

Rather than having a Jimmy Johns sandwhich, or some other sandwhich with chips and a soda, or pizza, or whatever the flavor of the day is at work, I try to bring in grilled chicken and ceasar salad kits to keep from downing 1000 calories at lunch.

I'm on week 2 of that right now... week one was good, and to help I bring in decent snacks like trail mix and beef jerky to eat at my desk if I start getting hungry. I also completely stop drinking soda, which isn't really that hard for me, and if I go for an energy drink it's the Monster Zero cal drinks.

For dinner, it's easy. I love pizza and burgers, but limit that to a single day a week. Most dinners consist of some kind of fish or chicken cooked in different ways, then a veggie or two of some kind. Main go-to's are roasted asparagus/brussel sprouts, or steamed broccoli/carrots and a sweet potato or sweet potato "chips" that are just baked sliced sweet potatoes with coconut oil and rosemary/sea salt on them.

All of that stuff is great, and tastes awesome cooking it on my Traeger. The hard part is cutting down on the 2-3 beers I like to have between getting home from work, dinner, and just relaxing. Cut that out, and it make things better, but that's phase two which comes after this week of eating right is done.

I also keep a cheat day. That was Saturday this week. Not a good day haha. Phase 3 is working in a workout to go along with the healthier diet. That's when I start seeing results. Looking for something to do that I enjoy. I like doing something fun that doubles as exercising, and going to a gym doesn't fit that nitch for me.

The struggle is real.

I'm really liking this idea. I'm working to cut out fast food and other things for lunch and have started meal prepping on the weekend. Also running a few times a week however one of the local bars does a 5k evert Tuesday with 2 for 1 beers after so that day is kind of a wash. Trying to cut out the booze but that's slow going.

mzimme
04-18-2016, 01:37 PM
I'm really liking this idea. I'm working to cut out fast food and other things for lunch and have started meal prepping on the weekend. Also running a few times a week however one of the local bars does a 5k evert Tuesday with 2 for 1 beers after so that day is kind of a wash. Trying to cut out the booze but that's slow going.

Yeah, I find it nearly impossible to do everything at once. If you stop eating bad, stop drinking, and start exercising all at the same time, for me anyway, I last a few days then fall off the wagon. This keeps me on track. I give up a little bit at a time so it's not such a drastic change. I'm also not super hardcore... if I slip up and have a brownie or a couple extra beers, not the end of the world. Just keep it consistent during the week especially.

dvsone79
04-18-2016, 01:38 PM

The struggle is real.

You're definitely on the right track. Eating clean is, IMO, the most important thing. Once you're consistent with that, mix in strength training of some sort. Lift heavy things. Walk. Run. Master the body weight type gymnastics movements (push ups, pull ups, squats, etc) then move on to some of the olympic lifts (clean and jerk, snatch). Get a kettlebell. Do kettlebell swings. No other accessory type tool works the entire core the way KB swings do. Mix things up. Do each workout differently.

Here's a good resource for eating and living clean: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/

FoggyNogginz
04-18-2016, 01:46 PM

I agree. My plan is like this:

1. I can't trust restaurants to not load things with sodium, fats, sugar, etc, so I have decided that all restaurant meals will either be fish or a salad without dressing on it.
2. All drinks will be water except on Saturdays, and then I try to go with Jack and diet or a few light beers (not 12). No margaritas.
3. I am eliminating bread except for croutons, and I have also eliminated chips and fries.
4. I am also a pizza guy, but I have decided to make my own these days so that I know what is in it and I can control the fat, calories, sodium, proteins, etc.
5. Breakfast everyday is oatmeal or eggs, and lunch is either a homemade smoothie or a salad.
6. Eating grilled fish 2x per week, and forcing more steamed veggies since I don't eat vegetables nearly enough.
7. Never miss two days of working out, and mix up workouts so that I don't get bored.

This is not perfect, but it's a far cry from the pizza rolls and chicken wings that I was eating six months ago.

jbmccul
04-18-2016, 02:05 PM
Yeah, I find it nearly impossible to do everything at once. If you stop eating bad, stop drinking, and start exercising all at the same time, for me anyway, I last a few days then fall off the wagon. This keeps me on track. I give up a little bit at a time so it's not such a drastic change. I'm also not super hardcore... if I slip up and have a brownie or a couple extra beers, not the end of the world. Just keep it consistent during the week especially.

I'm trying to ease into it for sure I have finals coming up and then a move so I'm trying my best to stay on track. Started making cold brew tea and keeping a pitcher in the fridge to replace things like coffee, Coke and Red Bull which is working well so far.

I agree. My plan is like this:

1. I can't trust restaurants to not load things with sodium, fats, sugar, etc, so I have decided that all restaurant meals will either be fish or a salad without dressing on it.
2. All drinks will be water except on Saturdays, and then I try to go with Jack and diet or a few light beers (not 12). No margaritas.
3. I am eliminating bread except for croutons, and I have also eliminated chips and fries.
4. I am also a pizza guy, but I have decided to make my own these days so that I know what is in it and I can control the fat, calories, sodium, proteins, etc.
5. Breakfast everyday is oatmeal or eggs, and lunch is either a homemade smoothie or a salad.
6. Eating grilled fish 2x per week, and forcing more steamed veggies since I don't eat vegetables nearly enough.
7. Never miss two days of working out, and mix up workouts so that I don't get bored.

This is not perfect, but it's a far cry from the pizza rolls and chicken wings that I was eating six months ago.

I like the idea of fish and salads at restaurants especially since it seems like everything down here is fried. On the days that I do drink I'm trying to keep it to whisky and Mich. Ultra but I have a soft spot for Canebrake.

Trying to do more healthy grilling buy my condo complex is in the process of replacing our deck so my grill has been stuck inside the last few weeks. I started using the Health app on my phone but thinking about getting something like a FitBit to keep better track of the calories I burn per day and of course trying to get out on the water as much as possible for a few sets!

epnault
04-18-2016, 05:07 PM
I'm trying to ease into it for sure I have finals coming up and then a move so I'm trying my best to stay on track. Started making cold brew tea and keeping a pitcher in the fridge to replace things like coffee, Coke and Red Bull which is working well so far.

I like the idea of fish and salads at restaurants especially since it seems like everything down here is fried. On the days that I do drink I'm trying to keep it to whisky and Mich. Ultra but I have a soft spot for Canebrake.

Trying to do more healthy grilling buy my condo complex is in the process of replacing our deck so my grill has been stuck inside the last few weeks. I started using the Health app on my phone but thinking about getting something like a FitBit to keep better track of the calories I burn per day and of course trying to get out on the water as much as possible for a few sets!

Save your money on those wearable devices. Myfitnesspal is a great free app and it Calculates your calories close enough. I bought my wife a Fitbit for xmas and we have been comparing. What a waste of money. Another get fit quick gimmic that was marketed very well.

epnault
04-18-2016, 05:11 PM

I am shopping for a rower now and would like to hear more about this one. How is the construction? That wood kind of makes me think it won't last.

FoggyNogginz
04-19-2016, 05:03 PM
Very solid construction.

FoggyNogginz
04-19-2016, 05:05 PM
Sorry...hit send too soon. Waterrower to me appears to be very stable construction and it is made from solid Ash wood. The flywheel design is very simple and it is essentially put together with a through bolted design that keeps everything very solid and true. As someone who has built many dressers, headboards, boats and tables out of solid wood myself, this thing should last for many years with very minor wear out components.

epnault
04-20-2016, 12:35 AM
Thanks for your feedback. What model would you suggest for daily use at home?