PDA

View Full Version : Workout / fitness for watersports

kgrove
05-09-2012, 04:50 PM
Coming up on 45 yrs old and the body isn't what it used to be. I'm starting to get more soreness in my legs, shoulders, and lower back when wakeboarding. What all are you finding works best for workout routines and general fitness to minimize soreness from wakeboarding and waterskiing? Right now I'm doing nothing specific ... Just jogging for general conditioning and keeping the weight off. I'm sure I need to add weight training, just haven't decided on what type, what muscles to focus on, or how often.

russlars
05-09-2012, 05:05 PM
The best workout for what you need is to spend more time waterskiing and wake boarding! Seriously! :)

Brian B
05-09-2012, 05:08 PM
Between watersports and mixed martial arts, I feel dialed! (And I'm sore after each session)

aquaman
05-09-2012, 05:11 PM
The best workout for what you need is to spend more time waterskiing and wake boarding! Seriously! :)

Very true.

We use a Concept C Rower in the off season......uses same muscle groups as skiing.

gatorguy
05-09-2012, 05:16 PM
For functional fitness nothing beat a good crossfit/P90X/insanity style workout. I personally follow along with a gym out of Utah. They post a workout every day on their website www.GPPfit.com I don't buy into everything they guy says, but the workouts are great, and they are free, and don't take much home equipment.

ted shred
05-09-2012, 05:42 PM
I am over 50. I work out with weights and do a lot of cardio, but nothing compares to getting behind the boat. Like russlars, I think the best workout for skiing or boarding, is skiing and boarding.

sleeporbutter
05-09-2012, 05:48 PM
I am over 50. I work out with weights and do a lot of cardio, but nothing compares to getting behind the boat. Like russlars, I think the best workout for skiing or boarding, is skiing and boarding.
Me too... I thought this winter I was doing well with core fitness, some weights, and sprints for cardio. Then I hit the water for the first time last weekend... I'm still feeling the pain!

Whisky
05-09-2012, 05:55 PM
There are five areas of fitness: cardio, strength, power, balance and flexibility. If one suffers, they all suffer. Think of the analogy of the "weakest link". Skiing and boarding are very dynamic activities that require intense core muscle work. The core includes thighs to chest and the ever-forgotten back and lower back muscle groups. So, I agree with the others about doing a P90X-type workout or Crossfit workout with Yoga. The one thing the other posters have not mentioned is balance exercises.

Good luck!

TOO-TALL
05-09-2012, 06:10 PM
I'ven been doing TRX Atomic push ups at home along with strecthing.really like the way I feel after words.
At the gym I'll do Cardio and some weights.

Huskie05
05-09-2012, 06:21 PM
My solution that is working awesome, buying bigger pants and wake board shorts. I used to be in great shape, too much work and travel. Captain Fatty lives!

Buy bigger board shorts. Call it good. Viva la twinky.

mikeg205
05-09-2012, 06:32 PM
At 52... anything to strengthen core and lot's of cycling...little bit of leg presses and rowing and curling... pretty fit..however, nothing compares to the beating you get behind the boat. But most importantly core... need it for the crunch when you say..."hit it"

bjames
05-09-2012, 07:17 PM
I think everyone is telling you to spend more time behind the boat... Personally I like that excuse, as it gives me more reason to head out on the water more often :)

Brian B
05-09-2012, 07:24 PM
I think everyone is telling you to spend more time behind the boat... Personally I like that excuse, as it gives me more reason to head out on the water more often :)

This is true! I dont do as much wakeboarding these days as I'm trying not to injure myself, and I like surfing more. But I still make it a point to get on the board every time I go to the lake to keep up on the core, and stabilizer muscles.......

sp00ky
05-09-2012, 10:06 PM
Coming up on 45 yrs old and the body isn't what it used to be. I'm starting to get more soreness in my legs, shoulders, and lower back when wakeboarding. What all are you finding works best for workout routines and general fitness to minimize soreness from wakeboarding and waterskiing? Right now I'm doing nothing specific ... Just jogging for general conditioning and keeping the weight off. I'm sure I need to add weight training, just haven't decided on what type, what muscles to focus on, or how often.

Strength training, strength training. Strength training. Hit the weights/nautilus 3x per week. I personally do p90x

curtish
05-10-2012, 02:04 AM
My solution that is working awesome, buying bigger pants and wake board shorts. I used to be in great shape, too much work and travel. Captain Fatty lives!

Buy bigger board shorts. Call it good. Viva la twinky.

Oh man, that was a good one. Now my abs hurt. Guess I need to go workout.

hragsarkissian
05-10-2012, 03:04 AM
Yup...I agree with all of the above. One thing I cannot stress enough is stretch BEFORE and AFTER! it will really help you with the soreness and will prevent any injury.

19_Skier
05-10-2012, 08:19 AM

that is a great excuse if you ask me! A lot have already said it, some form of crossfit is great - I have been running insanity workouts recently as it really focuses on the keys for skiing; core, legs, back/shoulders.

-V-
05-10-2012, 10:00 AM
P90X, and X2 works nice. I have tightened up my regime over the past 3 months, dropped a couple pounds to get ready for my new job (PCS Move), and I can say that the change up every once in a while is good for you.

Huskie05
05-10-2012, 12:35 PM
Oh man, that was a good one. Now my abs hurt. Guess I need to go workout.

God, thank you for laughing, it was meant as a joke. As I type this the wife has me on a diet, working out at night, going to the doctor. Kids are very pissed at me. New diet means all the good food in the house went in the trash. No more ice cream, whole milk for coffee, gone! Basically the entire family is eating better and the kids are taking it out on me.

gatorguy
05-10-2012, 01:16 PM
God, thank you for laughing, it was meant as a joke. As I type this the wife has me on a diet, working out at night, going to the doctor. Kids are very pissed at me. New diet means all the good food in the house went in the trash. No more ice cream, whole milk for coffee, gone! Basically the entire family is eating better and the kids are taking it out on me.

Good for you. Same thing happened at my house. My wife has been doing it for a while and I have not been that supportive, but now I'm all in. Lost 4% body fat in the last 3 weeks, and have another 3% to go till I hit my goal. I sure miss my peanut butter M&M's though.

Huskie05
05-10-2012, 01:34 PM
Good for you. Same thing happened at my house. My wife has been doing it for a while and I have not been that supportive, but now I'm all in. Lost 4% body fat in the last 3 weeks, and have another 3% to go till I hit my goal. I sure miss my peanut butter M&M's though.

OMG I love peanut butter M&M's! :D

Sullivan
05-11-2012, 09:31 PM
I use the Bowflex one day and a Treadclimber the following day. I also ski just about every day, two sets. I am still sore every morning getting out of bed in my shoulders. Treadclimber burns a boat load of calories and the Bowflex keeps me strong. I lost 100 lbs doing this.

mikeg205
05-12-2012, 01:39 PM
Worked to lose 30lbs to take strain off my arms...went from 220 to 190...now headed to 180... Deep water starts much easier and I my stamina is way up... What I notice is the the groin part of the quad muscle group needs more winter work...its only part that gets sore after a good day on the water....

ahhudgins
05-12-2012, 03:40 PM
Whatever you decide to do, mix it up a little. There is no one solution. I just turned the BIG 50 this March and I’ve always done free weights and cardio at the gym. My strength training is no where near as intense as it was 10 years ago due to a bad knee and shoulder. I thought I was in great shape until I cut down 2 dead trees last weekend and stacked the wood…man was I sore the next two days.

If all else fails….slalom! I wakeboard, barefoot, and trick ski every weekend. I put on the slalom ski for a few minutes and I have to drag myself back up on the platform. But it feels good!:D

mikeg205
05-12-2012, 04:11 PM
If all else fails….slalom! I wakeboard, barefoot, and trick ski every weekend. I put on the slalom ski for a few minutes and I have to drag myself back up on the platform. But it feels good!:D

The sign of a good long slalom run...dragging yourself up onto the swim deck... :D

You know your in shape when this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6Cm4mrx2hY&feature=youtu.be does not hurt... :) :D

First outing of season water temp 49 degrees...was tired bad form you'll see the results...and hear the commentary from the boat crew....lol

d2jp
05-13-2012, 11:18 AM
swim.bike.run. aka triathlons and the training that goes with them - i'm in the over 50 crowd and find this works well for me, and is sometimes even fun:)

Diver14
05-13-2012, 02:37 PM
Crossfit and Paleo diet. You can do this from your home but I recommend joining an affiliate. Nothing like a little competition to make you better. You read more about it here. http://library.crossfit.com/free/pdf/CFJ_Trial_04_2012.pdf and http://library.crossfit.com/free/pdf/Foundations.pdf they also post there daily workouts on the website www.crossfit.com

Crossfit focuses on 10 general skills

Cardio/respiratory
stamina
strength
flexibility
power
speed
coordination
agility
balance
accuracy

This really is life changing. At least for me it was.