PDA

View Full Version : No start issue - Shot in the dark

Nelsonjeff79
05-08-2012, 09:27 PM
After searching the entire forum for someone with the same issue, here is my shot in the dark question:

I recently purchased a 2001 Prostar 209 with the Predator Engine. I had the boat out a few weeks ago and it was running (and starting) great. This past weekend when putting it in the water, when I turned the key, heard a click and nothing...... The engine would not turn over. I did the laundry list of typical problems when trying to start a boat:

-I charged and tested the battery to 100%
-Took off the and scrubbed the battery cables and starter cables
-Made sure that the boat was in neutral as I know this from my last boat this can get stuck in gear and keep the engine from starting.

I am thinking it may be either the starter solenoid or the neutral safety switch. Has anyone else had this issue?

mikeg205
05-08-2012, 09:29 PM
You heard a click? should not hear a thing if neutral position switch out...IMO....

easy access to starter? You can easily check it...

Nelsonjeff79
05-08-2012, 09:34 PM
Yes actually I forgot to post that the starter was replaced at the beginning of last year. Doesn't mean that the previous owner replaced it with a good one.

mikeg205
05-08-2012, 09:38 PM
I would check voltage to at starter...it voltage get's there when key is turned - pull the starter and take it to Autozone to have it checked... if it's bad then you'll need a marinized one.

thatsmrmastercraft
05-08-2012, 11:33 PM
Could be a bad ground at the block. Could have a bad connection at either side of the solenoid, or the starter for that matter.

What happens when you turn the key now? Any click or noise anywhere. Do you have a voltmeter or a test light? You can track this down with either.

adkskier
05-23-2012, 10:08 PM
check your safety cable. also give your starter a good wack with a hamer. same thing happened to me last summer after blown hose filled up the bilge and get starter wet. hit it on the side a few times and see if it does the trick

JimN
05-23-2012, 10:22 PM
These have ceramic magnets, so I would be careful if you decide to hit it with a hammer. I would use a dead blow mallet, if I was going to do this.

Remove the starter and I can almost guarantee that you'll see rust on the Bendix. If you can actually turn the gear to make it climb the shaft, that's probably rusty, too. This needs to be lubed annually, BTW.