PDA

View Full Version : Noob Help-2001 X Star

k2rider
05-08-2012, 12:59 PM
Hi Guys,

I have gone through and read a bunch of threads on here about the boat and everything seems to be a pretty good review of it. I happen to stumble upon one where the boat had been used in salt water and the guy is selling it right in my price range of 20k. The boat interior and exterior are immaculate with no scratch or rips. It was never left in the water after a use and has a flush kit on the transom where he "flushed it after every use" but who knows on that. The engine is brand new with zero hrs on it and the transmission was replaced in 2006 because it had water in it. I'm going to be using the boat in fresh water, and what I'm wondering is if it is even worth looking at? I have read a bunch of threads where the engines were used and you should stay away from them, but with a new engine is it worth the time to look at it. Any insight on this would be awesome or any thoughts on the boat itself would be great.

bjames
05-08-2012, 01:05 PM
Just becuase the engine is new doesnt make it any better IMO. A number of years ago I had my engine replaced on my 1997 Jeep cherrokee by a Jeep Dealer under an insurance claim (another auto place forgot to put oil in during an oil change and destroyed the V8 engine and ended up covering the $7K cost). After waiting a month for the new engine & alternator to be replaced, the jeep ran worse. I believe it was from not being set up or ajusted properly, but after that I had nothing but problems and ended up getting rid of it. Best advise is to ask to take it out for a test drive.