PDA

View Full Version : How do I remove bottom paint??

Masterwake1987
05-08-2012, 12:20 PM
Hey all,

I am interested in purchasing an older 89' prostar. The orginal owner bottom painted it a while back as I live on Long Island and we are surrounded by salt water. The paint on the rear of the boat is most faded off, but the towards the bow it is pretty strong. Any suggestions on how to easily and cleanly remove the paint?? If not I guess I could just repaint the whole bottom :(

Thanks for the advice!!

bturner2
05-08-2012, 01:26 PM
Depending on how badly the bottom was scuffed prior to applying the bottom paint you may not have a choice but to repaint or refinish the bottom. I understand the whole salt water thing to a degree but don't see why someone would leave a small boat in salt water and need to paint the bottom to start with. That being said I am from Michigan and probably don't get the whole ocean boating thing.

You could try using the lightest sandpaper that will bite into the bottom paint then progress to lighter grits until you get into the 500 range at which point you would start using rubbing compound then polishing compounds. The areas of concern here would be the toxic nature of the bottom paint, time involved in the process and cost. Heck if it's been on there long enough you may even want to start with rubbing compound. Depends on how think the bottom paint is and how much has worn off.

As a side note I saw a 06 X2 that the owner had painted the bottom on a couple years back. He was dropping his price on a weekly basis and there were no takers. The quickest way to destroy a ski boat's value up our way is to paint the bottom. That's good for a quick $5K - $10 reduction in price over a non painted equivalent.

gweaver
05-08-2012, 02:38 PM
Not being familiar with bottom paint, what's the negative of it? How does painting the bottom decrease the value of a boat, other than the appearance? Again, this is my own ignorance, but if I was able to save $5K or more on the price of a boat, it sure doesn't sound like a bad thing to me.
G

Bouyhead
05-08-2012, 02:51 PM
Bottom paint = salt water use. Scares most people away.

aquaman
05-08-2012, 02:55 PM
Bottom paint also adds alot of drag=friction and weight to any boat.

Adversely affects performance in a big way.

bturner2
05-08-2012, 07:12 PM
Looks like heck. Would be like painting bumpers stickers all over your car. It screams I'm a dufus, at least around here. Would be something I would expect my grand father to do. Or like putting mud flaps on a Corvette. You can do it but it doesn't make it a smart thing to do.

The first question you would get from another ski boat owner would be "why the heck did you do something stupid like that?" Or "why did your grandpa paint the bottom of such a high performance ski boat?" If you want to own the SS minnow, buy it then go ahead and paint the bottom. Again, that would be around here and we're a long way from the ocean. I will say however that the resort we were at was on the ocean and they didn't paint the bottom of their boat.

The reduced cost would be for someone to put it back to how it should be.

Sorry about the negative post but I did try to be nice on the first one. I'll stop posting on this tread.

Jerseydave
05-08-2012, 08:04 PM
Hey all,

I am interested in purchasing an older 89' prostar. The orginal owner bottom painted it a while back as I live on Long Island and we are surrounded by salt water. The paint on the rear of the boat is most faded off, but the towards the bow it is pretty strong. Any suggestions on how to easily and cleanly remove the paint?? If not I guess I could just repaint the whole bottom :(

Thanks for the advice!!

Talk to any marina that does soda blasting....it's the best way to remove bottom paint. I'm not saying you will have nice shiney gelcoat bottom when it's done, actually you will probably want to bottom paint it again. Are you running it in salt water again yourself? If so, there are different color bottom paints available, for instance if it's a white hull get white bottom paint so you won't notice it as easily. Or paint it black and make it like a Nautique! :D

To some of you mid-west peeps, the north shore of Long Island is full of homes worth well of $1M and the water can be class calm for early morning runs! I wouldn't turn it down!

AZX9
05-08-2012, 11:48 PM
Painting hulls is not nessesarily for ocean use. It's for boats left in any body of water fresh, brackish, or salt. A boat left In water will start to get crap on it. That being said, by a lift or use a trailer but no paint on a small boat. Anti-fouling is for large boats too big for trailers and lifts. IMHO.