PDA

View Full Version : how to add prop guard

millpondkid
05-08-2012, 12:39 AM
My original 84 mastercraft trailer does not have a prop gaurd I'm thinking I would feel more comfortable pulling into gas stations and such with a gaurd. However I'm concerned when power loading the boat because iv heard of people hitting it with there prop, not sure how that could happen though. So any input on ground clearence and angle down??? Thanks in advance...

petermegan
05-08-2012, 05:20 AM
I have been tempted to add a bar from the dead centre of mine under the prop and onto the trailer crossmember forward if that makes sense. I am scared at some stage of hitting some road kill or rock and taking out my prop and/or rudder. When you mean prop guard do you mean you have nothing at all at the back of your trailer?

thatsmrmastercraft
05-08-2012, 10:59 AM
A boat properly power-loaded onto a trailer will not hit a prop-guard. It usually come from trying to correct a very crooked approach.

millpondkid
05-08-2012, 02:15 PM
That is correct I have no prop gaurd on the trailer and there is no evidence of there ever being one. I guess I'm wondering how far off the ground to make it and how wide at the base then I can get the proper angle from trailer frame. I have a welder and cutting tools so I can do this project myself I just don't want to make it to low and or to narrow. Do any of you s and s owners have one you could measure?? Pics are nice too...

Miss Rita
05-08-2012, 02:57 PM
You should go for maximum ground clearance, but you'll need at least 2" clearance between tip of blade and guard. Width of the cage should be at least two feet, three feet would be better so that if the boat is crooked on the trailer you would avoid hitting the side of the cage with the prop.

DemolitionMan
05-08-2012, 03:25 PM
Here are some pics of a bolt on prop guard that I built about 8 years ago.

occva
05-08-2012, 05:25 PM
check out this link.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=37716

petermegan
05-08-2012, 06:41 PM
Demolition man has the idea. That is what I was referring to by a guard heading forward to protect the prop and rudder.

Miss Rita
05-08-2012, 08:16 PM
Hey Demo Man, if you worked on your fabrications skills a little you could get real good at it! Nice job.

millpondkid
05-08-2012, 10:47 PM
Ok, I now have all the info I needed. thanks for the input and pics everyone!