PDA

View Full Version : Want To Install X-7 Style Ballast System

vogelm1
08-18-2005, 03:16 PM
Hey folks - bought an '05 PS 197 this season and interested in installing a rear seat sac. Would like a factory look (for resale value, etc). Ordered the rear ballast switch from MC, and found hoses and other hardware that match at local home improvement store. Will be ordering a Jabsco Ballast Puppy pump soon. My dealer graciously let me pull the fuel tank cover out, and take off some other panels to see how it's plumbed. Couldn't see much, but felt a "tee" and two check valves under the tank...it was hard to determine what ran where and why there's one thru-hull on starboard gunnel and two on the opposite side. Anybody have a schematic of how this system is plumbed?? Any X-7 owners that can shed some light? Thanks in advance for any info!!

Mike V
Minocqua, WI

RobertT
08-18-2005, 03:19 PM
I have an X7, and don't have a clue as to how its plumbed. However, if you get into a jam let me know and I will walk down and see how its plumbed.

I do know that there is three hoses, two on the port side and one on the starboard. The starboard hose is the drain, and it drains through a through hull discharge point above the water line. There is tons of room in the back to run everything.

I do not use my ballast bag actually, because when I do I loose the rear seat. I wish there was another way.

Diesel
08-18-2005, 04:08 PM
I have a 209 which I think is the same. It is really quite simple. I am assuming you going to be running just one rear sac??

The factory rear sac should have three connections, one fill/drain (bottom starboard) and the other two are vents ( upper port). In all reality two vents are not necessary and I never could get a real definitive answer on why. I think the best guess so far has been MC's fear of the pump overfilling the sac and it bursting. :rolleyes: Any way I would just plumb one vent, one fill/drain, and obviously one raw water intake.

Your through hull intake line will need a back-flow valve so water can only go one way. The raw water intake will have to be plumbed to some type of manifold that connects to the pump and the drain through hull. Then one output of the pump is attached to the sac and the other is attached to the manifold. Wire up your DPDT switch and you should be set.

erkoehler
08-18-2005, 04:11 PM
Are you in anyway connect to the Vogel construction company that operates up there?

Ric
08-18-2005, 04:19 PM
do a search on this website for chuck dickey's boat crdickey is his username
he did this and has details on the whole install

Diesel
08-18-2005, 04:21 PM
Here is a pic of how it works..................

erkoehler
08-18-2005, 04:28 PM
:D Look below for a great pic of the setup!

Diesel
08-18-2005, 04:28 PM
Here is a pic of how it works..................
http://img312.imageshack.us/img312/2690/untitled15so.jpg

vogelm1
08-18-2005, 04:47 PM
Cool - thanks for the info and offer to look...I see there are some other posts below and I may get some more hints. Thanks again!!

vogelm1
08-18-2005, 04:48 PM
No relation, sorry...

SteveO
08-18-2005, 09:29 PM
Vogel. DanC did an awesome post on his 209 set up. I hope to add a similar one in the off season. http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=1933&page=2&pp=10&highlight=simer

Mag_Red
08-18-2005, 09:34 PM
I remember that post...too bad the pics aren't still there. :(

crdickey
08-18-2005, 09:43 PM
Pictures and drawings available. Send me your email.

DanC
08-22-2005, 06:03 PM
I remember that post...too bad the pics aren't still there. :(

I added the pictures back into that old thread today.

Workin' 4 Toys
08-22-2005, 07:54 PM
I have an X7, and don't have a clue as to how its plumbed. However, if you get into a jam let me know and I will walk down and see how its plumbed.

I do know that there is three hoses, two on the port side and one on the starboard. The starboard hose is the drain, and it drains through a through hull discharge point above the water line. There is tons of room in the back to run everything.

I do not use my ballast bag actually, because when I do I loose the rear seat. I wish there was another way.
Why do you loose the rear seat?

RobertT
08-22-2005, 07:56 PM
When the under seat (stock ballast) bag is filled, you have to put the rear seat into the upper position....rendering it unusable.

Workin' 4 Toys
08-22-2005, 07:58 PM
When the under seat (stock ballast) bag is filled, you have to put the rear seat into the upper position....rendering it unusable.
I have not had to do that. Maybe the bag in mine is smaller, or I don't fill it until its tight. The bag in mine is gray, not like the owners manual pictures. They are the color of the boat in the picture.

RobertT
08-22-2005, 08:07 PM
The bag in mine fills the entire section width wise, and is probably 20" in circumference. With the seat in the raised position, it almost touches it. I can fill it slightly with the rear seat in, but I worry about pushing the seat up and breaking something...

I am going to end up ditching the bag anyway and adding lead as soon as I can find a good way to get it.

Mag_Red
08-22-2005, 09:10 PM
Robert.......I found a place in canada that would sell lead bars at 60 cents/ lb US dollars. Only draw back was the shipping cost was more than the lead. :mad:

RobertT
08-22-2005, 09:14 PM
Thanks for thinkin bout me anyway:)

Workin' 4 Toys
08-22-2005, 09:30 PM
We have made lead filled weights using plumbings lead and melting it into containers. Something to think about. The containers were for the rear end of a tractor for more traction. The lead pucks were very cheap in comparison to lead bars we found. I don't recall the prices, but they had tons (literaly) of them at the plumbing supply house we went to for them.

RobertT
08-22-2005, 09:35 PM
those lead ingots would cost me about fifty cents a pound...I guess that's a pretty reasonable price. That's dealer cost, the plumbing supply houses usually charge about a buck fifty.

If you guys had to guess, what is a good amount of weight to start with? I was thinking five hundred pounds.

What containers did you use? I am pretty sure we have a huge lead melting pot laying around the shop somewhere I could use.