PDA

View Full Version : Trailer project with pics

ZachDaddy
05-07-2012, 10:29 PM
Hey all, thought i would update my trailer project. It was in need of new step material but wow that required a lot of work. Used my buddys trailer for the templates. Wax paper is very handy.

Does anyone have a good way to remove the adhesive? I tried acetone and no dice...however wetsanding with 2000 grit proved to be more effective but not entirely.

thatsmrmastercraft
05-08-2012, 11:03 AM
Try WD-40. It has worked for most any adhesive I have ever tried it on.

get_sum
05-08-2012, 11:16 AM
Goo-gone works well for most adhesives for me as well. It' is orange extract based so it smells good as well.

skijwr
05-08-2012, 11:28 PM
Zach, where did you buy the new black grippy pad material ? And how much $$ ? I am going to have to tear into mine soon. My empty trailer was hit in the fender while parked at local ramp... Thanks.

ZachDaddy
05-09-2012, 11:46 AM
Its the bulk sheet of Seadek, I paid $84 ish with shipping. For $112 they cut them out for you though. You can get the OEM black stuff from MC dealer for $60, I just didnt want to have to change it out again.

atlfootr
05-09-2012, 12:06 PM
Nice find Zach, and I like that tool box as well :)

thatsmrmastercraft
05-09-2012, 02:08 PM
Any luck with removing the adhesive residue?

ZachDaddy
05-10-2012, 10:10 PM
I'll be with the trailer this weekend and give a progress report... I'm going to use a heat gun and see if the addesive is easier to remove. I'm only concern that the glue lines/bumps will show through the new material.

News and film at eleven...

Stutsman230
05-10-2012, 10:28 PM
I used a heat gun and a putty knife to remove the adhesive. M/C dealer suggestion. Worked great! Be careful to not blister the fiberglass by applying too much heat.

ZachDaddy
05-13-2012, 05:30 PM
Ok I failed to take pictures...sorry ya'll.

Heat gun was not helpful but the use of minerial spirits was. I worked for hours scraping with a plastic puddy knife and got 2 pads installed. It slow but looks great.

I did have a great use for the heat gun though...I've had a can of color matched spray paint for almost a year and decided to use it since it was raining out. I masked of the few trailer nicks off and got after them. I used the heat gun to cure the paint and it turned out great. I'll get the pictures this week.