PDA

View Full Version : Catalytic Converters

BrianT
05-07-2012, 04:49 PM
I sold my 99 PS 205V and made a deal on a 09 X7. It has the MCX in it, I have ben told that MC started using catalytic converters in 07/08 as standard practice. The boat is still a few hours south of me so I cant check right now. Would I be correct to assume it will have the converters?

Thanks

93Prostar190
05-07-2012, 05:10 PM
It should have them for sure.

BrianT
05-07-2012, 05:28 PM
Great thanks for the feedback. I have 2 small kids and I really dont want to be gassing them out if they are sitting in the back seat.

CantRepeat
05-07-2012, 06:02 PM
Great thanks for the feedback. I have 2 small kids and I really dont want to be gassing them out if they are sitting in the back seat.

Cats aren't going to stop CO poisoning. It's a product of combustion and isn't burned off by cats.

BrianT
05-07-2012, 06:34 PM
Correct, I realize that. But my 99 would make your eyes burn a little and I was hoping the cats would stop a little of that.

CantRepeat
05-07-2012, 06:52 PM
Correct, I realize that. But my 99 would make your eyes burn a little and I was hoping the cats would stop a little of that.

Right on.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
05-07-2012, 09:23 PM
Sorry cantrepeat your wrong on this one...

A properly operating catalyst is designed to take the nasty byproducts of an engine which the 3 major pollutants are, co carbon monoxide, nox oxides of nitrogen, and hc hydrocarbons and converts these gasses to co2 carbon dioxide, n2 nitrogen, and h20 water, all of which are less toxic. So to the op yes your new cat equipped engine will have less of the gas smell than the other engine you had which was probably not running properly, running to rich, and the reason you had the gas smell in the first place...

MCVOLS
05-08-2012, 09:30 AM
I may be thinking wrong, but weren't the CATs on MCX, but not the RPT, which was the standard engine in 07/08?

willyt
05-08-2012, 09:36 AM
I'm pretty sure the LY6, 8.1, and rtp didn't get cats until 2009, but the op was asking about the MCX.

I just went from a non cat MCX to a cat MCX, the difference hangin out on the swim platform is night and day, I can't smell any gas whatsoever back there now whereas the old MCX definitely had a smell (not too bad though). I still turn the boat off if anyone is back there.

CantRepeat
05-08-2012, 09:41 AM
Sorry cantrepeat your wrong on this one...

A properly operating catalyst is designed to take the nasty byproducts of an engine which the 3 major pollutants are, co carbon monoxide, nox oxides of nitrogen, and hc hydrocarbons and converts these gasses to co2 carbon dioxide, n2 nitrogen, and h20 water, all of which are less toxic. So to the op yes your new cat equipped engine will have less of the gas smell than the other engine you had which was probably not running properly, running to rich, and the reason you had the gas smell in the first place...

Reduce, but not remove completely. I guess I should have said, not completely burned off.

Cats will not prevent CO poisoning.

JimN
05-08-2012, 10:10 AM

If your eyes burned, it may have had a problem that could have been eliminated.

BrianT
05-08-2012, 12:04 PM
I'm pretty sure the LY6, 8.1, and rtp didn't get cats until 2009, but the op was asking about the MCX.

I just went from a non cat MCX to a cat MCX, the difference hangin out on the swim platform is night and day, I can't smell any gas whatsoever back there now whereas the old MCX definitely had a smell (not too bad though). I still turn the boat off if anyone is back there.

Correct, my old boat was a RTP. Now it isn't that the exhaust was real bad, you could just smell it a little bit at slow speeds while cruising. I wanted to eliminate that a little and with a 10 year old newer boat I'm sure even without cats it would be better. I should have explained it a little better. I figured the new boat had cats to HELP out with the exhaust, not elminate.

CCAnderson
05-24-2012, 11:23 AM
has anyone noticed a difference in performance of cat vs non-cat engines? I really like the idea of cats but am a bit sceptical. I would like to hear peoples input on pro's and con's of catalytic convertors in boats. It is a well proven technology in the automotive world but how about in marine environments.

93Prostar190
05-24-2012, 11:28 AM
has anyone noticed a difference in performance of cat vs non-cat engines? I really like the idea of cats but am a bit sceptical. I would like to hear peoples input on pro's and con's of catalytic convertors in boats. It is a well proven technology in the automotive world but how about in marine environments.

I have been on an 2008 MCX with CATs and I like it ... I kinda miss the old smell of my slightly rich 351GT40 on my 93 boat in the mornings ..... but the CATS have been great.

No complaints so far ... I have no complaints about power output either ... but I have not removed the cats and then gone for a ski session.

Besides ... Cats keep mice out of the boat;)

willyt
05-24-2012, 11:34 AM

there's some debate about the merits of performance of the cats on the engines... on one side you definitely have some exhaust restriction
on the other hand, i believe the CAT'ed ECU's are able to run a more advanced engine management software due to the inclusion of the O2 sensors on the exhaust, I think i've noticed an improvement in fuel consumption when idling with my 07 star.

two different boats, but the MCX feels just as strong in my star as it did in my X2 (granted, star has alot more wetted surface area and weight than the 2).

CantRepeat
05-24-2012, 12:01 PM
there's some debate about the merits of performance of the cats on the engines... on one side you definitely have some exhaust restriction
on the other hand, i believe the CAT'ed ECU's are able to run a more advanced engine management software due to the inclusion of the O2 sensors on the exhaust, I think i've noticed an improvement in fuel consumption when idling with my 07 star.

two different boats, but the MCX feels just as strong in my star as it did in my X2 (granted, star has alot more wetted surface area and weight than the 2).

My 06 non CAT has O2 sensors. I think the difference here is on CAT motors they have 2 sensors per side. One pre CAT and one post CAT. I would assume that adds another table to the CAL file that would include actions taken on post CAT readings as well.