PDA

View Full Version : how to level the trailer for proper hitch hgt

dboat
05-07-2012, 02:21 PM
How do I find the proper level height for the tandem mc trailer for my hitch stinger. I would think a little lower in the back to let the water run out but should I line up the leaf spring brackets to eyeball level? I saw a post on here earlier but can't find it.

thatsmrmastercraft
05-07-2012, 03:08 PM
A tandem trailer should sit level with equal weight on each axle. If not, the axle with more weight will prematurely wear out tires. Set-up is to find the correct height for the trailer to sit level and buy the appropriate draw bar. Trailer bunker attitude should allow for the stern to sit a little lower to allow proper drainage.

Miss Rita
05-07-2012, 03:10 PM
The trailer should be level while towing, you shouldn't adjust trailer attitude for drainage, that's something to worry about while it's stored.

Leveling is easy, all it takes is a tape measure and a flat parking lot. The main frame rails of the trailer should be the same height front and back while hooked up to your vehicle. Raise/lower the hitch to make it right.

Kyle
05-07-2012, 03:10 PM
I would put the truck and trailer on level ground and use the trailer jack to level the tongue of the trailer. Then go get the right lift or drop stinger. You want the trailer level while pulling it. I used a level on the tongue of my trailer and got it to were it pulls perfectly level and then measured the trailer and hitch with a tape measure. You DO NOT want to pull it too high or too low. As far as draining the exhaust or whatever you are trying to accomplish by having it at an angle, well that is what hills are for.

Pulling a trailer not level will cause the ride to suffer and the trailer to not pull right.

petermegan
05-07-2012, 05:51 PM
I wouldn't have thought it was not TOO crucial to get it perfectly level. Rocker springs will equalize the load between the two axles.

dboat
05-07-2012, 07:46 PM
I must be thinking if the rocker springs, they are unbalanced right now, so I should make them level? Should I be concerned more about the rocker springs or the trailer frame being level? Thanks for your input so far.

Jerseydave
05-07-2012, 08:04 PM
Measure the distance from the ground to the front eye bolt of front spring.

Now measure from ground to rear eye bolt of rear spring.
Make those measurements the same by adjusting the tongue jack.....your trailer should be level now. Buy the correct ball mount to maintain this height and your good.

I would bet measuring ground-to-frame rail front and back will net the same result.

tph
05-07-2012, 08:32 PM
This helps too:

east tx skier
05-07-2012, 09:24 PM
I used a level on the tongue of my trailer and got it to were it pulls perfectly level and then measured the trailer and hitch with a tape measure.

This is what I did. It's somewhere around 18".

thatsmrmastercraft
05-08-2012, 09:56 AM
Mastercraft owners manual used to give a ball height spec. Not sure if that is the case now.

Miss Rita
05-08-2012, 10:12 AM
Don't forget that your tow vehicle may sag once you get get it full of people and gear. You might make the trailer perfectly level, and then find that the rear of your vehicle sags 2" once it's loaded. You should make adjustments so that the trailer is level once you're all loaded up and ready to go.

thatsmrmastercraft
05-08-2012, 10:21 AM
Don't forget that your tow vehicle may sag once you get get it full of people and gear. You might make the trailer perfectly level, and then find that the rear of your vehicle sags 2" once it's loaded. You should make adjustments so that the trailer is level once you're all loaded up and ready to go.

Great point. The adjustable draw bar tph posted is especially effective.

pmkkdx
05-08-2012, 10:44 AM
usually 18"-19" inches from ground to top of trailer ball as a general rule of thumb. (equates to 16"-17" top of ball mount/base of trailer ball). agree that there may be some sag from loading that needs to be taken into account.

CCAnderson
05-31-2012, 11:16 AM
When setting the proper hitch height the this should be done with traler and boat atached to the tow vehicle to account for the added weight to the vehicle.

Second point. Almost all stingers are too long. I have have modified several by sliding the stinger all the way in to the reciever, which may require cutting off some of the extra material, marking for new holes and re-drilling the hole for the pin. The closer the ball is to the rear axle of the tow vehichle can make a huge difference and bouce and sway even though it is only an few inches.

If you look at a semi going down the road the hitch point is between the rear axles. This is also practice is also used by those travel trailer guys. The serious ones with the big trailers have fifth wheel plates mounted in the truck box. Bumber hitch travel trailers usually require anti sway and load leveling bars to make the rig safe to drive.