PDA

View Full Version : Snap in bow cover

rodltg2
08-18-2005, 03:18 PM
if i keep my 197 id be interested in getting one of those snap in bow covers to keep dust and water out. where do people get these? make it themselves or is it an mc option.

jkski
08-18-2005, 03:32 PM
if i keep my 197 id be interested in getting one of those snap in bow covers to keep dust and water out. where do people get these? make it themselves or is it an mc option.

The dealer can order them direct from MC. They are a bit of a pain to install, because you have to drill through the deck, and make sure that you keep the cover nice and tight in the process of setting the snaps, otherwise it ends up looking sloppy since there is no pole in the center to take up any slack.. Best advice, have the dealer put it on for you.

Cary K.
08-18-2005, 03:41 PM
I haven't used mine in quite a while, but I am pretty sure my factory bow cover does have a pole and a center snap for it.

RobertT
08-18-2005, 03:41 PM
My dealer threw one in when I bought my boat. It rocks! Mine is black, and works perfectly.

I am pretty adventurous when it comes to doing things on my own, but I didn't want anything to do with it. Its a one hour install, so the install cost shouldn't be more than $75bucks. Do you really want to drill about 30 holes in your boat to save $75 bucks?

It is really worth it. I think we will use it even more in the cooler months, when it will stop 100% of the wind from coming under the windshield. Its also nice to keep the water and dirt out if you are not using your bow that often.

X2M
08-18-2005, 03:48 PM
For those of you that have bow covers do they really help with the wind in the cooler seasons? Late fall and spring? What are the drawbacks? We have thought about installing a bow cover too, but the drilling freaks me out a bit.

jkski
08-18-2005, 03:50 PM
They do help, but if you have a walk through cover, you will block all of the wind as well. I have a snap in cover that goes from my windshield to the floor, and it seems to block just as much wind as the bow cover does.

mcprostar197
08-18-2005, 03:52 PM
The snap cover looks unbelieveable on the boat. You can get them from your dealer, and they will install the snaps on the boat for you. Ours is red and looks so sweet on out boat. Ill try to get pics of it when we head up to WI in a week.

mcprostar197
08-18-2005, 03:53 PM
I don't think that it will keep water out when it comes over the bow. Less will get in, but it will almost defiinitely still get wet if you run over a set of waves wrong.

X2M
08-18-2005, 04:02 PM
They do help, but if you have a walk through cover, you will block all of the wind as well. I have a snap in cover that goes from my windshield to the floor, and it seems to block just as much wind as the bow cover does.
I have the snap on cover that goes on the walk-through. Snaps from the windshield to the floor. So that keeps out the same amount of wind as the bow cover? Do you have both? Or have you been on a boats with either?

I agree it will look nice. But I don't want to have it installed only for looks. Cutting down on the wind during the cooler months is what I am looking for. :)

AirJunky
08-18-2005, 04:07 PM
The bow cover definitely looks sweet & helps keep the water out. But if you sub the bow hard enough, the water just goes over the cover & then over the windshield!
I have both the walk thru cover & the bow cover & get about the same wind protection from either one. But frankly I like the tinted plexiglass walk thru cover made by 'bu a lot better.
The downfall of the bow cover is the holes drilled for the snaps. Drilling them is tough to overcome, but they cause problems years down the road. Both my Mastercrafts have had extensive cracking from the snaps after about 10 yrs.

Cary K.
08-18-2005, 04:11 PM
I have both and honestly really only use the walk thrucover/windscreen. The bow cover wouldn't help with the wind any more than this would, IMO. I like my bow cover because of the looks though; it and my bimini are red and really sets off the red in my graphic against the black stripe. And red guide pads on the trailer too.

X2M
08-18-2005, 04:15 PM
Thanks for the info guys. :) I think we will stick with what we have.

I have gel coat cracks already and I don't think I could take it if we got more in the future from something we did just to make the boat look cool.

Rod - Sorry for taking over your thread. :o

jkski
08-19-2005, 08:51 AM
Thanks for the info guys. :) I think we will stick with what we have.

I have gel coat cracks already and I don't think I could take it if we got more in the future from something we did just to make the boat look cool.

Rod - Sorry for taking over your thread. :o

The trick to avoiding the cracks when drilling your gel coat, is to have a sharp drill bit, then after the hole is drilled, take a pointed grinding wheel and hit the hole with that (similar to a countersink bit). What the grinding wheel does, is smooth down the fiberglass around the hole, so that the screw never actually touches the top coat. A lot of cracks come from the screw touching the top coat, then they spread over time.

sizzler
08-19-2005, 09:00 AM
the dealer installed mine and it works really well with the black bimini...i really love the look of it