PDA

View Full Version : Rattle in LTR

LaRue
05-07-2012, 12:04 PM
Have 2000 Maristar with LTR 330 hp engine. when accelerating there is a rattle between 1000 -1200 rpm. i suspect from transmission. No rattle during idle or once i go past 1200 rpm's. Anything i should be checking?

swatguy
05-07-2012, 12:25 PM
The tranny "rattles" in the area between neutral and getting up to 5-10 mph. It's notorious for that tranny. Running oil instead of trans fluid has been known to quiet it down a bit.

Also if the rattle has gotten progressively worse could be your damper plate. They are also known in that year for developing issues and getting small cracks. While a simple part to get not so simple to install. So I just keep waitng for mine to "give"

Jeff d
05-07-2012, 12:27 PM
There was an indmar TSB on here in a PDF instructing dealers to switch the trans from ATF to 15w40 motor oil when customers complained of this on many of the hurth v-drives. Future year models came with 15w40 as the factory fill. Search and you should find it. I'm posting from my phone so it would be difficult for me to locate.

russlars
05-07-2012, 12:28 PM
Have you checked your fluid level carefully? Make sure that you check the level on the stick without screwing it in. My transmission slipped when it was only just slightly low on fluid.

LaRue
05-07-2012, 05:11 PM
thanks for the replies and the reminder. i do recall the suggestion to change oil.

rem_pss308
05-10-2012, 03:07 PM
Mine had a rattle too but it was the idler pulley ( worn out ) . I replaced it and the noise went away.

LaRue
06-15-2012, 09:55 PM
wondering if i need to redo....

today i changed out transmission fluid on LTR with Hurth V-Drive Transmission. took out regular transmission fluid and replaced with 15W40 to try and take away rattle at low rpms. i took out 3 liters and filled according to dipstick.

Was reading owners manual tonight and learned this engine holds 4.4 Quarts (4.16 L).

Question...since it appears i have 15w40 mixed with transmission fluid, should i redo procedure?

edit...found another manual and it says a 1:5:1 transmission on the LTR holds 2 1/2 to 3 quarts. i am assuming i have this transmission and not a 1:1??

any help is appreciated as i continue to learn about this girl...

Redstorm
06-17-2012, 02:36 AM
I just replaced mine for the same reAson! Remove the trani filter and pump the oil out through the hole. Make sure u get the tube to the bottom of the case. Lot easier than goin through the dipstick. You should be able to get 98 perc out. Put it in the water yesterday and still rattled.....checked the level and was low. Added fluid and reduced noise considerably. It seems to have come back as the day went on but not as bad. Now for some reason engine runs slightly rough at idle. Let us know how it turns out.