PDA

View Full Version : best battery for my x30 with huge system?

x30murray
05-07-2012, 12:12 AM
So its time my bats are craping out I need to buy four new ones! Any ideas I have looked at the optima group d31 marine battery but was wondering if there is a cheaper alternative that is just as good or if there is a better one for around the same price range?($220) I am going to buy four so I just want to make sure. I have 5 amps now so Im drawing lots of power! Any ideas?

Brian B
05-07-2012, 02:18 AM
So its time my bats are craping out I need to buy four new ones! Any ideas I have looked at the optima group d31 marine battery but was wondering if there is a cheaper alternative that is just as good or if there is a better one for around the same price range?($220) I am going to buy four so I just want to make sure. I have 5 amps now so Im drawing lots of power! Any ideas?

I dont have any solid battery info for you, but I would like to take a look at this system of yours :)

bturner2
05-07-2012, 07:55 AM
I have Optimas which have worked well for me but I've heard a lot of good reviews about Deka. They're supposed to be made in the US and have a complete line of batteries ranging from wet cell to extreme solutions in AGM. Just remember getting the battery is just the beginning of a high end solution. Having the correct alternator and chargers are going to be required if you want to keep both the charging systems and batteries alive and well.

http://www.dekabatteries.com/default.aspx?pageid=468

Jeff d
05-07-2012, 08:30 AM
Supposedly the best option for long runtime is pairs of 6 volt golf cart batteries in series. They're inexpensive and something about the physics of a 6 volt battery lends itself to higher amp hour applications.

NatesGr8
05-07-2012, 09:28 AM
Used a few of these (http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Duralast-12-Volts-1000-CA-marine-dual-purpose-battery/_/N-25ub?itemIdentifier=107676&_requestid=438041) on my old boat from autozone. Larger footprint than a standard battery but never had an issue. Sold the boat with the batteries. When the optimas crap out on my current boat i'll be replacing with these (http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Duralast-12-Volts-1000-CA-marine-dual-purpose-battery/_/N-25ub?itemIdentifier=107676&_requestid=438041).

Deltaxstar
05-07-2012, 06:53 PM
My interstates have been great got four of em

EarmarkMarine
05-07-2012, 09:27 PM
We have had good performance with the Optimas but if I was going to go with a group 31 AGM then it would have to be a Deka.
In a standard wet 12 volt battery the Interstate SRM-29 is a great value. Virtually the same size as a group 31.
For the best in amp/hour value you can go with 6 volt golf cart batteries. Taller profile. Heavier (often 80 lbs each) and a little harder to manage.
In any case stay strictly with deep cycle batteries.
Voltage doubles as you series but the amp/hours remain constant. Voltage remains constant when you parallel but amp/hours double.
You can't always trust the consistency in ratings between different battery brands but you can generally trust the correlation between more weight, more lead and more amp/hours.
For example, if you have four golf cart batteries totaling 500 amp/hours plus a starting battery you are going to want a smart AC multi-stage triple-bank 50 to 60 amp shore charger. Lighter amperage if you discharge shallower and a larger capacity if you often discharge a little deeper.
You would like to have enough battery reserves with consumer grade batteries that you don't regularly discharge below half power (12 volts).
If you are going to have over 250 amp/hours of stereo batteries deeply discharged after a long period of play at rest then you should have a plan to protect the alternator from being suddenly introduced to such a large load or upgrade to a Balmar 150 amp alternator. You will automatically become more dependent on AC shore charging.

David
Earmark Marine