PDA

View Full Version : X1 Ballast tanks seem to be leaking off when in use?

Skimberly07
05-07-2012, 12:55 AM
I just bought an 07 X1 and after filling my two hard tanks I've noticed that the water is slowing emptying out as the boat is in use. I filled the tanks up untill water came out the overflow and then it slowly started losing water as I used the boat. Has anyone ever had this problem or know how to fix it? I havent noticed any water in the storage compartments so I dont think they're leaking on the inside. Any help would be appreciated.

Jeff d
05-07-2012, 09:24 AM
Get the green impellers for your ballast pumps. You probably have the yellow ones.

From what I've been able to gather the earlier boats with impeller ballast pumps had black ones. These were the hardest durometer and were burning up fast if run dry for any length of time. So, they came out with softer yellow ones. These were too soft and can allow water to push back through the pump when they sit idle. The latest revision is the green impeller which is somewhere in between the black and yellow which is hard enough to prevent the backflow of water but soft enough to minimize the chance of burning up with short periods of dry running.

swatguy
05-07-2012, 10:24 AM
Precisely what Jeff d said. Sounds like worn impellar as water is leaking out anywhere esle, just back through pump line. Easy way to check. Fill up your tanks put it in trailer and see if water comes out from the thru hull .

bobx1
05-07-2012, 12:12 PM
I experienced this with my 07 X1 and Jeff D is correct. For a temporary fix, you can shut the valve off on the intake after the tanks are full and this will keep the tanks full. IMPORTANT - Make sure you shut the right valve off and not the one to your cooling system.

jab
05-07-2012, 01:40 PM
There is a check valve inline with the shut off valve that they are talking about, the check valve forces the tanks to empty out the side of the boat instead of the intake, it sounds like that is stuck open. On my 06 it is on the intake hose right next to the block that all the ballast and drain hoses come out of.

Jeff d
05-07-2012, 01:54 PM
There is a check valve inline with the shut off valve that they are talking about, the check valve forces the tanks to empty out the side of the boat instead of the intake, it sounds like that is stuck open. On my 06 it is on the intake hose right next to the block that all the ballast and drain hoses come out of.

They eliminated that on '07+ models and instead put in the timer/ai stuff.