PDA

View Full Version : Mcx overheated!

51timber
05-06-2012, 11:28 PM
2003 x30 200 hrs. So I took the boat out after the mechanic checked and ran my engine for the fuel pump pressure check. Boat ran fine at first. Then after running it for about 20 min I slowed down and the temp sky rocketed. Engine light came on it started running rough. I killed the engine. Starting it for 20 seconds two times Within a minute since I was in a no wake zone and drifting toward other boats. After letting it cool down I realized the hose adapter that runs off of the raw water intake was in the open position. (mechanic) It seems that the engine running at higher rpm's produced enough suction to cool the risers. When I went into the no wake zone the suction dropped thus the cooling of the risers dropped as well. I think the temp hit about 220 degrees. When the alarm went ff i found the valve issue. After I closed the valve the temp returned to the normal 140 to 170 range. I didnt see any crcaks in the block. The only water I noticed was water leaking from the right riser seal as small trickle at about 4500 rpm. I can fix that After I closed the valve it ran fine. I ran it for about a half hour. All seemed well. Oil is still clear. Is it possible I dodged a bullet? Or does the above scenerio always mean big trouble?

mikeg205
05-06-2012, 11:49 PM
Yikes, that would scare the heck out of me....leave this one to the experts here...

willyt
05-06-2012, 11:57 PM
sounds like its fine. I would change the oil for good measure, but if it runs fine i think you're good to go.

93ProStar205
05-06-2012, 11:58 PM
I'd head back to the mechanic and give him the chance to make it right. Bare minimum, he owes you an inspection and new impeller.

g-mantrix
05-06-2012, 11:58 PM
similar situation happened to my MXC engine at the beginning of our season. Mechanic left the hose intake in the open position, except I idled to the pontoon area and left engine running in idle/neutral, 5 mins later engine alarm sounds. Shut it down, limped back to ramp. The engine management system is I believe bulletproof, hence alarms sounding and will go into limp mode. I would say you avoided any damage to the engine. Your only issue will be to get rid of the ongoing annoying alarm beeps that will annoy you until you delete it. This can be done by a laptop (software needed), or engine on/off 3 times, I think you can short cut this by disconnecting power from battery.
Keep an eye out on your temps just until you are satisfied, but I wouldnt worry, mine went on for the whole season without an issue...have fun

Jerseydave
05-07-2012, 12:06 AM
So the mechanic left the valve open and caused your engine to overheat as a result of the open valve....right? If so, sounds like they are responsible for any damage to the engine caused by the overheating including the leak you're speaking about.

Honestly, I don't think the engine itself would suffer any damage at 220 degrees since it has cast iron heads. Just watch for any smoking or oil consumption in the future but you should be ok. You may want to replace your thermostat just as a precaution and change your oil.

51timber
05-07-2012, 09:56 PM
Thanks for the advice. I'll contact the dealer tomorrow. Give them a heads up as to what happened.
Like i said it ran good afterwards.

Thanks again.