PDA

View Full Version : A few questions on new Wetsounds Rev 8 install

Nutter281
05-06-2012, 08:08 PM
On Friday, I picked up my brand new Wetsounds Rev 8 speakers from Hydrotunes (awesome service btw)! :D

I'm pretty excited, got my Syn 4 wired up yesterday, then pulled the boat out today to fold-up the tower (2003 X2 with standard Zero Flex) and I have two lingering questions before I finish installing:

1. The TC3-Fixed clamps that came with the speakers - appear to be great quality, but don't have any rubber whatsoever (just metal on metal). Is my package missing something or is that how Wetsounds intended for this clip to function?

2. It's unclear to me (maybe obvious to others), how should the wire be routed out of the clamp? Should it be folded over and compressed between the rubber grommet and the tower (as the angle in the picture below seems to imply) or do you drill the hole in the tower right where the wire comes through the clamp?

Thanks,
Austin

JRW160
05-06-2012, 09:47 PM
You are supposed to drill the hole in the tower where the wire comes out. My clamps didn't come with any rubber, but I put some 1/4" rubber between the clamps and the tower.

Nutter281
05-06-2012, 10:22 PM
Sounds good - the more I thought about it, didn't make since to crush the wire between the clamp and the tower, not sure how I derailed on that one.

Definitely not opposed to adding some rubber to the clamps, just thought I would check to understand the original design 'intent'. For $1k/pair, the installation hardware should stand on its own.

Austin

JRW160
05-06-2012, 10:30 PM
It might stand on its own. I was worried the stainless steel clamps would scratch my aluminum tower, so I put some rubber in between.

BrooksfamX2
05-06-2012, 10:42 PM
The fun part is snaking the wire through the tower tubes......

Deltaxstar
05-07-2012, 12:06 AM
The fun part is snaking the wire through the tower tubes......

That's easy

Cincylaunch
05-14-2012, 10:17 AM
For my install of REV 8s I was able to pull the wire out of the clamp and push it back down through the cone. On the back of the cone is a filler cap with two screws that you can put an XLR connector on to pretty it up. I didn't care enough about the no reveal look to drill holes in my tower. I'll post some pictures soon.

willyt
05-14-2012, 11:00 AM
Dave,
Just thought about your install and those housing have to be airtight as the hlcd's aren't designed to have an infinitate baffle (ie the 'cone' must be sealed).

Cincylaunch
05-14-2012, 04:22 PM
@willyt: I know, the setup you saw last weekend is not my permanent solution.

1. The TC3-Fixed clamps that came with the speakers - appear to be great quality, but don't have any rubber whatsoever (just metal on metal). Is my package missing something or is that how Wetsounds intended for this clip to function?

This has been a popular complaint on the TC3s and rumor has it that WetSounds is coming out with a padding kit to prevent the metal on metal problem in Q3 of this year. (unofficially of course)

2. It's unclear to me (maybe obvious to others), how should the wire be routed out of the clamp? Should it be folded over and compressed between the rubber grommet and the tower (as the angle in the picture below seems to imply) or do you drill the hole in the tower right where the wire comes through the clamp?

WetSounds actually has a kit for this. Check out the ADP Retro Kit found at http://www.wetsounds.com/pages/products/accessories.html