PDA

View Full Version : What to use to clean dirty upholstry?

Rossterman
05-06-2012, 03:39 PM
Just bought a used mastercraft (2000) and carpets and upholstry is a little dirty. No rips or tears and doesn't feel brittle or sun damaged. What should i clean with and what should i use to treat and protect the finish going forward?

Thanks!

mikeg205
05-06-2012, 03:44 PM
303 to clean and protect vinyl...if it's real dirty very mild soap... on the carpet I use Resolve for major stains...

Rossterman
05-07-2012, 12:06 AM
So stopped by west marine today. Got the 303 fabric/vinyl cleaner and the aerospace protectant. Are these the right ones?

Thanks
Ross

mikeg205
05-07-2012, 12:10 AM
Yup...works great....

Rossterman
05-10-2012, 01:27 AM
Well, gave a run at cleaning it today. Looked pretty clean before i started but was amazed how much dirt came off the upholstry when i cleaned with 303. Carpet was pretty bad- dirty and didnt seem to have any loft left in it. Used dishwashing detergent and loosened up the knap with a sharp nozzle sprayin directly in the carpet. Amazed how much better it looks now!

So, last question is what is the best way to clean the cover? It's really dirty and don't want to put it back on without cleaning it first. Lay out on the lawn and spray down? Has anyone cleaned one in an extra large laundrymat machine? Kinda looks too big to fit...

Thanks!
Ross

JRW160
05-10-2012, 03:06 AM
The 303 aerospace protectant is great, but their vinyl cleaner is terrible. Totally awesome is the best vinyl cleaner I've used and it's less than $2 a bottle. Use it with a soft bristle brush. I was amazed at how much cleaner my vinyl was afterwards.

I cleaned my cover in a 7 load washer at the laundromat and laid it over the fence to dry.

jamisonsbrodie
05-10-2012, 11:16 AM
For small tough stains, I use Magic Eraser. You can find it in the household cleaning section at the grocery store. Works awesome!

Montemx
05-10-2012, 11:37 AM
I've also had luck with Amazing Roll Off. Got it off Amazon. Tested it on some very badly neglected Jet Ski's first and I was pretty shocked.

Lakeside09
05-10-2012, 12:12 PM
Do you mix water with the totally awesome?

JRW160
05-11-2012, 10:57 PM
I just use totally awesome straight up.

Magic eraser works great, but it essentially just removes the top layer of vinyl. You might as well use sandpaper.

swatguy
05-12-2012, 02:30 AM
Another vote for totally awesome. If its really grimey use it straight up, otherwise dilute per the instructions.

Just make sure to use a good protectant/conditioner afterwards like I prefer Babe's Seat Saver, but lots of people love 303 Aerospace Protectant as well.

Watch the overspray with the straight up non diluted stuff. IT will leave spots and streaks on you gelcoat if you don't wipe it down with some water.

Another great vinyl cleaner in Malco, just hard to come by in some areas, Totally Awesome is similar enough for me and readily available at my Dollar Store and much cheaper

Ryrobinson
05-29-2012, 11:11 PM
I was at West Marine today and the salesman there told me to use a 10% Amonia/water mix to take out some mildew stains and kill the bacteria.

Anyone have any experience with using this?

ttu
06-05-2012, 05:47 PM
went by the dollar store and looked for totally awesome. which one are you using to clean the vinyl?

thanks.

ZachDaddy
06-05-2012, 07:16 PM
Its yellow fluid in a clear plastic bottle with red writting on label. I'm a big fan of TA because it is the bee's knee's for cleaning annything. Be sure a rinse well what your cleaning with fresh water. Not sure what the sun does to the vinyl with lingering residue. It is a touch hard on the stitching in that I have seen a few broken strans...nothing to be really worried about. I'm just OCD about, well, everything.

I have become very big on Boat Bling's Vinyl Sauce and Condition Sauce...It works extremely well and what I use daily for the interior cleaning. My 2 cents.

swatguy
06-05-2012, 10:04 PM
YUp Yellow colored cleaner with red writing on the bottle.

JRW160
06-06-2012, 09:54 AM
I found it at walmart in large bottles for about $2 last year. Supposedly they don't carry it any more, but I think you can still find it at dollar general or the dollar store in smaller bottles for $1

lanep82
06-06-2012, 10:19 AM
BABE's........all the way for the interior.

Vinegar/water wipedown for the outside. Simple and clean.

Sodar
06-06-2012, 10:23 AM
Just got my order of Malco last night. I cannot believe how well it works. I did one cushion last night and was very impressed with how well it cleaned.

AZX9
06-07-2012, 02:26 AM
Krud Kutter and a nylon bristle brush. VERY carefully using a pressure washer to rinse after scrubbing tackles a really dirty job. Pressure washing the carpet after applying cleaner is great also.