PDA

View Full Version : Difference between motors?

BARE5
05-06-2012, 02:01 PM
Checking the hull ID number and says I have a 6.0 Indmar in my 1995 Prostar 190. I have an "A", whwere it should be a U. Non LT1 motor.With that said, what is the difference between 5.7 and 6.0? Is it all internal? Thanks

dmminfla
05-06-2012, 02:17 PM
Take a picture it's most likley is the 350 5.7l TBI I did not know if a 6.0 was an option.

mikeg205
05-06-2012, 02:52 PM
Unless it was a custom order its a 5.7 TBI... otherwise a LT1 does it look like this one?

BARE5
05-06-2012, 03:03 PM
Yes, looks like the picture, but the hull number says its a 6.0

JimN
05-06-2012, 03:05 PM
Checking the hull ID number and says I have a 6.0 Indmar in my 1995 Prostar 190. I have an "A", whwere it should be a U. Non LT1 motor.With that said, what is the difference between 5.7 and 6.0? Is it all internal? Thanks

I'm not even sure the 6.0 was available in cars/trucks and it definitely didn't exist in the marine market. The 5.7 is cast iron and the new generation is aluminum, uses captured O-rings instead of many of the gaskets and is a completely different engine.

Are you sure it doesn't show 'MBCUSUA_____'?

mikeg205
05-06-2012, 03:10 PM
My HIN# also has a U in position 4 and I had a 5.7 275HP TBI.

BrooksfamX2
05-06-2012, 03:16 PM
When buying a used boat, how could you tell if the motor has been replaced??

mikeg205
05-06-2012, 03:22 PM
My guess would be contact MC with the Hull ID and ask for the engine sn# that was built with the boat...just guessing though - same with the trans. But that would not indicate if the motor was ever rebuilt....

JimN
05-06-2012, 04:09 PM
When buying a used boat, how could you tell if the motor has been replaced??

As posted previously, the easy way is to call-e-mail MC- they'll have the serial number for the original engine/transmission used on each boat. They'll have service records if recall or warranty work was performed, too. If a dealer or an owner replaced the engine out of warranty, that wouldn't be available unless you buy it from that owner or the dealer/shop that did the work. If I was buying a used boat, I would ask for all service records. A boat owner who doesn't keep the major docs isn't what I would call 'thorough'. If I was expecting a boat to need a lot of work, I wouldn't worry about it. If I was new to this kind of boat or boating in general, I would pay for a complete marine survey so I would have a good baseline for its condition and the engine's health.

Also, if the boat is from pre-2001, it COULDN'T have had a 5.3, 6.0, 8.1 or any other of the newer generation engines because they weren't offered then. The MCX came out in 2001 (IIRC, it was for the 2002 model year) and the newer generation was what we trained for in Oct of 2000. Other than that, doing a search for the soecific model and year or going to the Indmar site to look at their engine history for when models were used/available.

BARE5
05-06-2012, 05:43 PM
I had contacted Indmar when I bought the boat with the hull ID number. They did experiment with a 6.0 a couple of years after 1994. A limited number run was produced. Haven't given them the engine number yet. A survey was done on the boat when purchased , however motor serial number was not found immediately. I found it later, so a call to Mastercraft and Indmar is coming. Thanks

mikeg205
05-06-2012, 05:45 PM
Hey let us know what you find...

JimN
05-06-2012, 08:50 PM
I had contacted Indmar when I bought the boat with the hull ID number. They did experiment with a 6.0 a couple of years after 1994. A limited number run was produced. Haven't given them the engine number yet. A survey was done on the boat when purchased , however motor serial number was not found immediately. I found it later, so a call to Mastercraft and Indmar is coming. Thanks

Indmar may have worked with them but MC didn't use them. There's no way they would send a boat to market with a motor that none of their dealer's mechanics knew anything about. If they made a few boats, I would have to think those stayed close to Vonore or Corona, CA.

CantRepeat
05-06-2012, 08:54 PM
Indmar may have worked with them but MC didn't use them. There's no way they would send a boat to market with a motor that none of their dealer's mechanics knew anything about. If they made a few boats, I would have to think those stayed close to Vonore or Corona, CA.

It's really interesting to think about though!

Some test program and one of the test boats slips out the door. IT would be very rare for sure. Makes me think of things like ZL1 Corvettes.

JimN
05-06-2012, 10:21 PM

Some test program and one of the test boats slips out the door. IT would be very rare for sure. Makes me think of things like ZL1 Corvettes.

I don't know about "slips out the door". They didn't make more than a few thousand boats/year and if they put a 6.0l in any, everyone at MC would have known about it. I think Alan would have heard about it too, since he did a lot of the calibrations & testing for MC at the time. He was also the one who did the MC service training and I think he would have mentioned it when we were there.

I wonder if it was "government work".

BrooksfamX2
05-06-2012, 10:27 PM
Thanks JimN.

I bought a used boat, but wonder if the motor has been replaced....would like to know for sure...

Dont know the history of the boat. The hour meter says 126hrs but the computer says 97hrs.

JimN
05-07-2012, 12:44 AM
Thanks JimN.

I bought a used boat, but wonder if the motor has been replaced....would like to know for sure...

Dont know the history of the boat. The hour meter says 126hrs but the computer says 97hrs.

What year of boat? If it had the key on/engine off, the hour meter can advance. The ECM will only show the hours of engine run time.

BrooksfamX2
05-07-2012, 12:53 AM
Thanks, I wondered about that........

TRBenj
05-07-2012, 10:22 AM
1999 was the first year the 6.0L was offered in GM trucks. I do not believe it was offered for the marine market until 2003.

Im guessing that youre reading the HIN incorrectly.

DemolitionMan
05-07-2012, 11:03 AM

A friend of mine purchased a 93 ZR1 in 1997 that had never been title. It would run 11.70's out of the box. We later found out that it was the car that motor trend used to test against a porsche 911. So strange things do happen with test models.