PDA

View Full Version : Observer's Seat Strut Arm Replacement 1993 ProStar

SkiDaddy
05-06-2012, 11:08 AM
Just another point of reference for anyone needing to replace their worn out (weak) observers seat back strut arm. I found this reference number in another thread:

NAPA #819-5563

This part works perfect on a '93 190.

I tried to get a cross referenced part from Advanced Auto Parts, but they were worthless. I had to go direct to NAPA and they had the part. $31.

60 seconds to replace, good as new now.

FYI to remove/replace: Take a small flat blade screwdriver and gently pry the roundish clip (that secures the strut arm to the boat connection points...one at each end) out about 1/8". That will allow the arm to release from the boat. It doesn't take much pressure, so just take it easy. Do the same to attach the new arm to the boat.

Good luck!

19_Skier
05-06-2012, 04:44 PM
Do they have enough pressure to hold the seat up?

SkiDaddy
05-07-2012, 08:39 AM
More than enough...that's why it is there!!!

19_Skier
05-07-2012, 09:04 AM
More than enough...that's why it is there!!!

That's what I thought but I ask because the two on my observer seat were not holding it. So, I went and purchased 2 new ones with a bit more pressure (went from 30 to 35 psi) and they still didn't hold the seat up!

I see the ones you purchased are 30 psi so I'm completely puzzled.

SkiDaddy
05-08-2012, 07:52 AM
Hmmm, now on my seat, there is just a single strut. You mention that you have two?

The seat back isn't very heavy at all on my 190 and with the new strut, the strut will actually push the seat back to the fully raised position by itself once you have it about halfway open.....

Sorry I can't help with your situation......

CantRepeat
05-08-2012, 07:55 AM
That's what I thought but I ask because the two on my observer seat were not holding it. So, I went and purchased 2 new ones with a bit more pressure (went from 30 to 35 psi) and they still didn't hold the seat up!

I see the ones you purchased are 30 psi so I'm completely puzzled.

Get 40 psi.

I had the same issue on my 06. I replaced the 30s with 30s thinking they were just wore out, but that was not the case. The new ones did no better at holding the seat up.

I pick up a set of 40 psi gas springs (which what they technically call them) and it work great.

19_Skier
05-08-2012, 08:08 AM
Get 40 psi.

I had the same issue on my 06. I replaced the 30s with 30s thinking they were just wore out, but that was not the case. The new ones did no better at holding the seat up.

I pick up a set of 40 psi gas springs (which what they technically call them) and it work great.

Thanks Cant, when the 35's didn't work I had intended to try either 40 or 45, guess I'll be making a trip to napa.