PDA

View Full Version : Transom tow hook 83 SS? Advice wanted

Runnit
05-06-2012, 07:25 AM
Per popular request from by family, as we spend a lot of time towing the little kids around the lake in tubes and seating is so limited in our 83SS. They want me to install a transom tow line hook so that spectators can ride along and sit in the back seat without ropes making that seating not available when we use the standard pylon. If I install one do they come with a plate to put on the inside for strength? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Jim@BAWS
05-06-2012, 09:22 AM
Per popular request from by family, as we spend a lot of time towing the little kids around the lake in tubes and seating is so limited in our 83SS. They want me to install a transom tow line hook so that spectators can ride along and sit in the back seat without ropes making that seating not available when we use the standard pylon. If I install one do they come with a plate to put on the inside for strength? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Do they come with a plate...well I guess that all depends on which one you get.

Make sure you purchase one with a backing plate or make one. Measure 3 or times before you drill. Mount as high as you can under the rub rail. You will probably need to remove the gas tank first. Make sure you clean that area back there when the tank is removed.

Jim@BAWS

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
05-06-2012, 09:22 PM
http://www.watercraftwerks.com/p1722/Transom-Mount-Ski-Tow-Hook/product_info.html

BrooksfamX2
05-06-2012, 09:39 PM
http://www.watercraftwerks.com/p1722/Transom-Mount-Ski-Tow-Hook/product_info.html

That is a good tow hook, but I would add about a 1/4"x4"x6" aluminum baking plate to that.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
05-06-2012, 09:54 PM
Do the early ss have rear lifting eyes? I don't always pull a tube but when I do I use the rear lifting eyes with one of those tube harnesses that connect to both of the rear lifting eyes, and have not used the rear ski tow point for the tube.

Wired_Right
05-06-2012, 10:08 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Kwik-Tek-Harness-Centering-Pulley/dp/B000FECD2Y/ref=pd_bxgy_sg_img_b

tph
05-06-2012, 11:21 PM
Do they come with a plate...well I guess that all depends on which one you get.

Make sure you purchase one with a backing plate or make one. Measure 3 or times before you drill. Mount as high as you can under the rub rail. You will probably need to remove the gas tank first. Make sure you clean that area back there when the tank is removed.

Jim@BAWS
I put one on my '83. I didn't remove the tank, but, if i remember correctly, the best mounting location puts you inside the rear vent housing. I removed the flexible hoses on the housing and worked through those openings. It can be done.

Runnit
05-07-2012, 09:40 AM
Do the early ss have rear lifting eyes? I don't always pull a tube but when I do I use the rear lifting eyes with one of those tube harnesses that connect to both of the rear lifting eyes, and have not used the rear ski tow point for the tube.

yes mine does, I might just do that for this year.

Thanks

BrooksfamX2
05-07-2012, 11:44 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Kwik-Tek-Harness-Centering-Pulley/dp/B000FECD2Y/ref=pd_bxgy_sg_img_b

Yep, used the ski harness on the old outboard boats........... works good.

wishart
05-07-2012, 07:48 PM
I just installed a rear tow hook on my 82 s&s today. Picked up the hook at West Marine (don't think it was very expensive). it did not have a metal backing...just stainless fender washers. I made a backing that measured about 2"x4" drilled a couple 3/8" holes, and it worked fine.

Was able to access the back by removing the plastic vent grille from the back of the boat...no need to remove gas tank.

wishart
05-08-2012, 07:47 PM
Here is a couple of pictures of the tow hook I installed.

thatsmrmastercraft
05-08-2012, 11:38 PM

What size backer plate did you use? Been considering adding this to my boat but am leaning towards a grab handle with a tow attachment incorporated into it.

Wired_Right
05-08-2012, 11:45 PM
What size backer plate did you use? Been considering adding this to my boat but am leaning towards a grab handle with a tow attachment incorporated into it.

I like that idea of a handle/tow attachment. Where have you seen one?

Bill

thatsmrmastercraft
05-08-2012, 11:53 PM
I like that idea of a handle/tow attachment. Where have you seen one?

Bill

Pretty sure I have seen this on some of the newer Mastercrafts.

tph
05-09-2012, 12:34 AM

I installed the same fitting in the same location. Works great!

wishart
05-09-2012, 08:40 PM

For the backing plate I used 3/16" thick material cut in a rectangle 2"x5". Drilled a couple 3/8" holes in it the same width of the bolts on the tow hook.

Easy fabrication and install project.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
05-09-2012, 09:42 PM
Pretty sure I have seen this on some of the newer Mastercrafts.

My 89 has an intergrated tow point/grab handle, my google search came up empty but fleabay has newer x series handle with tow point

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem;PdsSession=3465e2061370a47a12546d54fffb1b 4e?itemId=350263549664&index=0&nav=SEARCH&nid=14805878793