PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Manifold Plug

skiboyny
05-05-2012, 08:20 PM
I'm in need of a new plug for my Exhaust manifold. The bottom is rotted out half of the plug is missing and it doesn't quite seal. Would I be able to get it at Plumbing supply? If not where can I get a couple? Thanks for the help.

Lumbergh
05-05-2012, 08:48 PM
3/4 normal pipe thread brass plug (3/4 NPT)

Any Home Depot / Lowes should have them.

1/4 NPT for the block drains...

east tx skier
05-05-2012, 09:37 PM
That's correct. Put a little teflon tape on the threads and they'll always come out easily.

skiboyny
05-05-2012, 10:00 PM
That's correct. Put a little teflon tape on the threads and they'll always come out easily.
Ok guys I thought that 3/4 npt would do it will use teflon tape as well. Thanks

skiboyny
05-05-2012, 10:02 PM

Thanks guys. I thought the 3/4 brass npt would do it just wanted to be sure. Will use the teflon tape as well.

barefoot
05-06-2012, 01:04 PM
I just picked up some 3/4 brass fittings from Ace Hardware for cheap.

And get brass...if you happen to cross thread while putting it in, you'll ruin the fitting, not the threads on the block.

Cloaked
05-06-2012, 02:12 PM
Thanks guys. I thought the 3/4 brass npt would do it just wanted to be sure. Will use the teflon tape as well.
I have stated this several times but for the record, install the plug(s) into the threaded connection only to the point of getting the thread to bite. Use the tape and also never-seize. Here's the point... crank the engine and tighten the plug(s) ONLY to the point of no water leaking. Don't try and tighten them snug before cranking and beyond what is required. I have seen those threads in the manifold strip at the extra turn for a snug fit (unnecssarily). A 1/2 inch ratchet drive will do the trick.

Just a word of caution from experience. Same thing with the block drain plugs.

JimN
05-06-2012, 03:11 PM
I just picked up some 3/4 brass fittings from Ace Hardware for cheap.

And get brass...if you happen to cross thread while putting it in, you'll ruin the fitting, not the threads on the block.

And it can't rust into the cast iron manifold because dissimilar metals won't join.