PDA

View Full Version : Overflow when filling gas tank

bcd
05-05-2012, 10:05 AM
I'm wondering if anyone has any tips on filling gas at the station to keep from spraying out. I can sometimes burn through a full tank in a day, so I like to keep it completely full. The auto-shut off never kicks off in time, and gas always comes out all over the boat.

The best process I've come up with is to grab 10-12 paper towels (provided for window cleaning) and stuff them around the fill nozzle before I stick it in the boat. I then pack them in as tight as possible around the nozzle and down into the fill tube. This at least keeps the gas from spraying everywhere, and it just runs down the side of the boat. I then use the window cleaner to wipe down the side of the boat and additional towels to dry it off.

I've tried turning my key on to watch the guage and slow down the fill when it gets close to full. This helps, but still results in some gas getting on the boat. It's more hassle, takes more time, and still results in gas on the side of the boat, so I usually don't do this step.

Does anyone else have a better method?

BrooksfamX2
05-05-2012, 10:51 AM
I do not rely on the auto shut off. I baby sit the fill and listen for gas to get close to the top. There used to be a little whistle device you could put in the vent tube. It whistled as the air was push past it and when the gas got to it would stop. Thats the time to stop filling. Not sure if you can still get them...a google search may turn up something..........

vrsc
05-05-2012, 10:52 AM
Interested in hearing some tips as well

BrooksfamX2
05-05-2012, 10:55 AM
heres one.......

http://store.hamiltonmarine.com/browse.cfm/fuel-whistle-fits-all-boats-5-8-fuel-lines-174019-/4,33109.html

madcityskier
05-05-2012, 11:35 AM
x2 on holding the pump by hand and listening for a change in the sound coming from the filler cap.

LaRue
05-05-2012, 12:23 PM
x2 on holding the pump by hand and listening for a change in the sound coming from the filler cap.

Same here.

mtajpa
05-05-2012, 12:28 PM
Ditto!

Alan-S
05-05-2012, 12:28 PM
Listen to the change in the vent sound.

ski/hunt
05-05-2012, 12:36 PM
Go slower at the amount that should be full and listen at the fill hole...you can't set it at full speed and leave it!! Going slower will save time in the end instead of having to clean the boat---now I know who's getting gas in the window wash bin!!

krutzmart
05-05-2012, 01:24 PM
If you fill on the slowest gas pump setting, the shut off will work right, (You might spend your day at the gas pump though)

You have to listen as others have stated. You can hear the change in venting pressure as the tank nears full. Then slow down the pump and top it off.

Just takes a little listening.

krutzmart
05-05-2012, 01:27 PM
My wife left her car filling once last year as she proceeded to go in and pay???
The gas pump shut off just happened to be broke at that time. When she came out of the store there was more gas on the ground then in her car.......
She ran over to shut it off and slipped and feel in it.. OOHHH the burn.....
She learned a very vauleble leason that day...
What do you think the leason was ????
Stand right F&%$#en next to the pump and baby sit it,
PROBLEM SOLVED

Brian B
05-05-2012, 01:30 PM
I'm to the point where I have one of my friends man the handle. I get in the boat, turn the key on and pack coolers and stuff. When the gauge gets to full, I pull up the under seat tray and watch through the tank until it is full...... PITA but so would be a half gallon of gas on fire......

Brian B
05-05-2012, 01:32 PM
My wife left her car filling once last year as she proceeded to go in and pay???
The gas pump shut off just happened to be broke at that time. When she came out of the store there was more gas on the ground then in her car.......
She ran over to shut it off and slipped and feel in it.. OOHHH the burn.....
She learned a very vauleble leason that day...
What do you think the leason was ????
Stand right F&%$#en next to the pump and baby sit it,
PROBLEM SOLVED

Same thing happened to me with a diesel pump. $100 of diesel on the ground......

Red 08 Xstar
05-05-2012, 01:40 PM
I get in the boat and pull the center cushion off. The tank is clear so you can see when it's full.

kgrove
05-05-2012, 06:02 PM
What has worked wonders for me is taking off both gas caps. It seems the extra vent on the opposite side from where I am filling has stopped the "burp" I always used to get at the end. Before I started doing opening both gas caps, I got showered in fuel a couple times, but have had very few spillages since.

g-mantrix
05-05-2012, 11:24 PM
I get in the boat and pull the center cushion off. The tank is clear so you can see when it's full.

Now that's a smart idea. Will keep this in mind next time I fill cos my X2 is an issue at full

Red 08 Xstar
05-05-2012, 11:46 PM
Definitely give it a try. I've never overfilled mine once since I started doing this. Used to get sprayed all the time standing outside the boat.