PDA

View Full Version : Changing Thermostat

bfinley
08-17-2005, 11:05 PM
I seem to have been having some problems with my thermostat sticking. Some days it works fine and stays around 160, but ocassionaly it jumps to 200. I know my impeller is fine and I know my transmission cooler isn't clogged it's got to be the thermostat. Tonight I finally got around to putting a new one in. The old one was in pretty rough shape, fairly corroded. Unfortunately, I didn't pay much attention when I took the old one out. Can you tell me if I put the thermostat in upside down??

bfinley
08-17-2005, 11:06 PM
Along with the thermostat and the thermostat gasket, I received another gasket that I'm not sure what to do with. Does anyone know what this gasket is for??

PeteS
08-18-2005, 08:18 AM
Looks like it's in correctly. The other gasket you recieved is for a different housing, and you won't have much use for it.

I saved mine so that if I ever needed "gasket material" to make a repair, I'd have some available.

jimmer2880
08-18-2005, 09:35 AM
That's the right way.

I've been lucky enough to not need a thermostat gaskey in my boat yet. This is good, since I run 140's in the summer, & 160 in early & late season, as well as remove it during the winterization process (that way I don't need to warm up the boat long enough to open the t-stat). I'd be going through 3 gaskets per year.

bfinley
08-18-2005, 10:44 AM
Gracias Jimmer and Pete

PeteS
08-18-2005, 10:46 AM
That's the right way.

I've been lucky enough to not need a thermostat gaskey in my boat yet. This is good, since I run 140's in the summer, & 160 in early & late season, as well as remove it during the winterization process (that way I don't need to warm up the boat long enough to open the t-stat). I'd be going through 3 gaskets per year.
No worries, bfinley. That's amazing Jimmer! No leaks or anything from the housing?

jimmer2880
08-19-2005, 07:10 PM
No worries, bfinley. That's amazing Jimmer! No leaks or anything from the housing?

nope. Been like that for 5 years now & still going. Guess I'm one of the lucky ones with perfectly flat mating pieces.

bfinley
08-23-2005, 09:31 PM
So I put the new thermostat in - but I'm still running hot. It's running at 180-190 and occasionally spikes to 200-205. The impeller is fine - it was new this year and still looks good. The transmission cooler is not clogged-I just checked it. Any other suggestions, what could it be??

bfinley
08-23-2005, 10:15 PM
Could it be the water pump - how do I test the water pump??

dcrossnrinfinet
08-31-2005, 03:08 PM
I had an intermittent problem with the engine getting too hot. It turns out that there was a piece of silicone sealant that was loose inside the water intake grill and would occasionally get sucked up into the water intake to partially limit the water flow. Once I removed it the problem went away.