PDA

View Full Version : Anyone added surge brakes?

mzimme
05-04-2012, 05:02 PM
Looking to put some surge brakes on my S&S's trailer. My tow vehicle is just a little (I use that term loosely, it's actually big now) XJ cherokee, and the braking is lacking with the boat on the back. I don't trailer it more than a couple miles to the lake, but I'll eventually want to take it to lakes and I'd prefer to be able to stop at highway speeds quicker than I currently can.

Anyone done this? Is it a big job? From what I gathered is I just need the actuator coupler, some surge brake hubs, and some brake line/fittings. That sound about right? Pop the wheels off, pull the hubs off, slide bearings out, put new hubs on, put bearings/seals back on, put wheel on? Am I missing anything?

mikeg205
05-04-2012, 05:04 PM
looks about right. just have to decide - drum or disc.

mzimme
05-04-2012, 05:13 PM
I'd probably go drum just because of cost. I just want SOME supplemental brake power. The setup on the Jeep is front discs and rear drums. They're just made to stop that jeep though. Not to mention, I work the brakes pretty hard when I take it on trails, so it'd be nice to ease the pain a little while it tows.

mikeg205
05-04-2012, 05:36 PM
You can get flexible brake line which makes it very easy to run the brake line. I rebuilt my '95 surge brake - took me a day.... :D

mzimme
05-04-2012, 05:46 PM
You can get flexible brake line which makes it very easy to run the brake line. I rebuilt my '95 surge brake - took me a day.... :D

Flexible as in the rubber stuff, or flexible as in a stainless steel line? Hard lines would be a pain I would think, but I've never run brake lines besides upgrading to stainless lines on my cars/bikes. Not sure what all is involved in longer distances. I feel like a SS brake line in the length I would need would be really expensive. :confused:

mikeg205
05-04-2012, 05:53 PM
rubber stuff...this is what I bought...

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=12850&familyName=Tie+Down+Axle+Brake+Line+Kits

mikeg205
05-04-2012, 05:55 PM
This is the acutator I have... its easy to work on and easy to add on... you just need to weld it to your trailer tongue.

http://www.pacifictrailers.com/UFP-A-60-Brake-Actuator-Replacement-Parts-for-Disc-Drum-brakes/

Miss Rita
05-09-2012, 02:24 PM
Don't even think about drum brakes. They're a pain in the ***, not worth the trouble.

Having said that:

Check your axles to see if they have a square four bolt flange to mount the brakes on. Whether you get disks or drums they need to bolt to something. If there is no flange you may have to get a new axle; no one I've talked to is interested in trying to weld a flange on; it requires high precision. You do NOT want your brakes mounted 1/8" off.